Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the full breakdown of the podcast mock. The guys thought that up to around mid 30's most of the picks were pretty solid and it became more speculative after that.

1(GC)-Anderson
2(GC)-Rowell
3(MEL)-Young
4(GWS)-Green
5(ADE)-Flanders
6(SYD)-Jackson
7(FRE)-Robertson
8(MEL)-Ash
9(CAR)-Serong
10(FRE)-Gould
11(HAW)-McAsey
12(PA)-D.Stephens
13(FRE)-Henry
14(WB)-Weightman
15(GEE)-Kemp
16(GC)-Rivers
17(BRI)-Worrell
18(GEE)-De Koning
19(PA)-Schoenberg
20(RIC)-Sharp
21(PA)-Mead
22(GC)-Bianco
23(BRI)-Bergman
24(HAW)-Maginness
25(ADE)-Taheny
26(GEE)-C.Stephens
27(SYD)-Hilder
28(NM)-Pickett
29(NM)-Jeka
30(ADE)-O'Neill
31(ESS)-Comben
32(SYD)-Cahill
33(ESS)-Williams
34(BRI)-Bryan
35(COL)-Taylor
36(GEE)-Rantall
37(ADE)-Day
38(BRI)-Cumberland
39(RIC)-Cassar
40(RIC)-Baldi
41(GWS)-D'Intinosante

Others of note not mentioned who could slide to #47

Dow
Jones
Philp
Ralphsmith
Mott
Mahony
Phillips

Jeka @29 is a massive reach. He’ll be lucky to be taken inside 40.

My haul in the Bigfooty Draft

North Melbourne Summary

Pick 28 - Dylan Wiiliams - Medium Utility
Pick 29 - Sam De Koning - Key Defender/Forward
Pick 47 - Hugo Ralphsmith - Medium Forward/Wingman
Pick 50 - Ned Cahill - Small Forward/Midfield
Pick 75 - Brady Rowles - Rebound Defender/Wingman

I thought i got good value for all the players taken while also filling some needs aswell. Williams and De Koning believe are top 20 talents with Ralphsmith a bargain who i think he is a top 30 prospect with Cahill not far behind. Rowles is a boom/bust pick that could be anything but you take a chance on his ability to run and carry and how he goes in an elite environment. Was really tempted to take Kozzie Pickett with pick 28 but considering i got Cahill at 50 i feel a lot more comfortable with the decision as Williams could be a superstar if he stays injury free and can put all his talent together. De Koning I’m super stoked with as i thought a few clubs would pounce early in the 20s.

Pick 28 - North Melbourne - Dylan Williams
186cm 81kg Medium Utility

Williams has been on clubs radars for awhile now and he certainly caught the eye with a 4 goal game at the championships last year and dominating the TAC Cup finals series last year and unfortunately copped a bad injury this year which kept him from taking part in Oakleigh’s finals series and missing out on winning a grand final after narrowly missing a chance last year.

Williams has huge X-factor with his elite leap and agility, clean hands and an incredible knack around goals able to kick them from the boundary with ease or swing around picking up a loose ball. Williams can also go into defence where he has shown a good ability to intercept mark and rebound well and run smoothly in transition and he made an impact this year when given time in the midfield showing good power and an ability to win clearances. The questions have been his injury worries and his endurance/work rate but his best is electric and he still has a lot of potential and at the end of the day he is a hard player to pass up.

Why North?
Best player available and he has the versatility and excitement that makes him a good investment, I’d play him as a small forward early but will need to improve his endurance to have an impact right away.

Considered: Elijah Taylor, Kysaiah Pickett, Thomson Dow, Hugo Ralphsmith

Pick 29 - North Melbourne - Sam De Koning
201cm 86kg Tall Utility

De Koning has loads of potential and shapes as the Percy modern day swing man with his height and athletic traits but he doesn’t just look the part he also plays the part with his ability to read the play and intercept aswell as rebound effectively and use the ball smartly around the ground. De Koning has battled with consistency but he really impressed at the right time playing well at the championships earning AA honours.

De Koning is 201cm and still growing, playing as a rebound defender at 186cm at the under 16 championships he has now grown to proper key position size and hasn’t lost his movement in traffic and clean ball handling as his gotten taller and its only made him look more impressive for such a tall player. He is preferred down back but has shown to be dangerous up forward although his set shot routine is a work in progress, with his height he could be used in the ruck and the main thing I could see him offering is in the work around the ground as he isnt flustered with ball in hand and makes the right options. De Koning issues have been his consistency, strength and kicking but you find many key defenders at his age struggle with their kicking even AFL key defenders now aren’t as known for their kicking but for their intercepting which is where De Koning shines.

Why North?
In my opinion he rivals McAsey as the best key position player in this draft and his upside is huge. North went hard for Howard and i can see De Koning being just as good as Howard as a key defender.

Pick 47 - North Melbourne - Hugo Ralphsmith
188cm 75kg
Wingman/Medium Forward

Ralphsmith typifies most players in this draft outside the top 10 where he flashes in and out of games with his best being really impressive. Hugo has plenty of elite traits to go with his exciting football ability with his speed, leap and endurance in the elite category which makes him a near certain top 40 prospect in my opinion and I’m stunned to see him still available here. Hugo has done some down right freakish things this year with some impressive leaps over packs and goals from all different sorts of spots with one of his goals at the champs down right absurd, when he is up and running he is near impossible to catch with some runs from half back this year for Sandringham really catching the eye.

You read all the good and wonder why he isnt in the same class as Bergman and you could argue he really should be as he averages more disposals, goals and clearances while he is down on inside 50s and marks. Ralphsmith has struggled with consistency not just for the whole year but for whole games where he can turn it on for a quarter and then go missing for other quarters and that will be an area he will need to improve, the other is his tackling and ability to win the ball up the ground as he looks great with the ball but he doesn’t get it enough and as a forward doesn’t pressure enough. Most of his issues I believe could be fixed but consistency will be the main one that could hold him back.

Why North?
Hugo brings speed and x-factor weather as a wingman or a forward as he can play tall and small a swell which means he can fit into most types of forward setups, he is to good to pass up here regardless.

Players considered: Brock Smith, Nick Bryan, Josh Shute

Pick 50 - North Melbourne - Ned Cahill
179cm 78kg
Small Forward

Cahill is a little ripper and its hard not to like the way eh plays as he is crafty around the ball and is a hard worker. Cahill is extremely clean with his hands especially forward of centre with his crumbing amongst the best in this years draft with the way he swoops on the ball at speed and he usually finishes really well whether that’s kicking the goal or setting it up. Cahill has spent a bit of time through the midfield aswell and he hasn’t looked out of place being able to win his own ball and has the workrate to work defensively and offensively and I believe he could fit into an AFL team seamlessly with his workrate and running patterns and ability to handle the rough and tumble.

Cahill is like Gryan Miers as a crafty forward who relies more on his craft more so than his speed to be a sneaky forward and apart from his endurance he is pretty average athletically compared to say a Kozzie Pickett. I think Cahill is a natural footballer and doesn’t do a lot wrong and although he is small he isn’t too small for the roles he could play at AFL level and I could see him playing a similar role to what Devon Smith does for Essendon if he can add some manic pressure to his game.

Why North?
The best small forward available this late and personally think he is good value aswell, Cahill has performed well this year and didn’t disgrace himself at the champs either and is a safe pick here.

Players considered: Josh Honey, Lachlan Williams, James Rowe, Isaiah Butters, Josh D’Intinosante

Pick 75 - North Melbourne - Brady Rowles
186cm 75kg

Rebound Defender/Wingman

Rowles is a player with plenty of upside and some elite traits that make him the perfect type of player to take late or as a rookie, certainly some areas to clean up but if a club can bring out his elite traits. Rowles is a dasher in the same mould as Connor McKenna he can burn off oppents with ease and really gain some metres for his team, eh also has a good leap which he doesn’t use often enough and some confidence in the air could really make him a threat down back being able to play on talls and smalls with his height and speed covering a lot of types.

Rowles’s kicking is a concern and his contested side and endurance also need some work but some time in an elite environment would do him good. Rowles best is eye catching and he has plenty of scope and i could see him really floutshing in the right environment at a club like Richmond/Hawthorn.

Why North?
North could use some more pace and depth in this position and this late they can afford to take a punt on Rowles upside and he could turn into a player like McKenna and complete let changing how North move the ball from defensive 50.

Players Considered: Louis Butler, Lachlan Potter, Ben Johnson, Sam Ramsay, Ryan Sparkes, Leo Connolly, Kaden Schrieber

Last edited:

Sam De Koning has witnessed the evolution of key-position players in recent years and made it one of his primary goals in 2019 to develop into a ‘swingman’ at the Dandenong Stingrays.

Taking inspiration from the likes of Collingwood tall Darcy Moore – adept in both defence or attack when required – 18-year-old De Koning played mostly as a key back until this season, when he was also tried as a key forward and ruck in the NAB League.

The Mount Martha (Mornington Peninsula Junior FL) product averaged 10 disposals and three marks per game in 11 matches for Dandenong this year and also represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

* Visit the ‘Highlights’ section of the NAB League app to watch Sam De Koning’s 2019 season highlights.

He truly announced his presence to the football world on the national stage, earning NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian selection after starring for Country as a 200cm intercept-marking defender with mobility and neat skills.

Having confirmed his credentials behind the ball, De Koning turned his attention further up the field in an effort to show clubs his versatility ahead of November 27-28’s NAB AFL Draft.

“I definitely wanted to secure my spot as a defender in the Championships and show everyone how good I can be in that role,” De Koning said at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine.

“I’ve really honed in on my defensive craft over the years and I think up until the Championships I was definitely a defender, but I also want to be an attacking player who can go into the ruck and the forward line.

“A huge goal of mine for this year was to become that ‘swingman’ and be able to play multiple positions.

“I knew my ability and I think some of the things I’ve achieved have shown that, but I set the bar pretty high and it’s still raised higher than what I achieved throughout the year.”

De Koning doesn’t have to look far from home for an example of how to play as a forward/ruck. Elder brother Tom has spent two years at Carlton in such a role, appearing in two AFL games (both in 2018) since being selected with pick no.30 in the 2017 AFL Draft.

Tom De Koning averaged 11 disposals, four marks and 12 hitouts per game across 11 VFL matches for the Northern Blues in 2019 and his off-season training program gave Sam an insight into the standards required at the top level.

“A lot of my off-season work was about the physical stuff and getting my skills to a great or even elite level,” Sam De Koning said. “I did so many extra sessions over the holidays to get better.

“Tom had a 10-day break from Carlton and I worked a bit with him then. We worked on our skills together, but he had his own program with a lot of running and gym work. I just tried to stick with him in the running and then he went off to the gym.

“Working at that AFL standard was huge for me and it really built my confidence going into the season.

“Tom got swept away after the 2017 draft and hasn’t lived at home since, but I think our bond is really close when he does come back. He’s such an inspiration for me, because he’s living out the dream I want to live out at the end of the year.”

NAB LEAGUE ‘FAST FIVE’ QUESTIONS

Most influential person on your football at Dandenong:

“Gareth Snow, my back-line coach. He really helped me this year, not only with my back-line craft but my leadership in the team. Our defence was filled with bottom-age players who didn’t have much experience at the level and he asked me to step up as a leader. I really appreciated that.”

Most valuable lesson learned in the NAB League:

“Just how to be a good person on and off the field. You don’t just affect your own life as a football player but also those of the people around you. I think being a good clubman comes ahead of everything else.”

Teammate you’ve most enjoyed sharing the NAB League journey with:

“Ned Cahill. We’ve come all the way through the ranks at the Stingrays together. His family is basically my second family and we have a bond we’ll share for the rest of our lives.”

Most difficult NAB League opponent:

“Harrison Jones (Calder Cannons) is a NAB League player I found hard to play on in the Under-18 Championships. He’s so active off the ball and just keeps you guessing. Whenever a forward can get you off your own game, that’s a huge thing. I had to re-evaluate everything and start defending him first before I tried to get the ball myself.”

Most memorable NAB League moment:

“Probably just being part of the squad when we won the flag last year. Although I wasn’t in the Grand Final side, there was a great culture and a great feeling at the club at the time. We all contributed over the year to that win.”

Teammate you’ve most enjoyed sharing the NAB League journey with:

“Ned Cahill. We’ve come all the way through the ranks at the Stingrays together. His family is basically my second family and we have a bond we’ll share for the rest of our lives.”

I didn’t know that before but a nice twist of fate that I also selected Cahill haha

eDPS

Assuming Weightman and Pickett aren’t available and you have a later pick. You go for needs and want to chase a small forward.

Who do you take if all of the following are available: Ned Cahill or Jack Mahony?

Another scenario; leave the small forward pick to the rookie draft who do you pick out of Bennell, Arn Cox, Butters or Thorne?

Lastly if you were in our position would you take Matt McGuinness as a Cat B rookie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Assuming Weightman and Pickett aren’t available and you have a later pick. You go for needs and want to chase a small forward.

Who do you take if all of the following are available: Ned Cahill or Jack Mahony?

Another scenario; leave the small forward pick to the rookie draft who do you pick out of Bennell, Arn Cox, Butters or Thorne?

Lastly if you were in our position would you take Matt McGuinness as a Cat B rookie?
I’d go Cahill but I need to re-evaluate him as I haven’t seen him since the champs

I’m not a huge fan of the small forwards afterwards, you would struggle to get most of those players as they are tied to academies.

Yep he is worth picking up but a harder sell if he is bid on in the main draft.

I'm not sure a small forward should be our main priority. Nor a KPD. They're luxuries. We do need elite speed all over the field but particularly through the midfield. Sharp, Ralphsmith, Rantall or Dow might fit the bill but are they going to be real quality at 28 or 29?

I'm not sure a small forward should be our main priority. Nor a KPD. They're luxuries. We do need elite speed all over the field but particularly through the midfield. Sharp, Ralphsmith, Rantall or Dow might fit the bill but are they going to be real quality at 28 or 29?

Rantall with his elite endurance would suit our needs. Would think we would need to draft another KPF/D with Thomo & Watson gone.

I'd prioritise best available from the following:

-High endurance midfielder
-Raw KPP preferably defender
-Raw ruck (if the KPP doesn't have that ability)
-Mobile aggressive & accountable medium defender /or/ rebounder (preferably can play as both). Circa 185-190cm

If a really promising inside midfielder or small forward came into our range they'd be considered.

The rookie draft would a good place to swing for the fence on a mercurial small forward type from a state league.

Best available talent regardless of position.
if we desperately need a player in a position as a stop gap, it should be a State League player selected in the rookie draft.
Only my opinion, but one of our recurring drafting mistakes we made under Brad Scott's time was to take the best available talent. The best available is probably the way to go if you have a top 10 pick but less so after that. The more successful teams have targeted types of players. Richmond come to mind. It explains why we've had an overabundance of slow inside midfielders and why we've also tended to pick up draft sliders, Atley, Durdin and Hibberd etc. Elite players will have to wait until 2020 unless we pull off a miracle live pick swap.

-High endurance midfielder
As long as it's not another Ryan Clarke. Someone with more strings to his bow than just endurance.
-Raw KPP preferably defender
I'm intrigued by the idea of Emerson Jeka from that podcast Snake posted, even if he is a bit of a reach in the 20s. KPP swingman, project player, ideally ready in 2-3 years. We've had a pretty good run with late pick KPPs.
-Raw ruck (if the KPP doesn't have that ability)
Yeah probably. If the right prospect's not there we can make do for a year.
-Mobile aggressive & accountable medium defender /or/ rebounder (preferably can play as both). Circa 185-190cm
Don't think we get this and a mid. Tend to think it's probably the greater need.

Only my opinion, but one of our recurring drafting mistakes we made under Brad Scott's time was to take the best available talent. The best available is probably the way to go if you have a top 10 pick but less so after that. The more successful teams have targeted types of players. Richmond come to mind. It explains why we've had an overabundance of slow inside midfielders and why we've also tended to pick up draft sliders, Atley, Durdin and Hibberd etc. Elite players will have to wait until 2020 unless we pull off a miracle live pick swap.
I hear you but I don’t think development under brad is what it shouldve been..

round 1 every year was almost like the first time the players had seen a sherrin. It was banging head against a wall bad.

I’m of the belief that Calder Cannons B&F Sam Ramsay has the potential to develop into a good small/medium forward at the top level. From what I understand he hasn’t been playing that role in the TAC cup..

Ramsay is fast and can win his own footy. Well worth a late pick or Rookie selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite players will have to wait until 2020 unless we pull off a miracle live pick swap.
I've been blithely assuming pick swaps will be a thing without putting much thought into it. For our first 4 picks:

26 + 27 = pick 10 by points value
26 + 50 = pick 18
47 + 50 = pick 32

There are other combinations obviously but they're all in the ballpark of one of those combos.

Given that you'd expect it to cost points to move up, let's say we could get something around 15-18, 20-25, 35-40 for various sets of picks.

Gold Coast have 1, 2, 15, 20, then nothing until 78.
Brisbane have 16, 21, 34, 48, 52, 55
Geelong have 14, 17, 24, 36, then nothing until 93
Bulldogs have 13, 53, and nothing until 89
Hawks have 11, 30, 42, 54, 63, 87, 92 and a F/S bid for Maginness to deal with
Freo have 7, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79, 83 and an academy bid to deal with

All of them could be candidates to split higher picks depending on bolters/sliders and bids. I haven't checked how many open list spots they all have, so Geelong in particular might be perfectly happy with what they have.

Alternatively, the Saints only have 51, 76, 82. Would they do a future 2nd for 27? Quite like the idea of either that or going after the Dogs' pick 13 or GC's 15.

I've been blithely assuming pick swaps will be a thing without putting much thought into it. For our first 4 picks:

26 + 27 = pick 10 by points value
26 + 50 = pick 18
47 + 50 = pick 32

There are other combinations obviously but they're all in the ballpark of one of those combos.

Given that you'd expect it to cost points to move up, let's say we could get something around 15-18, 20-25, 35-40 for various sets of picks.

Gold Coast have 1, 2, 15, 20, then nothing until 78.
Brisbane have 16, 21, 34, 48, 52, 55
Geelong have 14, 17, 24, 36, then nothing until 93
Bulldogs have 13, 53, and nothing until 89
Hawks have 11, 30, 42, 54, 63, 87, 92 and a F/S bid for Maginness to deal with
Freo have 7, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79, 83 and an academy bid to deal with

All of them could be candidates to split higher picks depending on bolters/sliders and bids. I haven't checked how many open list spots they all have, so Geelong in particular might be perfectly happy with what they have.

Alternatively, the Saints only have 51, 76, 82. Would they do a future 2nd for 27? Quite like the idea of either that or going after the Dogs' pick 13 or GC's 15.

You'd reckon our first 2 points have some currency this year if the draft watchers general comments about this draft are anything to go by.

Still you would need to identify clubs entering a significant rebuild stage. Hello Adelaide & Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back