Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom line is that we need to engineer two picks in the top 20. The best teams in last 20 years, Lions. Cats and Hawks had clusters of young talent that matured together and became the keys to their sustained success. We have a good base with LDU, Larkey,Jy,TT, WW, CZ, Scott and Ahern. Best young group in 20 years but we need to be ruthless by adding to it.

PhantomFormGuiden03.jpg

9/2/01
179cm/82kg
Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Midfielder/forward

Serong has gone back to school football for Geelong Grammar since his brilliant national carnival for Vic Country, when he was a star in the midfield. The 18-year-old is a short but powerful prospect who impacts games regularly: he has a burst in tight spaces, he fights and contests for possessions, and when he's around goal he is crafty and strong above his head for his size. An AFL pre-season uninterrupted by cricket duties will help his fitness but he has some exciting traits.

AugPhantom-Form-Guide-6.jpg

21/6/01
186cm/80kg
Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Defender

The speedy half-back has spent some more time in the midfield of late, taking his genuine zip into the engine room. Ash plays well most times he runs onto a field, no matter his position. He stood up at the national carnival as co-captain of Vic Country, taking some of the big moments and making them his. He enjoys tucking the ball under his arm and backing himself to break the lines, and very few can catch Ash when he's darting through traffic.

PhantomFormGuiden07.jpg

1/5/01
193cm/82kg
Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Utility

It was a shattering blow for Kemp, who went down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament playing for school side Geelong Grammar. The knee reconstruction will see him unavailable until late next year, meaning he will start his AFL career on the sidelines. It was especially disappointing given Kemp had just hit the best form of his season after a brilliant finish to the championships for Vic Country. Kemp had started to show his skills as a strong and tall midfielder with good reach above his head. The injury could shift his draft position slightly but he still looms as a first-round selection.

AugPhantom-Form-Guide-13.jpg

8/1/01
183cm/70kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

Stephens saved his best game of the championships for last, when he performed well for South Australia against the Allies. He has done some nice things at senior level for Norwood, including a classy goal two weeks ago against North Adelaide that saw him zip away from the centre square, accelerate when under pressure and nail the running shot. Continues to show Andrew Gaff-like tendencies as a run and carry left-footer.

Last edited:
Once again, what is the %?

3 of 50 or 100?

So your saying as long as North aren't the counter party, the uncontracted player will likely leave if he hasn re-signed by August.
Mate, you have time to drum up these ridiculous trades, sure you could find the time to do the math on incumbents re signing at their clubs.

And don't put words in my mouth. I provided 3 recent examples, nothing more.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, you have time to drum up these ridiculous trades, sure you could find the time to do the math on incumbents re signing at their clubs.

And don't put words in my mouth. I provided 3 recent examples, nothing more.

Ok so unless Brad Scott and Cam Joyce are the buying party, the % is 100? This is the evidence you are presenting.

Which ridiculous trades are you talking about Schwein? Ridiculous in general or just to you.

You reply in disgust at every post, surely you have some time to discuss the ones you disagree with and provide evidence as to why they are a) unrealistic and not in our best interest or b) involve a player that you would like to keep in order to continue finishing 9-15 or c) just want to disagree with someone because your life is really boring and it's 3 working days until your next delivery of Flakka arrives?

We are discussing Goldstein who is yet to re-sign on August 7 2019 as a possible departure in October, how the * is that ridiculous?

You don't have to reply, you can just ignore. There is no obligation on your part to involve yourself FFS.

Ok so unless Brad Scott and Cam Joyce are the buying party, the % is 100? This is the evidence you are presenting.

Which ridiculous trades are you talking about Schwein? Ridiculous in general or just to you.

You reply in disgust at every post, surely you have some time to discuss the ones you disagree with and provide evidence as to why they are a) unrealistic and not in our best interest or b) involve a player that you would like to keep in order to continue finishing 9-15 or c) just want to disagree with someone because your life is really boring and it's 3 working days until your next delivery of Flakka arrives?

We are discussing Goldstein who is yet to re-sign on August 7 2019 as a possible departure in October, how the fu** is that ridiculous?

You don't have to reply, you can just ignore. There is no obligation on your part to involve yourself FFS.
You love making long tenuous links that simply don't exist. The fact goldy hasn't signed doesn't mean he is gone as you suggest. It means he hasn't signed. Simple. He may leave, but for every example of players who have left there are others who have re signed at their incumbent club.

Further to that, you trawl the Jmac forum slagging him to high heaven, then use him as trade bait for guys like Papley. That isn't unrealistic, it is actually ridiculous. If you don't want ridiculous theorems potted on here, don't post them. This is a forum, so the fact you post them suggests you want feedback. In this instance I have provided it.

As for what trades and that sort of jazz we would offer, I'm firmly of the belief our players are probably worth more to us than to other clubs. As in, I would prefer we retained guys routinely used as trade bait up here like JMac, Dumont, Turner etc than a lottery 3rd or 4th round we would get in return. If we WANT papley, then we will rightfully have to cough up for him. Someone said our 2nd isn't enough, and our first is too much. I'd agree with that. As you suggested JMac for Papley, whilst is great for us, is completely lopsided and shows you don't know arthur from martha

You love making long tenuous links that simply don't exist. The fact goldy hasn't signed doesn't mean he is gone as you suggest. It means he hasn't signed. Simple. He may leave, but for every example of players who have left there are others who have re signed at their incumbent club.

Further to that, you trawl the Jmac forum slagging him to high heaven, then use him as trade bait for guys like Papley. That isn't unrealistic, it is actually ridiculous. If you don't want ridiculous theorems potted on here, don't post them. This is a forum, so the fact you post them suggests you want feedback. In this instance I have provided it.

As for what trades and that sort of jazz we would offer, I'm firmly of the belief our players are probably worth more to us than to other clubs. As in, I would prefer we retained guys routinely used as trade bait up here like JMac, Dumont, Turner etc than a lottery 3rd or 4th round we would get in return. If we WANT papley, then we will rightfully have to cough up for him. Someone said our 2nd isn't enough, and our first is too much. I'd agree with that. As you suggested JMac for Papley, whilst is great for us, is completely lopsided and shows you don't know arthur from martha

Fair enough, thanks for a good response.

I actually said jmac played really well on the weekend, so yes a subsequent post was not as flattering but it was more to balance out the absurd nonsense of Philly/SB who were engaging in the ultimate I told you so after his one really good performance for the year. The zest for one-upmanship is beyond rational thought with some.

I brought up Jmac in the Papley trade based on a few things that happen in the AFL. Clubs overpay for players who perform well against their teams, it's a fact. But also, jmacs hypothetical trade value was increased based on his great performance in prime time on a Friday night, not to mention he would appear to be a decent fit for the Swans and i really don't want to involve our first pick in any Trade for Pap irrespective of his 'perceived value'.

I will agree to disagree re: the Dumont's/Turner's/Tyson's/Goldy/Jmac/Atley who I think we should listen to offers, but I'm not as welded to these types as you seem to be. A lot will depend on Shaws willingness to put his own stamp on the team.

For the record, Macmillan is highishly rated in the AFL world outside our own supporters for some reason.

Macmillan + 2020 R2 for Papley is a decent trade for the Swans for a bloke they got for nothing. They also have academy kids next year they will need points for which may be of interest to them.

I actually said jmac played really well on the weekend, so yes a subsequent post was not as flattering but it was more to balance out the absurd nonsense of Philly/SB who were engaging in the ultimate I told you so after his one really good performance for the year. The zest for one-upmanship is beyond rational thought with some.

I brought up Jmac in the Papley trade based on a few things that happen in the AFL. Clubs overpay for players who perform well against their teams, it's a fact. But also, jmacs hypothetical trade value was increased based on his great performance in prime time on a Friday night, not to mention he would appear to be a decent fit for the Swans and i really don't want to involve our first pick in any Trade for Pap irrespective of his 'perceived value'.

I will agree to disagree re: the Dumont's/Turner's/Tyson's/Goldy/Jmac/Atley who I think we should listen to offers, but I'm not as welded to these types as you seem to be. A lot will depend on Shaws willingness to put his own stamp on the team.

For the record, Macmillan is highishly rated in the AFL world outside our own supporters for some reason.

Macmillan + 2020 R2 for Papley is a decent trade for the Swans for a bloke they got for nothing. They also have academy kids next year they will need points for which may be of interest to them.
If you can get Papley for JMAC and 2020 r2 then I would be happy for you to be on trade committee That would be a steal for us but good luck getting the Swans to agree to it.

If you can get Papley for JMAC and 2020 r2 then I would be happy for you to be on trade committee That would be a steal for us but good luck getting the Swans to agree to it.

It would certainly be my opening offer. All you can do is ask.

The alternative is 2020 R1 for Papley + 40 or something like that, which to me is massive overs.

Going to be interesting to see what they ask for.

A late/rookie prospect from left field is Werribee forward/wingman Bior Malual.

Sudanese footballer, 22 y.o played a few games for western jets a few years ago after only being introduced to football at age 16.

After winning BOG in the EDFL granny last year and winning Airport West’s best and fairest he got listed by Werribee. He is 188cm and only 70kg but he is lightning quick, has a freakish vertical leap and is an elite runner. Haven’t seen him play myself but a few guys down at Werribee said his development has been off the charts this year and he has scouts watching him every game. Mark Williams has said if he was still in the AFL system he would have no hesitation picking up, because he had the ability to turn a game on its head.

He played in the forward pocket on the weekend for Werribee and kicked 4.1 to go with his 20 touches. Has kicked 18 goals for the year and averaged 13 disposals per game.

The old two surnames - is a no go :drunk:

It would certainly be my opening offer. All you can do is ask.

The alternative is 2020 R1 for Papley + 40 or something like that, which to me is massive overs.

Going to be interesting to see what they ask for.
Why 2020 and not this years 1st Obviously must be a reason cause you have mentioned next years a few times now. Just curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say I am rusted onto our players, just that for every Zurhaar or Larkey we may snare in the latter stages of the draft there are dozens of Josh Williams and Daniel Nielsons. I like trading for established players, and trying to avoid trading our ones given their likely worth come draft time is a genuine lottery in the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. A bird in the hand? So if it means shipping off a JMac or a Dumont for a 3rd or 4th round pick, no thanks I'd rather keep them

Rhai Arn Cox (East Perth) Was a gun junior but had off field issues. Getting to Victoria could be good for him

The 2017 WA U16s State Academy member showed off his flair and offensive tricks in the forward half for the Royals. He collected 14 possessions, recorded two inside 50s and kicked a goal in a solid performance. As a small forward, Cox boasts excellent goal sense and the ability to take strong contested marks – similar to how West Coast star Liam Ryan plays.

Last edited:
Rhai Arn Cox (East Perth) Was a gun junior but had off field issues. Getting to Victoria could be good for him

The 2017 WA U16s State Academy member showed off his flair and offensive tricks in the forward half for the Royals. He collected 14 possessions, recorded two inside 50s and kicked a goal in a solid performance. As a small forward, Cox boasts excellent goal sense and the ability to take strong contested marks – similar to how West Coast star Liam Ryan plays.

Why does it not surprise me that someone with a name Rhai Arn has off field issues? I'd be pissed off with the world too if I had to explain to every person I met how to spell my name.

Why does it not surprise me that someone with a name Rhai Arn has off field issues? I'd be pi**ed off with the world too if I had to explain to every person I met how to spell my name.
It reminds me of this bloke called Michael utensil who hated his name so much that he changed it to Dale utensil.

Why does it not surprise me that someone with a name Rhai Arn has off field issues? I'd be pi**ed off with the world too if I had to explain to every person I met how to spell my name.

His parents should be taken out and shot.

It's no wonder the world is overflowing with w***ers.

I think this is a reasonable trade but on the basis that i rate JMac alot higher than you and others here.

And he's not a perfect player by a long shot - yes he has flaws. But the Swans wanted Clarke so I imagine they don't value hardness in every player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back