Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Is there any reason we have opted to go with just 3 category A rookies? Three ND selections in the 30s and zero Category A rookies ... didn't realise how list was so close to contending.
You're not the only one to make that mistake.

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Obviously a speculative approach to the draft this year but I get the sense we are confident with the list we have built and are going to back them in. It will be interesting to see how Pickett turns out for the Dees given that was our first round pick, and small creative forward (along with key defender) is still our main list gap at the moment. Feels like we’ll be primed to have a good crack at the Draft next year. Regardless, we still have some genuine talent that hasn’t been fully exposed yet that deserve opportunity next year - Scott, Crocker, Hosie, Hayden, Walker, Taylor, Murphy and McKay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Obviously a speculative approach to the draft this year but I get the sense we are confident with the list we have built and are going to back them in. It will be interesting to see how Pickett turns out for the Dees given that was our first round pick, and small creative forward (along with key defender) is still our main list gap at the moment. Feels like we’ll be primed to have a good crack at the Draft next year. Regardless, we still have some genuine talent that hasn’t been fully exposed yet that deserve opportunity next year - Scott, Crocker, Hosie, Hayden, Walker, Taylor, Murphy and McKay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our first round pick was actually Serong.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Really don’t know what our plan was in the trade/draft for this year.

Let’s put the players we picked to the side for the moment.

Trades we completed - pick 8 for dees rd1 pick 2020 which most probably be 15 plus and rd 2 2019 pick - think elite talent is found easier with a top 10 pick.
Hawks trade of a future 2nd and change for a current second - why the * we do this when we traded a second with *
* second 2020 for pick 30 - see above.
Most likely a pick in the 40s with all the NGA/fs next year.
Did we just trade for the sake of it - no plan.
With our picks we could of taken Comben with the pick after the dees and taken rivers with our first. Then taken Comben with our second as dees were no chance of taking two talls

billnats

All Australian
Feb 4, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SMFC & Tottenham
https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-11-29/mcguinness-to-north

291119_MattLarge.jpg

Welcome to North Melbourne!
I’m on board

Extremely happy, ecstatic even for Hibberd that he’s been given another chance at AFL.

We should never have delisted him however and I’m still convinced that he was absolutely shafted by Brad and his boy’s own club. I was gutted (and a bit stunned) when we let him go and it’s a little hard to stomach that he’s gone to * . Just know he’s going to be a very good player for them. The character of the kid to come back from what must have been a shattering delisting is testament the kind of player our club needs. Good luck Mitch and here’s hoping you have a great career.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Trades we completed - pick 8 for dees rd1 pick 2020 which most probably be 15 plus and rd 2 2019 pick - think elite talent is found easier with a top 10 pick.
Hawks trade of a future 2nd and change for a current second - why the fu** we do this when we traded a second with *
With our picks we could of taken Comben with the pick after the dees and taken rivers with our first. Then taken Comben with our second as dees were no chance of taking two talls

Melbourne top 4 you reckon?

I’d suggest given we didn’t take Rivers that we didn’t want him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks trade of a future 2nd and change for a current second - why the fu** we do this when we traded a second with *
1. You can only make the trades that are available to be made. You can't make other clubs want Mason Wood enough to trade good pick for him, and you simply don't get an offer like the one we got from the Deez very often.
We fleeced Melbourne no matter what and the likelihood of that pick being 15-18 is pretty slim. After the first 5-6 picks, truly elite talent isn't that common in the rest of the first round. I don't have time now but if you look at picks 7-10 over the last decade there's a lot more B+ than A+ players. The ones we would have been really salivating over - Ash, Young, Jackson, Stephens - were all gone.
2. The trade with Hawthorn ended up a wash but it gave us much more flexibility to live trade. Unfortunately trading up didn't happen but it was still useful. If we don't have that 30 we don't get to fleece * for a 5-spot upgrade in round 2.
3. Seems like we rated Perez better than Rivers and didn't care about finessing the others. I admit I said some very bad words out loud when we took Comben with our first but I've calmed down now. We'll know in a couple of years I guess.
4. We twice - once pre-draft and once in live trading - traded out a pick we weren't going to use to make a deal happen.

It wasn't perfect. Lack of trading up and missing Gould hurts. We passed on guys that were surprising or disappointing at the time. But having the best currency you can for live trading is a plan even if it doesn't go perfectly. And getting back into next year's 2nd round for a 5-pick downgrade was pretty slick.

Would be interesting how we assessed him?

I can't see Luke Partington picked up by anyone. Goes to show, there was a bit of hyping up on here that we'd need to throw a national pick on him. Yet he wanders off undrafted.

Think his wrestling debut may have put clubs off? Hindsight is a wonderful thing

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can see why we picked Mahoney but imo there's a very good chance he joins the growing list of guys who are too small and slow to make it at AFL level. No problem with our other picks though, was hoping we'd take Perez with 47

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. You can only make the trades that are available to be made. You can't make other clubs want Mason Wood enough to trade good pick for him, and you simply don't get an offer like the one we got from the Deez very often.
We fleeced Melbourne no matter what and the likelihood of that pick being 15-18 is pretty slim. After the first 5-6 picks, truly elite talent isn't that common in the rest of the first round. I don't have time now but if you look at picks 7-10 over the last decade there's a lot more B+ than A+ players. The ones we would have been really salivating over - Ash, Young, Jackson, Stephens - were all gone.
If the top ten next year are as good as last year's, as Pykie suugests, any pick in the top ten will be gold. Chance of a big win on the Deez deal.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
How the hell is he getting paid to do this?

"Will walk away thinking they've done as well as they could with their picks"

No s**t idiot, they picked who they thought was best on their board at their picks.

Literally the most useless analysis I've ever seen.

Back