2019 AFLW Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish my daughter was draft age this year, never going to be a better opportunity to get on a list.

It's like when they used to have McDonalds day at school and they'd bring that big drink dispenser and put some orange cordial in it and then water it down into nothing more than orange coloured ice water.

They're losing me on AFLW and it's entirely because the AFL is completely unable to let anything breathe organically and grow at a healthy, sustainable rate. They spread it so thin in an attempt to scrape every extra cent out. They don't give the faintest * about quality of product or regard for the emotional attachments fans build with players at their club.

It's like when they used to have McDonalds day at school and they'd bring that big drink dispenser and put some orange cordial in it and then water it down into nothing more than orange coloured ice water.

They're losing me on AFLW and it's entirely because the AFL is completely unable to let anything breathe organically and grow at a healthy, sustainable rate. They spread it so thin in an attempt to scrape every extra cent out. They don't give the faintest **** about quality of product or regard for the emotional attachments fans build with players at their club.

Is it the AFL or the clubs? The AFL isn’t making money out of it. It’s fair enough that the clubs wanted in on it and would have been unfair to keep it to only eight teams and have the other clubs miss out. At the same time it wouldn’t have been as popular (possibly not even close) if they didn’t represent clubs with established fan bases.

Just need to give it time and not get too emotionally involved (like a lot on this board). At this stage it isn’t a worth taking seriously.

Guess we'll find out what value SFT has at the trade table now.

Richmond will trade us pick 3 in this years draft. Hooray.

So what will be the rules for drafting the QLD girls? Seeing as they're most likely to nominate QLD as their State of preference, will it be open slather regardless of which academy they come through, so effectively a QLD pool of talent? will there be a bidding system on each others academy girls? or will we simply have first rights from our academy?

Will also be interesting to see if any interstate girls nominate QLD here on out.

No Rebecca, they don't. They really, really, really don't, in fact I'd even go so far as to say they actively want us to fail.

Why?

Because a strong so called minnow club like Brisbane should never be on equal footing with the big vic clubs. I mean why else bring in another club in Qld when we can barely get 25000 paid up members? Our purpose is so HQ can say they have a team in Qld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four Brisbane Lions AFLW players have been nominated for this year's Virgin Australia AFL Women's All Australian team.

Ally Anderson, Nat Exon, Kate Lutkins and Jess Wuetschner were named in the squad on Thursday afternoon.

The 40-player squad also includes nine Adelaide, six Fremantle and five North Melbourne players. A final team of 21 including a captain and vice-captain will be announced at the W Awards in Melbourne on Tuesday, April 2.

The Blues giving the Dockers a belting 37-8 in the preliminary final.

It's a shame but I'd forgotten this was on until I had a look at foxsports.com for score updates of the Demons v Power game, the women's game really does get lost in the publicity of the men's game.

And North wouldn't play any finals.

I'm glad North didn't make the finals. I was in a rage that we've been so crap this year and then to learn that the poacharoos (whoever came up with this, thank you!) were going to be denied finals........made me happy. It was made even better with all the geelong and inferior percentage stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back