Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's rich at all, the academies were a disaster from the start.

We haven't gained anything, I consider it a net zero return at the moment, considering we lost a F/S 2 picks later because of the very existance of another academy side.

To say we've gained an advantage is ridiculous, considering we absorbed a massive loss at almost exactly the same time.
Yeah, fair point. I didn't consider the Blakey situation when I posted that.

Maybe “scrap” the Academies when the AFL allows Academy teams full time access to the NAB League. Vic teams play week in week out as a club whilst the Academy teams play a 6 week carnival. No passion built, no rivalries, no history and once the last game is played no contact from the senior AFL clubs. Kids go back to their local team so they can get a game. No train / No game seems to be a standard policy for a lot of senior clubs so the lads stop going to Academy. Northern State teams will not improve until the above happens and the AFL are serious about having a truly national system. A Mickey Mouse carnival, a few games in Allies if they are good enough and then back to local Colts or Senior footy. Tough to improve if you aren’t playing against a high standard every week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The NAB League isn't AFL run, it's run by AFL Victoria.

Just as the NEAFL competition in QLD is run by AFLQ.

It's up to AFLQ with the shitload of funding they receive each year from the TV rights to improve the grass roots level.

Also, scrap the academies if the rest of the competition funds a national U/18's for 17 year olds to travel up and down the country every weekend during their final year of high school, just so we don't have a rorted draft concession? Just because?

Also, what does u/18 kids in QLD playing every week around the country have anything to do with you giving up your draft concessions?

The northern states want it exactly the way it is at the moment, a steady flow of kids they only get access too.

My counter argument would be, if we fund the National u/18's the northern states are restricted to recruiting from within their own state. Why would it be the other way around?

Re-reading I agree with your skeptical view. Was only pointing out that WA/SA access is nearer parity with Victoria.

If you want a laugh have a read of the NGA guidelines, was deep in the AFL site or somewhere.

Unintentionally hilarious watching dips**ts trying not to look racist while writing a policy that is incredibly arbitrary and racist in its criteria.

Examples: if your mum is Welsh - no dice. But if your mum is Polish - welcome, you're NGA!

I mean who the **** comes up with this s**t. Why not just admit that the NSW/QLD academies were unmitigated rort and farce, scrap them and save adding in all this extra unnecessary imbalanced complexity to the draft process?

Bonus points for their stupidity when you try saying NGA phonetically..
Think you'll find both parents need to be from Poland.

My Point being is to have a National Under 18 comp that all kids can play in year in year out, I don’t care who funds it’s. I agree with your point of no priority access to players by Northern clubs if they can play at a high level all the time improving in front of all scouts weekly. Change the names to something other then then AFL teams if you like and make it truly National. You forget that not all kids in Australia are doing year 12 with many “northern” kids already finished last year in their 17th year in NSW & QLD and are either working or at UNI already. I’m not sure who “we“ are funding but one would have to presume you are talking about Victoria being the financier of all things football. On your premise Tarryn Thomas, Aaron Hall & Big Ben Brown would be playing for Tassie?,
Jed Sanderson would be in NEAFL for NT Thunder, Bailey Scott would be with the Suns, Kayne Turner would be GWS & Declan Watson would be with the Lions. North Melbourne have a bit of talent from Academies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting. Obviously you can't fit them all in but there are some quality prospects missing from that top 25:

SA:

Kysaiah Pickett
Harry Schoenberg

Metro:

Trent Bianco

Jay Rantall
Cooper Stephens

WA:

Riley Garcia
Jeremy Sharp
Trent Rivers

Allies:

Mitch O'Neill
Conor Budarick

You obviously watched a fair bit of the carnival. Did you notice a small forward/midfielder playing for Vic metro named Jack Mahoney? His old man, Brett, works with a mate of mine and played two games for Richmond back in the day. I have been hearing very good reports for two years and belief is he is a top ten prospect although he doesn't appear in Callum Twomey's list.

You obviously watched a fair bit of the carnival. Did you notice a small forward/midfielder playing for Vic metro named Jack Mahoney? His old man, Brett, works with a mate of mine and played two games for Richmond back in the day. I have been hearing very good reports for two years and belief is he is a top ten prospect although he doesn't appear in Callum Twomey's list.

Mahoney is a little ripper. Reminds me a lot of Leigh Adams with a few more tricks. He cracks in hard, and would be one of the best ball users in this draft crop. He has been around the mark at rep level since under 14’s.

He averaged around 20 touches and a goal per game at the champs which is nothing to be sneezed at for a half forward.

Only problem is is that he is only 175-ish cm. Which probably means he’ll fall to that 25-40 range on draft night i’d Imagine

Mahoney is a little ripper. Reminds me a lot of Leigh Adams with a few more tricks. He cracks in hard, and would be one of the best ball users in this draft crop. He has been around the mark at rep level since under 14’s.

He averaged around 20 touches and a goal per game at the champs which is nothing to be sneezed at for a half forward.

Only problem is is that he is only 175-ish cm. Which probably means he’ll fall to that 25-40 range on draft night i’d Imagine

Sounds like you wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up on the North list? I believe he is around 180cm. We did have a reasonable player who only stood 174cm....

The only fair solution to this academy business is to make the draft age 9. The draft would be roughly 1,000 rounds long, as every kid in Australia would be eligible. Then clubs can pay for development teams located in each region to develop these kids as they mature.

Wasn't Messi at Barcelona from about 11 years of age?

Sounds like you wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up on the North list? I believe he is around 180cm. We did have a reasonable player who only stood 174cm....

Probably for a pick after 30 and I think you’d be getting good value. In saying that we are pretty packed for small forward types, so probably not someone we’d target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I took Lachlan Ash with the first pick and now wait for the pick in the 20s and honestly the draft is stupidly close between 20-45 and it’s also close after that aswel so if there was any certain types you want taken for North feel free to let me know

Sorted out our need for an elite half back. I’d look to the best available at the next pick. Genuine centre square mid or a speedy wingman would probably be ideal.

Main thing I think with this draft would be prioritising foot skills, if we don’t add a ruckman during the trade period we’d probably look to add one late in the ND or in the rookie draft.

Last edited:
Probably for a pick after 30 and I think you’d be getting good value. In saying that we are pretty packed for small forward types, so probably not someone we’d target.
We have two crumbing forwards on the list, Turner and Wilkinson. WC had three playing last night. I think it is our first priority.

Can we please just draft a half decent MEDIUM DEFENDER!?!?!

Don't care if its with pick 5-10 but someone that can defend 1 on 1 and kick accurately our of the D50.

We are seriously f***ed when Tarrant and Thompson retire if we don't....

Gould is the most like you describe. He plays similar to Hurn. Hayes will probably go top 5 & I think is a bit taller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back