Game Day 2019 AFL Rookie and PSD Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott has ended up with what he wants. A list with not one genuine ruckman.
It's Wells who makes the final decisions on the names we call out - maybe he doesn't want any rucks on our list...

The elite rucks in the AFL are Gawn, Grundy and Natanui (when fit). No flags between them...
I would love us to have a ruckman i
of that caliber but we don’t and they don’t grow on trees like inside mids. It’s disingenuous to say the lack of one cost us a flag. More like the loss of Duncan and Hawkins in the PF and a s**t performance in the QF cost us a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we had gawn we win the flag. So yes lacking a great ruck cost us a flag. Fact is fact. However lacking lance franklin also cost us a flag.

It's Wells who makes the final decisions on the names we call out - maybe he doesn't want any rucks on our list...

We have Stanley (200cm) and Fort (205cm), if they BOTH go down, which is unlikely, we still have Jenkins and Esava, and also SDK if things get really desperate. That's more than enough depth. It seems the club don't subscribe to having a pure ruck, which I agree is a good approach. Not much point having a bloke getting 30 hit outs every week and doing literally nothing else (see Dawson Simpson, Andrew Phillips, et al).

You're not getting a Gawn, Grundy, Witts, Goldstein in the rookie draft.

In the pre-Scott Wells years Geelong recruited an 18 year old (genuine) ruck every 2-3 years which is probably on the competition average. Since 2010 there have been zero.

They won't have to ruck all year. The chances of both Fort and Stanley both being out all year are minimal

Stanley is injury prone and Fort is a spud.
They will pick Blitz in the ruck ahead of Fort even if Fort is fit.

In the pre-Scott Wells years Geelong recruited an 18 year old (genuine) ruck every 2-3 years which is probably on the competition average. Since 2010 there have been zero.

Question is was that Scotts call or has Wellschanged tack?

We have Stanley (200cm) and Fort (205cm), if they BOTH go down, which is unlikely, we still have Jenkins and Esava, and also SDK if things get really desperate. That's more than enough depth. It seems the club don't subscribe to having a pure ruck, which I agree is a good approach. Not much point having a bloke getting 30 hit outs every week and doing literally nothing else (see Dawson Simpson, Andrew Phillips, et al).

You're not getting a Gawn, Grundy, Witts, Goldstein in the rookie draft.

Its not really. Stanley is injury prone and Fort is crap.
Sav is made for R2 he doesnt have the tank for the R1 role. Jenkins has never played that role and SDK would get snapped in half at thispoint.
Blitz is our only backup for Stanley who is capable and who has played that role before.

Ruck isnt why we lost the prelim cos blitz played on a wing. Not in the ruck.

There are 3 finals we need to win. Not one. Blitz can maybe hold his own aganst another mediocre ruck for a half. Not 6 halves.

Who would you have rookied instead? Give me a better solution.

I think Harry will be in and out either way. I think Hendos form this year was best 25 but structure wise its hard to play all the talls-he is insurance for Stanley..injury or bad Stanley and Blitz and Sav will share the ruck (or Blitz and Fort) and Hendo will go to FB while SDK develops in the 2s. Geez we need to draft a good ruck next year though.
From what i am hearing HT has got himself in ripping nick for the start of pre-season next week.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not really. Stanley is injury prone and Fort is crap.
Sav is made for R2 he doesnt have the tank for the R1 role. Jenkins has never played that role and SDK would get snapped in half at thispoint.
Blitz is our only backup for Stanley who is capable and who has played that role before.

There's nothing we could have done in the national or rookie drafts this year to solve our ruck depth issues in 2020. Even if we picked up a mature state league player, or any one of the hacks that got delisted from an AFL list, none of them would have been a better option than Stanley/Fort anyway.

You suggest picking up a young developing ruck, give me a name. I didn't see any promising ruckman at the champs this year, I don't even think Jackson will make it. The only guy that looked like a competitor was Lachlan Burrows from SA but he's only 195cm.

In the 2014 rookie draft we selected a young Tom Read with pick 14 - a 200cm ruck from SA

But we also seemed to have turned our focus to more mature rucks:
- 2011, Orren Stephenson
- 2014, Padraig Lucey
- 2016, Ryan Abbott
- 2018, Darcy Fort

Add in the trades:
- 2012, Hamish McIntosh
- 2014, Rhys Stanley
- 2015, Zac Smith

It's not like we sat on our hands and didn't look at various options over the past decade

There's nothing we could have done in the national or rookie drafts this year to solve our ruck depth issues in 2020. Even if we picked up a mature state league player, or any one of the hacks that got delisted from an AFL list, none of them would have been a better option than Stanley/Fort anyway.

You suggest picking up a young developing ruck, give me a name. I didn't see any promising ruckman at the champs this year, I don't even think Jackson will make it. The only guy that looked like a competitor was Lachlan Burrows from SA but he's only 195cm.

Oh i agree there was no better solution today i was just disputing that we have adequate ruck depth because we dont.
As i said this morning i was keen on Ben Kelly but obviously clubs werent. Maybe Jack Bell but he went early..other than Smith who hasnt shown much in 6 years theres no other decent options imo. Only 14 kids picked today means clubs didnt rate this pool.

So Sokol missed out, really surprising, 24 and averaged 3 goals per game in the WAFL definitely would have been worth a punt as a mature ager, feel for him, not much else he could have done.
Clubs can still add rookies up until the start of the season, and there's always the mid-season draft too. He's just gotta keep going.

I'm glad we held onto Henderson, he's a good depth player to have. I'm surprised no one else picked him up really, he's still a quality defender with a good 3-4 years left in the tank IMO.

What the hell sack Wells what a load of crap what is he thinking bringing Hendo back sack him just sack him now

No he had to do it, we're shy on tall key defenders, if HT gets injured or Blitz we have insurance.
I wish we'd rookied Jecka but it is what it is.

So Sokol missed out, really surprising, 24 and averaged 3 goals per game in the WAFL definitely would have been worth a punt as a mature ager, feel for him, not much else he could have done.

I might be thinking of the wrong player here but IIRC there are big questions over attitude and application/commitment to the AFL system demands.
But it could be someone else I'm thinking of..

hawkins and duncan (and clark) and we might be an extra 2-3 goals in front at half time which might be enough. sigh...

Almost certainly, we had so much of the ball during the second quarter in particular that being able to use Duncan and Clarks line breaking and foot skills and having Hawkins as a target for the flood of inside 50s....
ALSO, Blicavs back to full back on Lynch where he belongs instead of floating along on the wing doing * all....
Yeah, I'm still burned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back