Preview 2019 AFL National Draft

Friday Night Lights

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think you're actually saying the same thing. I thought Merlin007 was suggesting cashing out of next year to focus on this year?

The main way I'd imagine it working is trying to grab a stronger club's 1st and 2nd rounders this year in exchange for our 2020 1st rounder. This would depend on an outside perception we're not going to improve our ladder position.

For instance, would we gamble our 2020 1st rounder for West Coast picks 1 (14-18) + 2 (32-36)?

We then hit the draft with for example: 7, 15, 25, 33, 43. Not a bad hand to retool the list and keeps us out of overinvesting in the pre-selected minefield of 2020.
Like this.

Would also increase the possibility of trading for Papley and keeping our first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
but that's the point, isn't it? swap our first next year for another first this year?
My mistake mate, Thought you were saying to swing this years first for next years, not the other way round.

Considering the number of NGA picks next year that could work in our favour. Especially if a certain team thinks we will fall down the ladder heavily.

Adelaide or GWS might be ones who will end up with a few picks inside the top 20 once all the trades ect have gone through.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Question to those in the know...as a midyear draftee, does Hosie move onto the rookie list?

With CZ moving to the senior list (currently at 39) and with Thommo, Wright, Hrovat, and Watson the departures, it looks like we effectively have 4 draft picks (7, 25, 43, 71) and 0 rookie picks. Is that our likely starting position pre trade & draft?

Firestarter

Premium Platinum
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Question to those in the know...as a midyear draftee, does Hosie move onto the rookie list?

With CZ moving to the senior list (currently at 39) and with Thommo, Wright, Hrovat, and Watson the departures, it looks like we effectively have 4 draft picks (7, 25, 43, 71) and 0 rookie picks. Is that our likely starting position pre trade & draft?

Yes.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I reckon we will delist McKenzie to get a first round rookie pick

And hope we get the McGuinness guy or other NGA players to fill the cat B rookie spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McKenzie was a first round rookie pick in a stronger draft.
Yep and now he can go back in the pool and finish his recovery outside of our list while we choose again hopefully with better luck this time

And maybe one day he McKenzie might end up back on a list

Waussie

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's tall enough to play ruck. Goodes was only about 192. Jackson can play that mobile Ruckman role or play as a third KPF and spend time in the ruck helping out an aging Ruckman. Means Larkey can play 100% as a forward.
Jackson's all around ability and mobility are more valuable than some plodding ruck.
Totally agree.

giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Ok guys, what's the knock on Tom Gribble, if any?

See below

Tom Gribble just win the JJ Liston. I called for us to rookie him back in 2012

Classic case of a kid who’s good at everything but maybe without that one elite trait that recruiters look for. He’s still relatively young, gets lots of ball, no obvious flaws (at least that I’m aware of). Worth a rookie pick?

Edit: Good runner, averaged 30 touches and 7 clearances. What’s not to like?
Possibly Partington is a better kick. There were questions on Gribble’s kicking during his draft year, but he was actually a good kick as a junior and I believe it’s an aspect of his game he’s continued to focus on.

But I reckon we’re screaming out for an athletic onballer who can win heaps of it and contribute at clearances (aka the Gribbler).
Very poor kick and from what I’ve been told doesn’t have the best attitude either. Same reasons Jye Bolton and Hayden Scholithe haven’t been picked up.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Top Bottom