2019 AFLW DRAFT - 22 October 2019 10:30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
So we drafted 2 ex AFLW and technically 3 more VFLW from our 13 picks. Lauren Tesoriero must be going OK with her rehab. Talk about giving the young in's an opportunity to play a big role in our first season, I think it’s good that there's a challenge there to step up for a place in the team if you want it.
What a good draft for us. We really picked the eyes out of that drat pool, I think we nailed it. Only thing we could have missed on really was Britney Gutknect but we must rate Holly Whitford to do the job in the midfield for us, or maybe we thought we could still get her with our next pick, I’m not sure if another club would have had their sights set on drafting Holly?.

A really strong draft from our recruiters for sure
Round 1 7 (VIC No 5)
Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels), 175cm Midfielder
GWV captain, 2019 U18 AA, 2019 TAC U18 Team, one that I really rate as No 4 after the top 3 girls
Round 2 25 (VIC No 12)
Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges), 172cm Forward/Defender
Eastern co-captain, 2019 U18 AA Tall Utility, 2019 TAC U18 Team, can play key position fwd or back, thumping kick, fantastic player, best tall
Round 2 31 (VIC No 16)
Ella Wood (GWV Rebels), 164cm Midfielder, good solid pick should help out the midfield straight away
Round 2 40 (VIC No 21)
Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights), 172cm Defender
2019 TAC U18 Team, A strong key position back, great mark, great kick, a General down back for Knights and Vic Metro(won both comps)
Round 3 43 (VIC No 23)
Holly Whitford (Melbourne University), 164 cm Midfielder, a 2nd chance for a former Magpie, turned it on for her VFLW side this year
Round 3 55 (VIC No 31)
Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels), 161cm Defender, tough no fuss defender, ready to go right away
Round 4 58 (VIC No 32)
Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets), 182cm Ruck/Forward, strong bodied player, hard to move when she has position, strong hands, a good kick
Round 5 73 (VIC No 41)
Emma Horne (Eastern Ranges),171cm Midfielder, strong bodied mid who will benefit in our AFLW program, hard at it
Round 6 87 (VIC No 49)
Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) 170cm Defender, don't know much about her, but played well for Vic Metro in the U18 champs
Round 6 93 (VIC No 52)
Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers) 172cm Forward, strong marking fwd who had a very good year in U/18 TAC and for Vic Country

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 1 7 (VIC No 5)
GWV captain, 2019 U18 AA, 2019 TAC U18 Team, one that I really rate as No 4 after the top 3 girls
Round 2 25 (VIC No 12)
Eastern co-captain, 2019 U18 AA Tall Utility, 2019 TAC U18 Team, can play key position fwd or back, thumping kick, fantastic player, best tall
Round 2 31 (VIC No 16)
Ella Wood (GWV Rebels), 164cm Midfielder, good solid pick should help out the midfield straight away
Round 2 40 (VIC No 21)
2019 TAC U18 Team, A strong key position back, great mark, great kick, a General down back for Knights and Vic Metro(won both comps)
Round 3 43 (VIC No 23)
Holly Whitford (Melbourne University), 164 cm Midfielder, a 2nd chance for a former Magpie, turned it on for her VFLW side this year
Round 3 55 (VIC No 31)
Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels), 161cm Defender, tough no fuss defender, ready to go right away
Round 4 58 (VIC No 32)
Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets), 182cm Ruck/Forward, strong bodied player, hard to move when she has position, strong hands, a good kick
Round 5 73 (VIC No 41)
Emma Horne (Eastern Ranges),171cm Midfielder, strong bodied mid who will benefit in our AFLW program, hard at it
Round 6 87 (VIC No 49)
Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) 170cm Defender, don't know much about her, but played well for Vic Metro in the U18 champs
Round 6 93 (VIC No 52)
Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers) 172cm Forward, strong marking fwd who had a very good year in U/18 TAC and for Vic Metro

I've gone back and had a look at some comments about our draftees from their U18 clubs and inserted them on their threads and I must say it sounds like we have done really really well and have some exciting players.

I have no doubt Sophie will be a gun but I can't wait to see Laura McClelland's career unfold. Another Junior Australian volleyballer.

“Laura was our leading goalkicker last year and she’s a pretty exciting player. She’s an incredible overhead mark and reads the play really well; we’re just working on her kicking at the moment and she’s knows it’s an area to improve on. We’ve played her in the forward line previously but may look to run her through the midfield this year.” - Eastern Ranges Female Talent Coordinator Jessie Mulholland

Another is Emily Harley.

“Emily is a power athlete. Her assets are her strength, her marking ability and her thumping kick. She’s also very hard to tackle and take to ground. She played as an inside midfielder last year and could go forward and play as a tall marking target too.” - Oakleigh Chargers Female Talent Coordinator Jen Phefley

That's Dusty-esque :)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 1 7 (VIC No 5)
Round 2 25 (VIC No 12)
Round 2 31 (VIC No 16)
Round 2 40 (VIC No 21)
Round 3 43 (VIC No 23)
Round 3 55 (VIC No 31)
Round 4 58 (VIC No 32)
Round 5 73 (VIC No 41)
Round 6 87 (VIC No 49)
Round 6 93 (VIC No 52)
Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers) 172cm Forward, strong marking fwd who had a very good year in U/18 TAC and for Vic Country
Cheers Stan , some of these girls are gonna thrive being in a professional program , getting excited

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Sophie’s highlights look good , handles ball clean , nice mark and kick too . If she can keep on improving , have a really good player on our hands . Get the ball out to conti and Brennan and then let’s go

Sophie Molan is a gun, next best after McEvoy, Patrikios, Newton, surprised the dogs took Morris-Dalton before Molan
With Laura McClelland and Sarah Sansonetti we have the best bookends in Victoria, bar Grant and Brown who were Father/Daughter
A lot of the girls we drafted are captains, vice captains or in leadership groups at their U/18 clubs, strong characters
We needed defenders and we drafted Nekaela Butler and Ciara Fitzgerald
We needed mids and we drafted Ella Wood, Holly Whitford and Emma Horne
Near perfect as can be, stoked to tell you the truth

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I've gone back and had a look at some comments about our draftees from their U18 clubs and inserted them on their threads and I must say it sounds like we have done really really well and have some exciting players.

I have no doubt Sophie will be a gun but I can't wait to see Laura McClelland's career unfold. Another Junior Australian volleyballer.

“Laura was our leading goalkicker last year and she’s a pretty exciting player. She’s an incredible overhead mark and reads the play really well; we’re just working on her kicking at the moment and she’s knows it’s an area to improve on. We’ve played her in the forward line previously but may look to run her through the midfield this year.” - Eastern Ranges Female Talent Coordinator Jessie Mulholland

Another is Emily Harley.

“Emily is a power athlete. Her assets are her strength, her marking ability and her thumping kick. She’s also very hard to tackle and take to ground. She played as an inside midfielder last year and could go forward and play as a tall marking target too.” - Oakleigh Chargers Female Talent Coordinator Jen Phefley

That's Dusty-esque :)

Real rippers TigermanM2, some great players, couldn't be happier especially when we got Sophie Molan and Laura McClelland
Really looking forward to the AFLW season

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Yeah scumbags took my beautiful, talented Grace away
She definitely fits your description aptly
Not happy at all bloody Carlton
Im sure the lovely young gracey
Will return to Punt rd in the very
Near future

toenail63

Senior List
Dec 6, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Sophie Molan is a gun, next best after McEvoy, Patrikios, Newton, surprised the dogs took Morris-Dalton before Molan
With Laura McClelland and Sarah Sansonetti we have the best bookends in Victoria, bar Grant and Brown who were Father/Daughter
A lot of the girls we drafted are captains, vice captains or in leadership groups at their U/18 clubs, strong characters
We needed defenders and we drafted Nekaela Butler and Ciara Fitzgerald
We needed mids and we drafted Ella Wood, Holly Whitford and Emma Horne
Near perfect as can be, stoked to tell you the truth
Emily Harley was great up forward for Metro ,as was Morris-Dalton, interesting that Oakleigh played Emily as a midfielder, I thought Cleo Saxon Jones was good as well for Metro, really happy we have Holly Whitford and Ella Wood also, I have no idea on Nekaela Butler and Ciara Fitzgerald so great to hear that they both play in defence as we needed to get defenders through the draft

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Emily Harley was great up forward for Metro ,as was Morris-Dalton, interesting that Oakleigh played Emily as a midfielder, I thought Cleo Saxon Jones was good as well for Metro, really happy we have Holly Whitford and Ella Wood also, I have no idea on Nekaela Butler and Ciara Fitzgerald so great to hear that they both play in defence as we needed to get defenders through the draft

Emily said she wanted to add another string to her bow and worked on her endurance in the pre season to play midfield also
Emily, Cleo , Nekaela and Laura are beasts, very strongly built
Ciara, Ella and Holly are slightly built, very quick and strong at the contest
Sarah Sansonetti is one of the best defenders along with Millie Brown in Victoria

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Selfish so and so, could have drafted Teagan Brett!!!!!
That's what you get for being in charge I suppose

Teagan was overlooked by everyone so they must think she isn't quite ready. I hope she keeps going and uses this as motivation to prove a few people wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Lauren Tesoriero ruptured her ACL in R6 of the VFL season (15/6/19)

I was a total rupture, not partial.

She didn't have an operation and she will try and play AFLW20 without an ACL.

View attachment 769213
Gee that’s a risk that hasn’t proven to be successful in the past , refer to Dale Morris going down that path this year , he ruptured it on return yea . Oh well I guess at 32 you’d be prepared to take the risk

toenail63

Senior List
Dec 6, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Lauren Tesoriero ruptured her ACL in R6 of the VFL season (15/6/19)

I was a total rupture, not partial.

She didn't have an operation and she will try and play AFLW20 without an ACL.

View attachment 769213
It raised the eyebrows TigermanM2 with this coming out of leftfield like this, You’ve got to respect Lauren as the first AFLW player to move to the Tigers and then invest heavily in us as she has , it would be great to see her run out for us in Round 1, it may still happen and would be inspiring for the group for her to do this but its a risk and I guess it's one that the club is willing to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back