Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sam Flanders' hopes of being a top-10 pick were increased. His explosive streak came through the tests – he was among the best for the vertical jump and agility – and backed it up by reaching level 21.3 in the YoYo.

After that it's interesting. Flanders, Caleb Serong, Lachie Ash, Dylan Stephens and Hayden Young were among the likely early selections to test, with Young taking out the agility test (7.94 seconds), and Ash and Stephens also did well in pace and endurance tests.

Who will rise from here?
The draft position of ruckman Luke Jackson is fascinating. Clubs within the top-10 are considering taking the talented West Australian, while others are keen to get picks high enough to nab him. It would break with a trend, but he's ready to play and has some special skills for a ruck.
He is worth an inside 10 pick, not to many boys his size that are this mobile. A clean finished.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s incredibly unprofessional.

Use one of the other 1500 vacant grounds around Victoria.

These kids have been kicking footy’s around for the past 2 years if the recruiters don’t know what their skills are like by now then they probably don’t deserve to have a job.

For the men's Combine, club interviews will be held at the superboxes at Rod Laver Arena and medical screenings will take place at the MCG.

Margaret Court Arena will house the athletic Combine tests, such as the agility, speed, Yo-Yo and jump tests, while an arena for the 2km time trial has yet be locked in but will close the Combine on the final day.

However due to the move away from Marvel Stadium, the skills tests, which included kicking, handballing and goalkicking drills, will not be staged at this year's revised Combine structure.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These kids have been kicking footy’s around for the past 2 years if the recruiters don’t know what their skills are like by now then they probably don’t deserve to have a job.

Agree, but shouldn’t they also know who can run fast and jump high?

If you’re going to run tests at least be professional about it.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree, but shouldn’t they also know who can run fast and jump high?

If you’re going to run tests at least be professional about it.

They test at the beginning of the season, middle of the season (not published, done at club level) and at the combine. It’s more to test improvement/professionalism across the last 24 months more than anything.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

For the men's Combine, club interviews will be held at the superboxes at Rod Laver Arena and medical screenings will take place at the MCG.

Margaret Court Arena will house the athletic Combine tests, such as the agility, speed, Yo-Yo and jump tests, while an arena for the 2km time trial has yet be locked in but will close the Combine on the final day.

However due to the move away from Marvel Stadium, the skills tests, which included kicking, handballing and goalkicking drills, will not be staged at this year's revised Combine structure.

A multi million dollar enterprise just dropped a whole component of the screening process because a venue was unavailable.

You couldn' make this tripe up.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Really interesting player imo. Aside from his speed, aggression and kicking, the thing that stands out for me is his intensity. I think that’s an intangible that can’t be measured in kids and is a very good indicator for those that are going to make it. Gould looks like Scott Thompson in that regard to me.

My 2 concerns with Gould are physical. 1: he is a beast of a kid. Hence you would think his scope for physical development is less than most others. 2: his height. He won’t be true key position height which sucks. Another 4-5 cm and we are talking top 5 for sure I think. But that said Sydney have built a defence on guys like Gould so maybe it’s not the be all and end all depending on who you pair him with down back.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really interesting player imo. Aside from his speed, aggression and kicking, the thing that stands out for me is his intensity. I think that’s an intangible that can’t be measured in kids and is a very good indicator for those that are going to make it. Gould looks like Scott Thompson in that regard to me.

My 2 concerns with Gould are physical. 1: he is a beast of a kid. Hence you would think his scope for physical development is less than most others. 2: his height. He won’t be true key position height which sucks. Another 4-5 cm and we are talking top 5 for sure I think. But that said Sydney have built a defence on guys like Gould so maybe it’s not the be all and end all depending on who you pair him with down back.
He looks like the kind of player you can pluck from the state leagues, exactly like Thompson or Tom Stewart. I reckon he'll slide out of the 1st round because of this and poor athletic testing. I certainly wouldn't be taking him with our first. Very much a natural footballer though, someone you could live trade up for if he's still on the board at pick 20ish.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Inside midfielders by definition don't spread. We are covered for them.

I suspect you're referring to burst centre square midfielders (Dangerfield/Judd types). Blokes that hit the ball at speed.

Based on what I have seen, there won't be one available at our draft pick.

Yeah confident Jy, LDU, and TT will show plenty of burst from congestion consistently well 2021 onwards.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He looks like the kind of player you can pluck from the state leagues, exactly like Thompson or Tom Stewart. I reckon he'll slide out of the 1st round because of this and poor athletic testing. I certainly wouldn't be taking him with our first. Very much a natural footballer though, someone you could live trade up for if he's still on the board at pick 20ish.

Poor testing? That’s interesting. What aspect was poor?

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Malcolm Rosas

15. MALCOLM ROSAS

DOB:27/06/2001
Height:175 cm
Weight: 64 kg
Debut:Round 19 - 2018 vs Redland Bombers
Games: 8
2019:5
Goals: 4
2019:4

PLAYER BIO
After earning his spot in the Futures Under 17s team that played in the 2018 AFL Grand Final curtain raiser game, Malcolm ‘Mally’ Rosas has proved that he is certainly a player to watch. In 2018 fresh off a successful under 16s national campaign representing the NT, where he was given All-Australian honours for averaging 18 disposals, 4.5 inside 50s and four tackles per game, Rosas made his NEAFL debut in Round 19 against Redland. Known for his elite speed and athleticism, Rosas first played for the Darwin Buffaloes Men’s Premier League side as a 15-years-old in the 2016/17 season before going on to play 16 senior games in the 2017/18 season and being awarded the competition’s Rising Star for 2018/19.

--

175cm - that's not prohibitively short.

How does he go on lead guitar? Looks like a young Kirk Hammett.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
So they test them on athletics part but not the actual footballing stuff.

You just can’t make this s**t up

Yeah well for what it’s worth had MLB over here testing 12-15 year olds. Literally no skills, all athletics. No fielding, batting, accuracy etc, just measures running speed, horizontal leap, pitch velocity, throw velocity off a hop, and bat swing speed. The rest they reckon they can coach/teach!

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't get too hyped about this athletics stuff.

Bring on the kicking tests.
Tend to agree with you mate, however old Bread Mac could kick it as good as anyone we’ve seen but couldn’t get near it. 2 way running ball magnets is the only way. I like Stephens and Rantall as both seem to fit that category, Stephens less of a magnet though, but takes em on.

STATE COMBINE RESULTS
See the best results from the 2019 Rookie Me State Combine, with a number of Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear VFL players featuring.

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP
Andrew Courtney (Sandringham Dragons): 81cm
Joel Ottavi (Williamstown): 79cm
Ayce Taylor (Northern Knights): 78cm
Alex Cincotta (Geelong VFL): 77cm
Nigel Lockyer (NT Thunder): 76cm

Best at National Combine: Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons) 77cm

Combine record (89cm): Jordan Gallucci (ex-Eastern Ranges) in 2016 and Aiden Bonar (ex-Dandenong Stingrays) in 2017

RUNNING VERTICAL JUMP
Jeremy O’Sullivan (Calder Cannons): 96cm
Andrew Courtney (Sandringham Dragons): 94cm
Jake Riccardi (Werribee): 92cm
Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays): 92cm
Brodie Newman (Calder Cannons): 92cm
Nathan Stewart (Calder Cannons): 92cm

Best at National Combine: Brady Rowles (Bendigo Pioneers) 98cm

Combine record (103cm): Kyron Hayden in 2017

20-METRE SPRINT
Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays): 2.855
Ryan Gardner (Northern Knights): 2.927