2019 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Abbey Holmes was in the best 100 female footballers not on a list.
Who knows, above average contributor in 2017 but has barely played at any level since. Certainly wasn't in the best 100 based on recent state league form, cos she had none (as opposed to the open-age recruits West Coast did pick up).

But would she have had a better chance at getting drafted by nominating for the Suns' zone? I think so.

Who knows, above average contributor in 2017 but has barely played at any level since. Certainly wasn't in the best 100 based on recent state league form, cos she had none (as opposed to the open-age recruits West Coast did pick up).

But would she have had a better chance at getting drafted by nominating for the Suns' zone? I think so.

I think Abbey tried to glide in on reputation, and you can't do that anymore.

We are now heading into season 4, where the state league players are getting better and we now have a pipeline of junior talent coming through.

As much as I knock Mo Hope, at least she had a crack by playing most of the VFLW season.

I think Abbey tried to glide in on reputation, and you can't do that anymore.

We are now heading into season 4, where the state league players are getting better and we now have a pipeline of junior talent coming through.

As much as I knock Mo Hope, at least she had a crack by playing most of the VFLW season.
But don't you think there must've been a coach at one of the WA clubs encouraging her to nominate? If so, maybe that contributed to a sense of complacency.

Unless it was just a complete shot in the dark in the event of somebody doing their knee a day before the draft, idk.

But don't you think there must've been a coach at one of the WA clubs encouraging her to nominate? If so, maybe that contributed to a sense of complacency.

Unless it was just a complete shot in the dark in the event of somebody doing their knee a day before the draft, idk.

Keegan Brooksby was delisted by the Eagles this week. I reckon that would have changed both Holmes’ and the Eagles thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but I think it’s got something to do with trying not to have players having to completely uproot their whole lives for what is only a part time deal at this stage.
Yes, players unsure of whether they would get picked up might feel obliged to nominate for as wide a pool as possible. This also raises the possibility that players from areas like NSW may feel more like they have to nominate a wide area, where Victorians just nominate Victoria, so NSWs best players may get drafted out of the state before GWS gets a look in, but GWS may not have the same chances to get other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back