Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Wells turned back the clock.

Turned Kelly into Cooper Stephens, Sam De Koning and Cam Taheney.

They also hold 3 x first rounders next year including a locked in #11, which may end up better than the Melbourne pick.

Is it a locked in pick 11? It still drifts as much as any pick before it when there's bids prior as far as I'd heard (ie. it's the pick before the team that finished 8th).

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is it a locked in pick 11? It still drifts as much as any pick before it when there's bids prior as far as I'd heard (ie. it's the pick before the team that finished 8th).

Correct,

Should of worded it better, its locked in at #11 pre-draft, as it doesn't float with a ladder finish.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Correct,

Should of worded it better, its locked in at #11 pre-draft, as it doesn't float with a ladder finish.

Gotcha. Would have been outrageous if it was locked in at that number.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In all honesty, I think people get way to hyped up over high draft picks. 2 of our most promising young forwards, ‘Larkey’ (Pick 73) and ‘Zurhaar’ (Rookie Draft) prove that there is plenty of talent to be found. That being said, if Melbourne could do us a favour and suck ass again, that would be splendid.

On a side note;
In regards to the “Journalist” who rated us a C, how can you rate a draft before the players have even stepped foot on the field? For all we know, Matt Rowell might turn out to be the next Jack Watts.

Tend to agree.......watching clubs try to trade up or down or matching points or bidding just to buy time detracted from the point of the night being the kids.. for me the highlight of both nights were the interviews and how composed and mature the kids were...not watching 10 guys in a room trying to work out what algorithm they needed to calculate their next move.

Journalists have as much idea about the quality of drafting as I do. Half of them look like they are just out of uni and have probably been watching footy less than you and I...

so summary re-cap for my pea-brain!

Currently on the website: 36 senior list and 3 Rookie listed players.

Traded In: Aiden Boner
Drafted In: Flynn Perez
Jack Mahony
Charlie Comben
Listed: Josh Walker

Aren't these 5 all senior list taking us to 41 players? Max 40 allowed? What am i doing wrong?

Rookie listed cat B: Matt McGuiness

Does this mean we can still list 3 more rookies?
Can Cat B rookies play seniors like normal rookie listed players?

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Tend to agree.......watching clubs try to trade up or down or matching points or bidding just to buy time detracted from the point of the night being the kids.. for me the highlight of both nights were the interviews and how composed and mature the kids were...not watching 10 guys in a room trying to work out what algorithm they needed to calculate their next move.

Journalists have as much idea about the quality of drafting as I do. Half of them look like they are just out of uni and have probably been watching footy less than you and I...
Agree about the kids being drafted but some of the questions..

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

so summary re-cap for my pea-brain!

Currently on the website: 36 senior list and 3 Rookie listed players.

Traded In: Aiden Boner
Drafted In: Flynn Perez
Jack Mahony
Charlie Comben
Listed: Josh Walker

Aren't these 5 all senior list taking us to 41 players? Max 40 allowed? What am i doing wrong?

Rookie listed cat B: Matt McGuiness

Does this mean we can still list 3 more rookies?
Can Cat B rookies play seniors like normal rookie listed players?
We started the year 39 and 5
Next year we will be 40 and 4

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perez is decent.

Just don’t know how you pick him over Rivers when available given they play in similar positions.

No idea why we needed Comben with Brown, Larkey, Wood and Hosie

And potentially McKay and Daw on the list.

Mahoney is fine. No issue with that pick.

We probably feel Perez has the higher ceiling.

McKay is probably more likely not to make it, "as he's not very coachable".
Daw is 28 and on the comeback trail after only one decent season in ten years. And I'm a huge fan.

I don't pretend to know anything about which players we should draft, i watch absolutely no under age footy.I appreciate your knowledge in this space and follow your thoughts during this period. In saying that I just watched the Comben highlights and one of the things we're doing is bringing in guys with elite type skills, whether that be endurance, agility or whatever.

At 199cm an agile ruck/fwd with solid skills, pace and the ability to do the what is often the hardest thing for big guys, that being strong overhead. From what I just watched I cannot believe he was still available at our pick. Oh I now do he's been injured for the last 10 years.lol.

"MEET the kid the scouts have started calling 'Mr Upside'.

Charlie Comben hadn't played much footy before this season. That wasn't his choice, it was something forced upon him by a cruel and unavoidable string of unfortunate injuries.

>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub

But when the 199cm key forward finally returned to the park earlier this year and began to get some much-needed game time under his belt, his raw talent and sheer athleticism came to the fore".

Hosie is 189cm, Wood 192cm not really the same type of player as Comben I'd have thought. Yes we do have Brown and Larkey although I see Comben as a ruck/fwd, bit like Daw as a KPD/ruck.

Am comfortable with our though processes during the trade period, what I'm seeing is upside, not sliders because they're a tad slow or poorly skilled or not great football thinkers.

The types I just mentioned keep you mired in mediocrity and we've had a full house now for far to long. imo of course.

Am comfortable with our though processes during the trade period, what I'm seeing is upside, not sliders because they're a tad slow or poorly skilled or not great football thinkers.

The types I just mentioned keep you mired in mediocrity and we've had a full house now for far to long. imo of course.

In the same vein, I've noticed over the last couple of drafts we've been more aggressive with delistings (Mountford, Hibberd, Hrovat, Wagner, Hartung etc.) and trades (Clarke), while punting more on 'upside' of draftees. It's like we are very conscious that the draft is a lottery and the strategy is to get as many tickets as possible hoping to luck into 'steals' and quickly cycle through the guys that are just ok. Then we also pick guys who are more 'unknown' due to injury (Simpkin, Comben, Perez, Mahony), being off the radar (NEAFL) or code-switching (Walker). If it doesn't work out, just take another speculative 3rd round pick in 2 years. If it does, you've got a bargain and a keeper. Not a bad approach in my view as long as all the young guys coming through know where they stand.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We probably feel Perez has the higher ceiling.

McKay is probably more likely not to make it, "as he's not very coachable".
Daw is 28 and on the comeback trail after only one decent season in ten years. And I'm a huge fan.

I don't pretend to know anything about which players we should draft, i watch absolutely no under age footy.I appreciate your knowledge in this space and follow your thoughts during this period. In saying that I just watched the Comben highlights and one of the things we're doing is bringing in guys with elite type skills, whether that be endurance, agility or whatever.

At 199cm an agile ruck/fwd with solid skills, pace and the ability to do the what is often the hardest thing for big guys, that being strong overhead. From what I just watched I cannot believe he was still available at our pick. Oh I now do he's been injured for the last 10 years.lol.

"MEET the kid the scouts have started calling 'Mr Upside'.

Charlie Comben hadn't played much footy before this season. That wasn't his choice, it was something forced upon him by a cruel and unavoidable string of unfortunate injuries.

>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub

But when the 199cm key forward finally returned to the park earlier this year and began to get some much-needed game time under his belt, his raw talent and sheer athleticism came to the fore".

Hosie is 189cm, Wood 192cm not really the same type of player as Comben I'd have thought. Yes we do have Brown and Larkey although I see Comben as a ruck/fwd, bit like Daw as a KPD/ruck.

I had the conversation with a physio one day in passing about these young kids not just in footy but in sport in general that seem to have such a run on injury. My question being are they put together more fragile? The response to cut a long story short is that genetics, under development, luck and physical immaturity are for the most part the problem. There are some instances where there are underlying structural problems, but not common.
Quite often after 3-4 years of ongoing injuries they tend to bounce back, which makes sense knowing a lot of AFL players that had constant problems early in their career to be injury free later.
Let's hope this kids future is a lot better.

Any idea on Comben testing results particularly in relation to Jackson?

And his national champs stats in relation to Jackson?

Thanks in advance

Best I could find:

Testing data:

1575179118896.png

1575179161370.png
1575179199017.png

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thanks for that. Interesting that comben seems to have a better leap than Jackson, who has been described as a high leaping ruckman, making up for being slightly shorter than most ruckmen.

Also, having poor (average) endurance should probably be expected given how much footy he missed, but really does point to some upside. And lastly, contested aspects being above average for a bean pole is also encouraging (though the position he plays lends itself to winning contested footy).

After reading all the criticism regarding our selections, I've been thinking as to why this negativity is there, despite us not having greatest of picks to work with in an even draft. I reckon if a club with a gun recruiter with a great track record selects, say a Flynn Perez, everyone would simply be saying that they got him at a bargain basement price due to the 12 months absence from the game, and he will probably turn out a gun. But given Finnigan doesn't have track record of this type, negativity is there, and it's understandable.

Only time will tell...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The negativity is understandable based upon what the supporters have been through the last few years.

My own view is that they have been shell shocked by bullshit.

Nothing much is going to change until the supporters actually see something.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After reading all the criticism regarding our selections, I've been thinking as to why this negativity is there, despite us not having greatest of picks to work with in an even draft. I reckon if a club with a gun recruiter with a great track record selects, say a Flynn Perez, everyone would simply be saying that they got him at a bargain basement price due to the 12 months absence from the game, and he will probably turn out a gun. But given Finnigan doesn't have track record of this type, negativity is there, and it's understandable.

Only time will tell...
We did have a decent pick ... pick 8

Where do you get this info from GR? I’d love to have a look at our other draftees data

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Back