Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Gippy Roo

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2018
Gippsland, VIC.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sam’s a great kid! Working hard and dedicated. Wants to be number 1 pick. Not sure of the details but I heard he was unhappy with the Pies and Swans interview processes. He’s willing to go interstate too! I see him pretty regularly. Would be a great pick up for any team including North.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I’m not sure we need to pick a player who won’t play next year due to an ACL.

There will be too many other quality players around our pick that won’t have the injury risk.

In the event kemp slide to the mid teens we could look to live trade to get him then.
Would be shocked if he went out side the top 10.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Touch and go I think.

He was a sure thing before the knee.

I can see some clubs over looking him in favour of guys who test well at the combine!

We’ll see though!

He was top 4 before the injury. Max King still went at 4 last year coming off an ACL. I think a team like the Swans could still take Kemp at 4. Also if Freo have 5 & 6 (Hill) they also might look at taking him as a long term project.

Massive upside.

Have seen a little bit of the Seagulls this year

While I am probably not quite as high on Hibberd as a lot here are or seem to be, his body of work is pretty impressive. From what I can gather he has worked his arse off to get himself in as good shape as possible and has reaped the rewards in what I understand to be a fairly uncompromising system under Collins

Clearly he is physically extremely developed, more so than he was at North, which speaks volumes to his preparation and drive - while the Gulls are not exactly the Manangatang-Tooleybuc Galahs in terms of their facilities, they're not an AFL club either, and to improve his physicality after being delisted is a feather in his cap

The same issues however persist. He would suit best as an inside midfielder at AFL level as that's where he has dominated this season. But his disposal is still questionable. Standing right behind some of his kicks on Saturday, he does have a tendency to spray the odd couple that players of his talent should be hitting. It's probably a little better than it was when he was a North player however which again speaks to what he has been able to get out of himself. I believe he started his own personal training business as well.

Willy produce good footballers who consistently get looked at by AFL clubs and IMO Hibbo would be pretty unlucky to not get a crack somewhere next season. However we are fairly well stocked for his type of player and so I don't think it will be us

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks like one of Serong/Ash/Young/Flanders will be available at our pick, can't go wrong with any of that lot. Kemp could very well be the best in it (same for Luke Jackson) but unless we've got a second 1st rounder the risk looks too great imo

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
From AFL Draft Central: "He knows how to hit the scoreboard and has a long kick but could tidy it up when at full-speed."
Sounds a bit like Ziebell.

There you go. Read a couple of reports on him after the talk in this thread and the themes were how he could project well as a KPF turned mid, has good acceleration, marking and strength.

But not that info on his use or midfield craft. Sounds a bit too speculative for a top 10 pick for mine.

So watch him now become the next Kouta..

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There you go. Read a couple of reports on him after the talk in this thread and the themes were how he could project well as a KPF turned mid, has good acceleration, marking and strength.

But not that info on his use or midfield craft. Sounds a bit too speculative for a top 10 pick for mine.

So watch him now become the next Kouta..
You'd be kicking yourself if you missed the next Fyfe or Bont but a low disposal type hybrid mid coming off an ACL is a greater than usual risk you'd usually want to take with a top ten pick.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks like one of Serong/Ash/Young/Flanders will be available at our pick, can't go wrong with any of that lot. Kemp could very well be the best in it (same for Luke Jackson) but unless we've got a second 1st rounder the risk looks too great imo
Hope you’re right, but there’s a real chance they are gone by the time Gold Coast’s priority pick and GWS’ academy selection bumps our first down to pick 9.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Hope you’re right, but there’s a real chance they are gone by the time Gold Coast’s priority pick and GWS’ academy selection bumps our first down to pick 9.
Reamed again by a GWS & GS compromised draft.. who said lightning doesn't strike twice?..

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plenty of talent available at our first pick. I'm more interested in our other picks and what we do at the trade table. That is where we have to improve as a club.

Back