Game Day 2019 AFLW Grand Final: Crows are PREMIERS!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Edit: And speaking of defensive efforts... Tayla Harris will have nightmares about playing the Crows for years to come until Chelsea Randall retires. Kept her quite as a church mouse again to half time, and I doubt things would have been different after half time even without the injury.

I like Tayla but her grand final appearances have been awful. Has a bit of the Josh Jenkins about her, plays really well when the game is on her terms (and a much better contested mark than Josh) but is useless outside of that

Absolutely.

Been one of the better weeks the club has had in the last 18 months, the best probably. ACL injuries aside.

Pity nobody got a photo of clarke heading down the race at half time. Just for a fleeting second, he had a smile on his dial wider than backstairs passage.

I wonder where all those boys club trolls are today? We know who they are.

This team was well coached, its confidence and skill when the ball is contested was elite. Their movement of the ball fast long and direct. They play on whenever they can, genuine run from half back.

I don't understand why or how they were appointed. https://aflua.com.au/congratulations-to-our-aflw-members-appointed-to-the-grand-final/

Eleni didn't even umpire this weekend either - she was the emergency field umpire for the Geelong vs Melbourne game.

Two victorian umpires, the other from canberra.

A joke.

Pity nobody got a photo of clarke heading down the race at half time. Just for a fleeting second, he had a smile on his dial wider than backstairs passage.

I wonder where all those boys club trolls are today? We know who they are.

This team was well coached, its confidence and skill when the ball is contested was elite. Their movement of the ball fast long and direct. They play on whenever they can, genuine run from half back.

Two victorian umpires, the other from canberra.

A joke.
I've been going to the footy regularly since 1993, and there were some decisions yesterday that I legitimately had no idea what was going on. Sometimes you can see (even if you think it was wrong) what the umpire was thinking, but there were several especially in the first half where I just had NFI

Ponter not consodine you idiot.

I'm gonna give Soderstrom a pass for that as I have to put my hand up and say that I've gotten those two confused multiple times in the season, even though they don't look alike. It must be the hair

I legit initially thought it was Ponter who scored the 2nd goal in the first quarter, not Considine - and even when I was at the Prelim last week I got them mixed up at initial looks. Their numbers are even close too! 15 / 16

It watched the presentation again and cant believe how botched the handing over of the cup was.

why was the cup even up there before the captains spoke?
Who was the woman who like refused to hand it over so it could be lifted for the first time?
The iconic lift didn't get its moment

I'm gonna give Soderstrom a pass for that as I have to put my hand up and say that I've gotten those two confused multiple times in the season, even though they don't look alike. It must be the hair

I legit initially thought it was Ponter who scored the 2nd goal in the first quarter, not Considine - and even when I was at the Prelim last week I got them mixed up at initial looks. Their numbers are even close too! 15 / 16
If I can see it from 1200km away and I'm not paid to be a commentator... reckon they should be able to too!

It watched the presentation again and cant believe how botched the handing over of the cup was.

Who was the woman who like refused to hand it over so it could be lifted for the first time?

I was at the pub watching and I was waiting for the cup lift before heading to work - I was pushing it a bit but I was not going to miss it

The woman finally half hands it over after getting herself into the most underwarranted photo opportunities and then they ask Chelsea to make a speech before the cup was lifted - I was just like "WHAT JUST GIVE THEM THE CUP AND LIFT IT UP UTRRRRGH'

I left straight at that point as I was bordering on late for work as it was. Very annoying

I like Tayla but her grand final appearances have been awful. Has a bit of the Josh Jenkins about her, plays really well when the game is on her terms (and a much better contested mark than Josh) but is useless outside of that
Tayla is a one trick pony .....high mark

But she's poor on the ground with a slow recovery ......IMO Jones is the better of the two players already

My recollection is that she didn't know what to do, and she was shuffled in front of the coach & captains by the on-stage minders for a photo op, and after that she was like "what now?"

Not entirely her fault, if she had no experience in the field of cup presenting.

My recollection is that she didn't know what to do, and she was shuffled in front of the coach & captains by the on-stage minders for a photo op, and after that she was like "what now?"

Not entirely her fault, if she had no experience in the field of cup presenting.
Ok but anyone who has ever watched a final of any kind knows the momemt everyone is waiting for is the lifting of the cup, your job is to just hand it over and leave not hang out with them and steal the moment, was then compounded by the fact when they were about to lift it asked the captain for an interview, extremely poor managment.

And Clarkey didn't seem to want to lift it up himself. It was all about the team, not him.

Ok but anyone who has ever watched a final of any kind knows the momemt everyone is waiting for is the lifting of the cup, your job is to just hand it over and leave not hang out with them and steal the moment, was then compounded by the fact when they were about to lift it asked the captain for an interview, extremely poor managment.

Lucky Eddie wasn't commentating.

"She had one job to do, hand the cup over. How hard is that to do, she had all week to practice and she still botched it - she should be fined $5,000".

She was hopeless though, she made it all about herself. Hand the cup to Erin and/or Chelsea then * off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's goals came from a harsh 50 metre penalty and a free kick.
Geelong's goal last week came from a free followed by a lightning quick 50.
Melbourne's goal 2 weeks ago came from a 50.
GWS didn't score a goal in the 2nd half three weeks ago.

So in the last 14 quarters the team played, they conceded 4 goals, three assisted by a 50 metre penalty and the fourth from a free. In other words, no goals conceded from general play in 14 quarters! (Meanwhile, the Crows scored 35 goals).

Oh, for sure, and it seems the lady in question hadn't been paying attention when (if) she had ever watched a major sporting final. On the other hand, people who have never done such a presentation before can get a bit "rabbit in the spotlight" on these occasions, and be not sure exactly when / how to move on the stage, present the cup cleanly, whatever. It's the minders' job to coach / lead them, and clearly there had been no prep work done, compounded by the way they ushered in front for a photo op. Anyway...

Should be a $5000 fine if you cant do it properly.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Someone here commented that the Crows should produce a DVD with this year's season on it. I'd totally buy it.

I've put together the replays of the ten Crows matches this year. That's the preseason trial match against Freo, the seven minor round matches, and the two finals. That should get me through a fair few late night feeds with my baby daughter :p

Only one frustrating loss in there too, better than the three losses I watched again when I did a similar thing after the 2017 AFLW premiership!

This was such an epic day. I and probably everyone else that went never expected to be witness to what was about to unfold, it was uncanny, unexpected, bizarre, beautiful, sad and joyous and usually it’d be odd to think that all of those things could come together and feel totally natural and “right” despite the tragedy of the game.
One thing is etched in my thoughts and that was when Erin was stretchered off while being absolutely celebrated by the crowd and players, I couldn’t help but think the little 13 year old girl inside of her was witnessing all of her impossible dreams come true in the most uncanny of circumstances, it’s the most bizarre and beautifully sad and poignant things I’ve witnessed in sport.
I’m pretty sure most went as a curiosity and to support this great team and we got gifted a memory of a lifetime.

Big crowds are great. But what pissed me of was that alot of AFC fans at this game gave little to no shits about AFLW and simply decided to gate crash the party of those of us who go to every game.

Yeah, I know right: don’t they know we discovered the band first, before they became popular. We’re the true fans, it was way better back when they were struggling and living rough. Then it was all about the music

All these bandwagoners suck, no respect for those of us there at the beginning. The band is ours, not theirs

Wish people would stop following them

thing is, if you wanted to show case a great experience, the sort of thing to convert your young daughter to the game that is exactly the right occasion to take them for their first or only game

That’s a conversion opportunity in the way, that round 1 at an empty surburban game isn’t

Getting people there for the first time is a massive WIN. Not a cause for complaint

I think adelaidecrows' point, as poorly expressed as it was, was meant to be that it's a shame for people who have supported the league and the team from the beginning to miss out on the biggest match because of bandwagon supporters jumping on at the last minute and taking up spots. Similar to how going to an AFL grand final is out of the question for most supporters.

Except, that's not what happened in this case. I had to come late due to a couple of morning commitments, and there were still plenty of buses. I found a park at Modbury Interchange at 11:50, and still managed to get into the ground in time to see the opening bounce at 12:30pm. There was a fair line outside the stadium but they got us through nice and quick. Couldn't find two seats in a row (went with my dad) anywhere in level 1 so we stood up for the first quarter, then moved to upper levels when they opened it up. Had an absolutely awesome time, the two heartbreaking knee injuries aside.

I was trying to work it out yesterday, and I think I've been to eight of the eleven matches based in Adelaide so far. Possibly nine, I can't remember if I made it to one or two matches last year. I went to all the games in Adelaide in the first year. I've still got great memories of standing under the giant tree on the east side of Thebby oval with all the players' numbers on my phone, trying to remember who they all were. I think of myself as an early adopter of the team and the league. There was no impediment whatsoever on me when such a large crowd came to the ground. Quite the opposite, it gave me goosebumps to see such a large crowd when I walked in the oval, and hearing them scream and cheer and shout at every bump, every free kick, every tackle, every mark, every goal was incredible.

Nobody that wanted to go to the game was turned away, nobody was prevented from being a part of the day. And I tell you what, I'm not sure if there were really 53k people there, but there was at least 30k+ still in their seats when my dad and I finally started to leave well after the presentations were over. Everybody who was there just wanted the day to go on forever.

I think the compare was worried with Clarkes height and Phillips leg.

And what about the Charlton captains speech? She dribbled on forever and her praise of us was not genuine. Bad bad sport. Everyone knows the losers say as little as possible and get the phuq out of there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back