Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Gday mate and thanks for the feedback.
I endeavoured to follow it as best i could and pretty happy with the outcome.
Here is who i selected for North.

Pick 27. Jay Rantall
Hard running midfielder.

Pick 28. Elijah Taylor
Highly talented forward.

Pick 48. Karl Finlay
SA’s premier KPD.

Pick 50. Charlie Comben
Highly rated ruckman/forward.

Good luck to North in the real thing 👍
Where’s Luke Jackson?.. 😉

I
They must think there will be some absolute gems at 32, 50, 53 and 68 in this years draft.
I think they'll take them back in the national draft. They're playing funny buggers with the draft rules, redrafting players they're happy enough with rather than use s**t picks on poor prospects to use up their 3 picks.

I

I think they'll take them back in the national draft. They're playing funny buggers with the draft rules, redrafting players they're happy enough with rather than use s**t picks on poor prospects to use up their 3 picks.

It will be even funnier if it backfires on them.

I

Similar to what has been suggested on here that we should look at potentially with either Jacobs or X. Giving 4 spots and then pick them up again as a rookie

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gday mate and thanks for the feedback.
I endeavoured to follow it as best i could and pretty happy with the outcome.
Here is who i selected for North.

Pick 27. Jay Rantall
Hard running midfielder.

Pick 28. Elijah Taylor
Highly talented forward.

Pick 48. Karl Finlay
SA’s premier KPD.

Pick 50. Charlie Comben
Highly rated ruckman/forward.

Good luck to North in the real thing

I like but problem is we only have 3 spots.... and still missing that run from HB that isn’t fixed by any of these. Or we take Murray as a rookie

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Draft 2019: WA prospect Elijah Taylor, the cousin of West Coast Eagles star Tim Kelly, is hot property ahead of the national draft at Marvel Stadium
Chris Cavanagh Herald Sun
Tuesday, 12 November 2019 1:20PM

In horse racing terms, Elijah Taylor is a breeder’s dream.
On his father’s side of the family tree sit former St Kilda star Nicky Winmar, Derek and Dale Kickett, former Fremantle defender Roger Hayden, former North Melbourne forward Tom Curran and St Kilda ruckman Paddy Ryder.
On his mum’s side of the tree there are West Coast midfielder Tim Kelly, former Eagles pair Troy Ugle and Phil Narkle and Geelong forward Quinton Narkle.

Now Taylor is set to become the latest in the family tree to join the AFL ranks, the skilful mid-sized forward — who plays a little like Collingwood’s Jaidyn Stephenson — shaping as hot property in this year’s draft.
“I’d probably describe myself as pretty quick, good in the air, good around goals,” Taylor said.
“My biggest strength would probably be goalkicking. I’m pretty accurate, either foot within 40m.”
That’s right – Taylor does not have a preference on what foot to kick.
In his first game for Western Australia at the under-18 national championships this year, Taylor recorded seven kicks with his right foot and one with his left.
In the next game he also had eight kicks – five with his left foot and three with his right.
“I’ve just always kicked on both feet ever since I was about eight years old,” Taylor said.
“I think I might kick longer on my left but my right is good too.”
Skilful and smart around goal, Taylor is also good in the air. Credit: The Sunday Times
The 18-year-old trained with Fremantle in pre-season and has been working on his fitness which had been the major knock on him.
“It (training with the Dockers) gave me a little insight into the AFL workload and all the players go through week-in, week-out,” Taylor said.
“One of my goals at the end of last year was to get my 2km under seven minutes and I ran 6min 53 sec so that was good.”
Expected to be a late first-round or second-round selection, the Dockers (pick 22) are one club in the frame to secure Taylor’s services, while he could also suit the likes of Port Adelaide (picks 18 and 29), Sydney (pick 25) or North Melbourne (picks 26 and 27).
Taylor also ranked second for agility in testing at the national combine last month.
With his family split between West Coast and Fremantle supporters, Taylor decided to be different and first followed Collingwood before switching colours to Richmond more recently.
His favourite player hailed from the Magpies – 2010 premiership forward Leon Davis.
“I try to sculpt my game how he played,” Taylor said of Davis.
“Also Alan Didak. I loved watching those two players.”

On his father’s side of the family tree sit former St Kilda star Nicky Winmar, Derek and Dale Kickett, former Fremantle defender Roger Hayden, former North Melbourne forward Tom Curran and St Kilda ruckman Paddy Ryder.
On his mum’s side of the tree there are West Coast midfielder Tim Kelly, former Eagles pair Troy Ugle and Phil Narkle and Geelong forward Quinton Narkle.

Seems an odd connection.

Curran has indigenous heritage or Taylor some on the Anglo side?

Both Pickett and Taylor appear to be now in demand.... hopefully that doesn’t push both into the teens

I have no researched view on their comparative worths.

Which actually places me in the top 5 best credentialed posters in this thread.

I have no researched view on their comparative worths.

Which actually places me in the top 5 best credentialed posters in this thread.

Nailed it.

1573601576921.png

See at least when giantroo and before that skipper pumped out heaps of highlights and/or involvement videos, you could watch pretty much every prospect's noteable acts in 2-3 different games and build a sense of them.

As a result while you were still eons from having a credible real world recruitment opinion, you did at least have something worth discussing.

Now most of the collated footage that reaches the masses comes in late and is pieced between Q&A sessions with a tiny sample of draftees.

As an example, to declare Pickett, Taylor etc as preferred options, I'd like to have at least watched clips of the 20-30 odd top prospects floating around in multiple games. That isn't so easy to do now and frankly I couldn't CBF'd nowadays either.

See at least when giantroo and before that skipper pumped out heaps of highlights and/or involvement videos, you could watch pretty much every prospect's noteable acts in 2-3 different games and build a sense of them.

As a result while you were still eons from having a credible real world recruitment opinion, you did at least have something worth discussing.

Now most of the collated footage that reaches the masses comes in late and is pieced between Q&A sessions with a tiny sample of draftees.

As an example, to declare Pickett, Taylor etc as preferred options, I'd like to have at least watched clips of the 20-30 odd top prospects floating around in multiple games. That isn't so easy to do now and frankly I couldn't CBF'd nowadays either.
My highlights reel would have won a Brownlow, but the time I falconed my coach when he was sitting up in the coaches box looking down at the magnets board* suggests I should have stuck with chess.

Its just as important to see what guys are doing with out the ball, as much as they are doing with the ball.

* may or may not be a true story.

I feel less desire to check out clips of players around our picks and it’s mainly because those picks may change through live trading. The live trading is good, but it kinda makes any pre-draft hopes a bit moot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back