News 2019 AFL rules changes

Remove this Banner Ad

How the * are players going to be able to setup 6 6 6 on the fly with players coming off the bench and switching, it’s going to be chaos, imagine having your 2 wingmen stuck on one side of the Centre square. is the penalty for being in the wrong zone a free kick? s**t rule change this one.

How the **** are players going to be able to setup 6 6 6 on the fly with players coming off the bench and switching, it’s going to be chaos, imagine having your 2 wingmen stuck on one side of the Centre square. is the penalty for being in the wrong zone a free kick? s**t rule change this one.

Yes. A free kick in the centre

How the **** are players going to be able to setup 6 6 6 on the fly with players coming off the bench and switching, it’s going to be chaos, imagine having your 2 wingmen stuck on one side of the Centre square. is the penalty for being in the wrong zone a free kick? s**t rule change this one.

Chaos until 2020 when players will wear bibs nominating positions. Wing Defence or Premiership Ruckman for Grigg if he's still playing.

And the runners can only deliver messages after goals, which means they will have to employ actual runners (sprinters) or increase the time between a goal and a bounce, which would mean they could fit in an extra ad or three.

Guess which.

Last edited:

This rule is just there to have really long adbreaks on the tv coverage while everyone sets up. Umps will be instructed to not rush the bounce. Ads will just run until all players are ready so unlikely there'll be many frees related to this

I don’t understand why they don’t just scrap the 50m penalty. There’s nothing for me that ruins the viewing experience more than a 50m penalty - 99% of the time it’s for infringements that don’t materially affect the game.

Keep it for reportable conduct, otherwise make it 15m PLEASE

Some sense being spoken there T4P. I want games won by footballers, not lost by umpires interpretations of non-footballing events. I can see this occurring more with these raft of changes.

Anyone want to try and guess how many penalties are going to occur next season due to the 6 / 6 / 6 rule?

Where will the free kick be given? Will it always be in the centre? And to whom? The Ruckman or any of the Mids? Do players choose or do Umpires wait to see who nominates himself? Will it be worth having a designated kicker and will it cause more set plays?

Don't think I'll fly down for the Carlton opener in 2019 - might just wait to see how this pans out. I realise some people are suggesting little effects at all. Can't really put myself in that camp - look how long it's taken to evolve to a degree of sensibility with the deliberate out of bounds - yet it has still been adjudicated differently every year from the start to the end.

This rule is just there to have really long adbreaks on the tv coverage while everyone sets up. Umps will be instructed to not rush the bounce. Ads will just run until all players are ready so unlikely there'll be many frees related to this

NFL 60 minute game 3 hours to complete lots of add breaks

6-6-6 IMO will mess a few teams up who love to run 1 or 2 off the back of the square at centre bounces. Running 1 or 2 off the back is also used as a tactic to clear out your forward line because teams who run 1 or 2 off the back off the square are already employing the loose man in defence play. 6-6-6 will screw teams up at centre bounces who love to run with this tactic, no surprise that demons were ranked 1 for centre clearances in 2018 employing the two off the back of the square tactic, going to very interesting to see how the demons tackle this.

demons were also the highest scoring side of 2018.
Good points, I watched the 1980 grand final recently, umpires balled it up quickly at stoppages, paid free kicks, paid dropping the ball for incorrect disposal if tackled, tigers played on at all costs, smashed em. Having to kick to self from fullback quirkinesses of the game I will miss.

And the runners can only deliver messages after goals, which means they will have to employ actual runners (sprinters) or increase the time between a goal and a bounce, which would mean they could fit in an extra ad or three.

Guess which.
Runners ought to be given the flick, blight in the game!

Good points, I watched the 1980 grand final recently, umpires balled it up quickly at stoppages, paid free kicks, paid dropping the ball for incorrect disposal if tackled, tigers played on at all costs, smashed em. Having to kick to self from fullback quirkinesses of the game I will miss.
Quick question has the nomination for ruck been scrapped. Have seen nothing in the rule changes to suggest it had but then read nominations still required if umpires are confused. Jesus that could very well be from the first bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait to get smashed by the umpires in round 1 while they let the scum get away with murder for the same s**t, only for negative feedback to occur after the match and the AFL to abolish or relax most of the new rules in time for the friday night match as they did this year with regards to the protection zone.

Jack or Tom use hands in the back to position themselves will be deemed a free for in the back
Curnow to place hands in the back and push off to be awarded mark

Nank to grab ball out of ruck and be tackled and ump pays HTB
Kruezer to grab ball and be tackled and ump calls play on

6-6-6 Richmond to be screwed while carlton get leniency

You know it's going to happen so we have five and half months to prepare for the reaming we will get from the umpires in round 1

We went -100 odd in 2018, we could go -100 in round 1 alone in 2019.

Rath (part of the rules committee) said in his interview that the relaxing of the 'hands in the back' rule will add a grey area to the interpretation but that he has faith that the Umps will adjudicate correctly.........Top move that!!!!!:huh:

Rath (part of the rules committee) said in his interview that the relaxing of the 'hands in the back' rule will add a grey area to the interpretation but that he has faith that the Umps will adjudicate correctly.........Top move that!!!!!:huh:

Do these nuffies have any sense of history? The rule was brought in to solve the ambiguity problem, because the umpires found it impossible to fairly adjudicate. So let’s revoke it and go back to where it was, where it was deemed so problematic that a rule change was needed.

Nuffies.

Nothing changes... implemented without testing first, etc.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...8d70e9c5f?sv=c6802c9924741ae09f15dadb78f3559b

Kick-ins
  • At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Jayden Short to be the defender with the highest amount of Score assists

This was my first thought when I read the rule changes! What is the actual point of having a goal square now? Just put a marking on the ground where the man on the mark must stand (20m out). Shorty will take off and be at the 30-40m Mark before he kicks now- straight into the wing...

Hate that rule change!

Also the 50m rule changes are going to cause mass issues. Players can’t interfere or get in the way with the guy who’s got the 50, the player can run straight past the umpire on the way to the 50 to take their kick and they can play on at any time and in any direction! It just means you’re not going to know when you can obstruct/tackle them and are likely to give away another free kick/50..

I hate that they bring in these rules without testing them first at any level- amateur hour

Has the AFL thought that maybe the state of the game has deteriorated because they bought in 2 new teams meaning the same amount of talent is now spread across more teams which means the talent level decreases a little?

I for one didn’t have any problem watching the footy this year and actually wish they’d umpire the entire year like they do in finals rather than having an agenda each week.

Nothing is wrong with the game, you’ll always have teams that rebuild and get smashed and are ugly to watch - same in every league in the world.

Eg watching Stoke on a rainy Tuesday night in the EPL

DpWAVZMVAAADU8E.jpg:large

Marc Macgowan(yeh I don't know who he is either) talking about the devil's rule - 666.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-13/ruck-and-role-will-new-rule-change-tactics

"Who clubs place in the goalsquare in that scenario is sure to launch plenty of debate.

Is it your No.1 key forward? A fast-leading type who is good overhead, like Dustin Martin? Or could the No.2 ruckman play that role?"

Now I've never once considered Dusty as a "fast-leading type" and I know his overhead marking has improved but it's still not one of his strengths.

WTF meds do you take when you watch the footy, Marc?

This was my first thought when I read the rule changes! What is the actual point of having a goal square now? Just put a marking on the ground where the man on the mark must stand (20m out). Shorty will take off and be at the 30-40m Mark before he kicks now- straight into the wing...

Hate that rule change!

Also the 50m rule changes are going to cause mass issues. Players can’t interfere or get in the way with the guy who’s got the 50, the player can run straight past the umpire on the way to the 50 to take their kick and they can play on at any time and in any direction! It just means you’re not going to know when you can obstruct/tackle them and are likely to give away another free kick/50..

I hate that they bring in these rules without testing them first at any level- amateur hour

They have literally got the 18 metre goal square rule in without actually having it painted on the grass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back