Game Day 2019 AFLW Semi-Final: Crows vs Cats (@Adelaide Oval 12.40pm 24/3/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep our comeback started half way through the third and we piled on 7 goals to 1 to win. The following week we also ended up conceding far too many goals to Geelong.

Since then we've strengthened up defensively and become stronger across the entire field. Add in the home ground advantage which I feel is massive in AFLW and I think we should dominate again. I'd be more wary if it was played at Ikon

There work ethic and physicality is up to a grand final. It was impressive today. Why they dominated.

There was some good passages of play once the first goal of the third quarter was kicked.

Alot of skill errors in the first half.

I spent the first half on the Eastern wing, level 1 and the atmosphere was great. Went up to a level 2 seat in thr pocket after half time and it was dead! At one point we kicked a goal and nobody made a noise. I cheered and got glared at. Went down to level 1 again pretty quick!
Geelong fans?

I reckon a big difference is the women are passionate. For the men, it's just a job
Some of the kicking from set shots is better than the men.
That goal from Chelsea Randall was a pearler the way it swung through the middle.
But the men are on a lot more money and much higher pressure hence they can miss those shots.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I spent the first half on the Eastern wing, level 1 and the atmosphere was great. Went up to a level 2 seat in thr pocket after half time and it was dead! At one point we kicked a goal and nobody made a noise. I cheered and got glared at. Went down to level 1 again pretty quick!

We were on wing, second level. Good atmosphere. Pity the second half played mostly on members wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's personality rather than age that affects loud barracking. Heck, I'm an older female, and I used to yell and shout with the best of them.

What are your thoughts on Sarah Perkins. I saw her on the field at he end of the game. Her lack of mobility IMHO may see her not getting another game. Shame really but that's how its evolving.

What are your thoughts on Sarah Perkins. I saw her on the field at he end of the game. Her lack of mobility IMHO may see her not getting another game. Shame really but that's how its evolving.
You would think she's played her last game for afc perhaps but surely one of the new sides would pick her up get her fitter than ever and she'd be a half decent chance to play in their forward line. Not many players around that can kick her distance... Plus she sounds like a person with good character and experience to have around a footy club.

You would think she's played her last game for afc perhaps but surely one of the new sides would pick her up get her fitter than ever and she'd be a half decent chance to play in their forward line. Not many players around that can kick her distance... Plus she sounds like a person with good character and experience to have around a footy club.

I think so too. Our game is primarily based around hard running and defensive pressure. It’s basically a near identical style of system to that of the men’s from 2017 side. There was no one forward focus and it’s highly unpredictable where our goals are coming from!
With our current system, it’s much more preferable to have a Scheer or a Ponter who can kick 1-2 goals (similar to Perkins average) but these new recruits are capable of getting much more disposals and repeat efforts. I see Perkins as being a handy recruit to one of the new developing teams for next year. Certainly I still see her as being relevant in AFLW in the least.

Maybe we can start a campaign to see if we can get a bigger crowd than Port get on Saturday. That would bring the crowd in.

Well I'm going. Mrs Arrowman, who doesn't follow footy, when she heard about it, said "well if you're going to come home grumpy like you did last night, and then not go to watch the women play in a gf next week..."

She's right.

If she can get fitter, she would still be a force. Just too slow when she played this year, couldn't get to contests enough and was no help at all when the ball was loose and either getting it, or tackling was required.

Fantastic win today, a completely dominating performance. Especially loved the pressure, shepherding and protection of the ball carrier which seemed to be happening all the time when we had possession. Then there was the tackle pressure when we weren't in possession - wowee! Was pretty clear early on that Geelong were outclassed and didn’t really deserve to be playing finals and as the game was wrapped up after half time, there was one point in the third quarter where it looked like Phillips, Randall and Marinoff were all resting on the bench in preparation for the GF.

Also just finished watching the R2 game against Carlton again – reassuringly it took them 10 minutes for their first inside 50, with their first 2 goals also resulting from free kicks. Can’t find the stats anywhere, but they called the inside 50s in the first quarter being 12-4 in our favour despite only leading by a couple of points and it ended around 37-19. Despite all that we still went scoreless in the second quarter, but I can’t see that happening again.

Quite interesting to see how our team has evolved since then with the pressure stuff mentioned above being hardly sighted back then. I think it was also Stevie-Lee’s first game in the forward line where she’s been ever since her 4 goal outing, and also Ponter’s first game although she played in defence. Randall was out injured, and Sophie Li was her replacement who’s also been able to keep her spot.

Marinoff was tagged out for the first half – don’t think they called her name once. After first matching up Brianna Davey on Erin, they tried to tag her with Jess Edwards. Have a feeling we can expect to see tactic again next week, but I think our team will definitely be stronger than it was in R2. Can’t seem to find a team list to compare, but the main outs versus today seem to be Perkins, Sally Riley and the netball rookie Maisie Nankervall. While she laid a few good tackles and kicked a nice goal in our comeback, Perkins unfortunately looks to be too slow for the current level of play, with rebounding defenders having little trouble being able to get away from her.

Have a feeling we can expect to see tactic again next week, but I think our team will definitely be stronger than it was in R2. Can’t seem to find a team list to compare, but the main outs versus today seem to be Perkins, Sally Riley and the netball rookie Maisie Nankervall.

Nearly correct. Riley didn't play that game, but Nankivell and Perkins did, and those are the only two changes from our current squad of 21.

The big out on that day in R2 was Chelsea Randall. If you recall, Tayla Harris also missed that day and the commentators seemingly forgot that Randall was out, such was the focus on Harris. In reality, Randall has blanketed Harris every time they've ever played on each other.

The other out was McCormick who was busy with her W-League matches at the time. It's fairly obvious that Randall and McCormick is a significant step up from Nankivell and Perkins.

Carlton's team changes between round 2 and the prelim are as follows:

IN: Tayla Harris, Brooke Walker, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Charlotte Wilson
OUT: Kirby Bentley, Rhiannon Watt, Shae Audley, Natalie Plane

I don't really know enough about Carlton's team to know how important those changes are, although obviously Harris is a big name.

Incidentally, for those who don't know of the website, you can get game-by-game AFLW stats at http://australianfootball.com - it's a bit clunky and the server is slow, but it's the only site I've found that reliably has them.

Edit: Hah, just as I post that, their website goes down. Go figure.

Speaking of stats, has anyone else had an issue with the official AFL women's stats page? There used to be an option at the top to change between "Teams" and "Players" stats, but in the past week "Teams" is the only option. https://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/stats

If anyone know of a better website for AFLW stats than the one I linked above, I'd love to hear it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back