2019 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

In another unexpected turn of events, Courtney Gum nominates for the SA draft. Wasn't surprised by her retirement this year, she looked cooked to me, a sudden fall from her stellar 2018. Perhaps bogged down by some niggling injuries in '19, but that's likely to happen in your late-30s.

At first, seems like an unnecessary risk for the Crows, given the doubt clouding much of their list. Though I suppose if they're thinking about finding some short-term relief in the leadership/ball-winning stakes, in the event of Phillips not being Round 1 Ready, it makes sense in theory.

As with Radan and Holmes, these older players wouldn't bother nominating for the draft unless they're definitely going to be picked up... right?

Radan works in politics/government so she often has to move states. When she was initially drafted to the Crows she was based in Canberra and was moved to SA for her job. Then she had to move to Victoria, hence leaving the Crows and being traded to Melbourne. Now her job is taking her off to Perth it seems.

With Courtney, Clarke rang her and requested that she nominate, so I think that's a pretty strong chance she is going to be drafted. We need another big solid body around the midfield and she would be great to help with Marinoff's continued development.

Surely Fremantle pick her... Who else would they pick with the number one WA pick?
Oh I am sure you will pick Roxy - I am just hopeful you don't. :thumbsu:

SOme good players in the WA pool - Mim Strom would be a good ruck but I think you have tha covered with the Irish player.

SOme good players in the WA pool - Mim Strom would be a good ruck but I think you have tha covered with the Irish player.
We need two rucks, I would have thought. You’ve got ours already.

I’m not saying it will happen but I’d be quietly confident as a WCE supporter.

When we chatted to her I asked what club she supported... said Richmond in the men’s and in the women’s and I quote “up until recently I supported...” and then went “oh I’d better not say... I support them all.”

Now surely if it was a Vic club it wouldn’t matter. But I found this really odd, especially when she did mention her best mate (Bowen) played for WCE earlier in the interview.

It might mean nothing, but obviously there’s only one WA club she supported up until recently. Maybe she’s just playing it so it doesn’t give it away, but hardly think it would be breaking news if she said Freo.

When we chatted to her I asked what club she supported... said Richmond in the men’s and in the women’s and I quote “up until recently I supported...” and then went “oh I’d better not say... I support them all.”

Now surely if it was a Vic club it wouldn’t matter. But I found this really odd, especially when she did mention her best mate (Bowen) played for WCE earlier in the interview.

It might mean nothing, but obviously there’s only one WA club she supported up until recently. Maybe she’s just playing it so it doesn’t give it away, but hardly think it would be breaking news if she said Freo.
Does it matter who she supports though?

If Roux isn’t the clear number one, who else could Fremantle choose?

I don’t quite get how her comments make you think she is going to West Coast.

I think she'd be fine at either. She has links to both clubs via her family. Her favourite player (and her state coach) is the Cap'n at Freo but I have a feeling she may have been a WC fan. Think Roux leans towards Freo but she'd be fine at WC as well. O'Driscoll supported WC but would be fine at Freo.

The most interesting pick in WA will be WC's #19. Roux has to go to Freo at #12. WC already have 3 rucks on their list so it'd be weird if they picked Strom. Think Freo gets her with their 2nd or 3rd pick before WC's 2nd pick.

I think she'd be fine at either. She has links to both clubs via her family. Her favourite player (and her state coach) is the Cap'n at Freo but I have a feeling she may have been a WC fan. Think Roux leans towards Freo but she'd be fine at WC as well. O'Driscoll supported WC but would be fine at Freo.

The most interesting pick in WA will be WC's #19. Roux has to go to Freo at #12. WC already have 3 rucks on their list so it'd be weird if they picked Strom. Think Freo gets her with their 2nd or 3rd pick before WC's 2nd pick.

I am hopeful you are right about pick 1.
What kind of player is Kimberley Bowey, who you think might be picked up with WC’s first pick? (From Freo board).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am hopeful you are right about pick 1.
What kind of player is Kimberley Bowey, who you think might be picked up with WC’s first pick? (From Freo board).
Tbh I have no idea who they'll pick - I just needed to put something down so they didn't steal Strom ;) I don't follow them closely enough to have any real clue what their priorities are. Bowey is a key defender (can pinch hit in ruck) from East Freo - she's a bit older at 24yo (thought WC might like to add a senior body). She's actually a Pies fan so she'll be happy if she gets an opportunity at either club.

O'Driscoll, Viney, Pescud are all good prospects and also possible prospects for WC's first picks. But there would be plenty of others as well, and some will be hidden away that we'll only find out about tomorrow.

If Roux isn’t the clear number one, who else could Fremantle choose?

I don’t quite get how her comments make you think she is going to West Coast.
I was certain she was going to Fremantle too (and in all honesty she probably still will). But I’m not sure why what club you support would be something you withhold unless you know you’re going elsewhere, but it was more the “until recently...” which meant it had to be Fremantle (unless she barracked for an interstate club but then that shouldn’t be an issue because she’d know that she would go to a WA side and they would understand. Might be nothing, but like most draftees freely have their supported clubs out where she was about to and if she’d said Freo it was what we’d expect, but it was just the way it was answered. Like I said might be nothing, just found it interesting the way it was approached. Ripper human being though. Absolute A grade.

After today’s draft, will the lists be totally finalised, or are there more opportunities for players who miss out?
Some clubs will have rookie spots to fill which can be for players anywhere in the country should they choose.

So who's going #1 today do we all think?

I think Newton has the most potential as a big bodied mid from what I've seen.

They've been preping the media with Newton....

But my gut says McEvoy... turned down Geelong to go in the metro pool, and will be studying at VU... who the Bulldogs have a partnership with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back