Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne has improved its Draft position, after a pick swap with Hawthorn.

The Roos now have three picks inside the top 30 after trading out a future second round pick in 2020, as well as picks 50 and 73 this year, in return for the Hawks’ No.30.

National recruiting manager, Mark Finnigan, said a previous pick swap with Melbourne allowed the club the flexibility to bring in three players inside 30.

“By having two first round selections next year already, we had the ability to trade out our future second pick, and strengthen our hand this year,” he said.

“With such an even Draft this year, we’re confident we can bring in three high-quality players within the first 30 selections.”

Finnigan said North has four primary list spots available, making the deal a no-brainer.

“Essentially it meant we weren’t going to use picks 50 and 73, so having the involved in a deal for pick 30 was a great result for us,” he added.

North now has picks 26, 27, 30 and 47.

Last edited:

I am sure there is some reason behind it all, but on the surface of it, we've traded pick 8 and second rounder next year to get pick 27 and 30 this year, as well as another first rounder next year. So instead of picks 8 and 26 (and let's say picks 8 and 26 next year) we now have 26, 27, 30 (and let's say picks 8 and 9 next year). Yeah, slight improvement I suppose...meh

You would like to think finnagan knows more than us! So maybe something we don’t know as yet... but yes good trade happy with that will be 3 decent players now. And still want that 47 to be used to move us up rather than lose it and hoping finnegan has done his maths wrong...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four primary list spots available? Thought only three
4 picks is correct. We have 36 players on the list (including Zurhaar) and you're allowed a max of 40 and 4 rookies. (or 38 and 6)

You would like to think finnagan knows more than us! So maybe something we don’t know as yet... but yes good trade happy with that will be 3 decent players now. And still want that 47 to be used to move us up rather than lose it and hoping finnegan has done his maths wrong...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His math is right. We have 36 on the primary list currently

Yep Campbell on the rookie list so no spots in the rookie draft. Makes you wonder why didn’t delist McKenzie sooner. There was no room on the rookie list for him anyway
No, Campbell is on the primary list. And 3 rookies with one more spot available.

Basically we had 8/26/47 and now have 26/27/30/47

If we have 4 spots to fill, and believe the draft is that even that there is little value in pick 8, then it makes sense. But without knowing the detail, I would have thought top 10 picks is where you pick up your 200 gamers...

Giantroo just quoted an article saying Campbell and SPP selections are rookies unless we have decided to upgrade Campbell also then you would be right
According the club website he is on the primary list, with Hayden, Murphy and Hosie as rookies

Basically we had 8/26/47 and now have 26/27/30/47

If we have 4 spots to fill, and believe the draft is that even that there is little value in pick 8, then it makes sense. But without knowing the detail, I would have thought top 10 picks is where you pick up your 200 gamers...
Remember we can trade picks up to and during the draft night. Still potential to move up from here.

Yeah that was my original thought until I saw the GR article but maybe we decided to promote Campbell since the original spp article?
If Campbell was still a rookie, we'd have up to 5 selections. We have 36 on the primary list including Campbell. Hence 4 spots.
Where in the article does it talk about Campbell being on the rookie list?

If Campbell was still a rookie, we'd have up to 5 selections. We have 36 on the primary list including Campbell. Hence 4 spots.
Where in the article does it talk about Campbell being on the rookie list?
Just mentioned SPP selections are rookies which Campbell was a SPP selection

And my maths was 37 senior list including Campbell and zurhaar
If Campbell is a Rookie then we have 36 and 4 senior spots as per finnegan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back