M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm not up on all the drafting rules for the AFLW re next seasons expansion clubs, do they get first crack at any young talent coming through eg. pre draft or extra early selections in the ND ah la Giants/Suns when they came in?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I'm not up on all the drafting rules for the AFLW re next seasons expansion clubs, do they get first crack at any young talent coming through eg. pre draft or extra early selections in the ND ah la Giants/Suns when they came in?
The link I posted a page or two back mentions that we've been compensated with 3 additional first round picks from the AFL for the loss of interstate.

What a crock.

We can't draft any interstate talent unless they want to come to us. I haven't read it confirmed yet, but I assume because both the Suns and Lions now run AFLW academies, that each club will be drafting girls from our own academies almost exclusively.

We could have the 10 first draft picks or the last 10 draft picks, and we're still drafting the exact same girls.

If both QLD clubs can draft out of each others academies, it'll be ok Brisbane Lions draft Jane Doe from Tweed Heads. Jane signs a one year contract and leaves at the end of the season to return to the Gold Coasts, and we're compensated with a almost pointless draft pick.

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When you consider the season only goes 7 weeks, she would be in Vic 2 to 3 of those anyway and the pre season is maybe 10 weeks she could be still living in Victoria 75% of the year anyway.

Just be honest “Richmond offered me a significant pay rise and I took it”

I would actually except that rather than the excuses I have heard from the players so far.
You're possibly right re the money, but I know the Lions girls still train with the club year round (not to the same degree as during the AFLW season obviously) and I'm sure the others clubs would too

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
You're possibly right re the money, but I know the Lions girls still train with the club year round (not to the same degree as during the AFLW season obviously) and I'm sure the others clubs would too
Yup, pretty sure it was Zielke we saw doing weights under the Gabba last week.

JakePeralta

Senior List
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I didn't say they couldn't come to their own conclusions. You can come to whatever conclusion you like but it needs to have credible sources to back it up, not just that you heard from somewhere.
Just to clarify, I wasn't shooting from the hip or coming to conclusions.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The link I posted a page or two back mentions that we've been compensated with 3 additional first round picks from the AFL for the loss of interstate.

What a crock.

We can't draft any interstate talent unless they want to come to us. I haven't read it confirmed yet, but I assume because both the Suns and Lions now run AFLW academies, that each club will be drafting girls from our own academies almost exclusively.

We could have the 10 first draft picks or the last 10 draft picks, and we're still drafting the exact same girls.

If both QLD clubs can draft out of each others academies, it'll be ok Brisbane Lions draft Jane Doe from Tweed Heads. Jane signs a one year contract and leaves at the end of the season to return to the Gold Coasts, and we're compensated with a almost pointless draft pick.
The definition of a Mickey Mouse competition with zero credibility.

Kate McCarthy confirms she is heading to St Kilda

Once again it comes down to what other job you can offer players which is just stuffed. Basically its just a buy a player with a job scenario. Wonder who wins out of that arrangement. No coincidence that of the newcomers in victoria the Tigers have got most of the big names.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Once again it comes down to what other job you can offer players which is just stuffed. Basically its just a buy a player with a job scenario. Wonder who wins out of that arrangement. No coincidence that of the newcomers in victoria the Tigers have got most of the big names.

Yep. Can't blame her at all.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Fatcat08 said:

Yep. Can't blame her at all.

I'm starting to get heartily sick of "being understanding". When that starts to be more than a one way street, of our players leaving for elsewhere, that might change.

"Career after football"

Yep, there it is. The AFL and AFLW are taking the complete piss if they don't acknowledge this.

So long Kate, all the best, hope Nacho can adjust to the cold weather.

Back