Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you for highlighting my inaccuracy. I'll endeavour to pay closer attention to detail next time. I suspected you would bring up Fyfe, so fair play to you. My intent was to point out the percentages involved in the context of pick 8 or 10 v pick 31 etc.
I expect the "more often than not" point stands, but there really are quite a few game-changers who have slipped for whatever reason in their draft year. I'd have Steele Sidebottom ahead of Dale Thomas and plenty of other high picks too.

A lot of people are saying it cost us Serong butthat is incorrect Our pick got pushed back due to the bids on nga players.
The first bid came at 9 after Serong

Serong was the bloke it cost us. Flanders was on the board also

Just hope our first pick next year from the dees is better along with our second pick

I've thought for a little while now that injury is our Moneyball, as in an actual definition of moneyball as players who are systematically undervalued by the market for some reason. Whether it pays off or not, it seems to be a consistent philosophy over the last half dozen years. Higgins, Waite, Hrovat, Ahern, Anderson, Brown, Hayden, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Bonar, Mitch Hibberd, this year's 3 draftees - all had their draft or market value depressed by a history of injury.

Actual Moneyball is pretty rare in footy despite what various media nuffies say. I reckon Richmond do it with kids with perceived temperament or lifestyle concerns, and the dogs did it with a certain kind of midfielder they build their premiership team around (Bont peaking early and perfect timing of Boyd's 1 good month helped too).

Same here actually.

This episode of the AFL Lystics Podcast is really good https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/502312

They're big fans of our draft. Really like Comben and are also Mahony fans.

The two hosts also think we're in a great position for next year. Should be able to exploit the draft considering how many teams will want our picks to get ahead of bids.

You could add Brown and Larkey in making this point EH, and even Dumont (selection 30), who seems terribly underrated by some on here. I suppose in terms of the game-changer that we desperately need, it seems that more often than not, the likes of Bont, Cripps, Dusty, Bud, Pendlebury, Whitfield, Danger etc. come inside 10.
True, except when we get top 10 picks, it's by no means guaranteed. If we look at Hansen, Cunnington, Ziebell and LDU, only Cunnington could be considered elite in his position or a game changer. With LDU still having time on his side of course.

True, except when we get top 10 picks, it's by no means guaranteed. If we look at Hansen, Cunnington, Ziebell and LDU, only Cunnington could be considered elite in his position or a game changer. With LDU still having time on his side of course.
Ziebell gets judged way too harshly on here. He's definitely a game changer. He hasn't become the star of the competition we might have hoped he is but he's a serious impact player that can disrupt a game up forward or in the midfield. He's another one that could really benefit from a rejigging of our game-plan and style by Rhyce. It's not outlandish to say his best footy could still be ahead of him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ziebell gets judged way too harshly on here. He's definitely a game changer. He hasn't become the star of the competition we might have hoped he is but he's a serious impact player that can disrupt a game up forward or in the midfield. He's another one that could really benefit from a rejigging of our game-plan and style by Rhyce. It's not outlandish to say his best footy could still be ahead of him.

Full preseason for the first time in 10 million years, better gameplan (hopefully by a man not obsessed with mutilating square pegs to fit them in round holes, but lets not get started on that :p), encouraged to use his physicality, riding a wave of club wide positivity and aggression.

Stage is freakin' set!

I bet Durdin never got the package opening tutorial, but seriously, this is a good initiative by the club, diet is an extremely important part of their lives for the near future at least, we will get to see the results on a regular basis.
How embarrassing for the boys to have to go to a supermarket in their club issue gear.

How embarrassing for the boys to have to go to a supermarket in their club issue gear.
Nowhere near as embarrassing as your posting.

They're wearing their colours with pride and you're ragging on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back