AFLW 2019 AFLW Sign & Trade Period (8th-18th)

Remove this Banner Ad

*If* this is true that Bri wants to go to the Pies, besides money (which anyone on a semi-pro contract would want more of), there's the possibility that the Pies' VFLW coach, Penny Cula-Reid (minor premiers VFLW last year) could be appointed as the AFLW coach.

Worth noting Penny and Bri were co-captains at the St Kilda Sharks in 2017.

*Side note about people questioning Katie Brennan's loyalty - she hasn't been at the Bulldogs for just 3 years, but since 2013 if you include all the exhibition matches. One of the very few Exhibition Matches/AFLW one club players.

Just quietly, on the unpopular opinion side of things.

Bri is heart and soul and would leave a gaping hole. However, having finished second, we are well down the draft order. With the rise of AFLW, there are
some elite kids coming through now, with footy as their first choice, not an afterthought opportunity. One such kid dominating at junior level is the sister of our very own Maddy Prespakis. She is pretty much dominating at lower level. Wonder what we may think in 5 years time if wooden spoon Magpies first pick presents us with a dynasty. This expansion crap will stop soon, and lists will consolidate. The team with the best young list is going to be in an envious position. If the rules don't change the battling teams will be cherrypicked for talent, making team building very, very difficult.

Yes and no. Still two more vic teams to enter by the time we have a full league (Hawks & Bombers)

Bri is a developed and ready to go player with a known ability as well as leadership. She's 24 years old and has plenty of playing days ahead of her.

A number 1 draft pick can stand out right away, Maddy Prespakis was a #3 pick but would have been #1 if there weren't draft zones. We'll probably lose her to the bombers when they enter if they offer her captancy whenever they come into the comp (2022 perhaps)

Could this be the reason ...

One wonders if she is actually interested in the Magpies' coaching role, or it's a case of the Magpies not having a coach & Goddard not having a gig therefore she must be in the running for the Magpies' gig. It was only a couple of days ago that Spud Frawley was touted as being in the Magpies' sights. Interesting times ahead.

There was talk last year, but after everything that the club achieved this year I'm still really surprised she wants to take off, didn't see that coming...
I don’t think loyalty is strong in the women’s league. You can’t bllame the players. Have to earn a living.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no points system, the clubs didn't like it.

We've delisted 5 players, two to go (not sure if trading Bri out counts for one of 7 delistings)

Just quietly, on the unpopular opinion side of things.

Bri is heart and soul and would leave a gaping hole. However, having finished second, we are well down the draft order. With the rise of AFLW, there are
some elite kids coming through now, with footy as their first choice, not an afterthought opportunity. One such kid dominating at junior level is the sister of our very own Maddy Prespakis. She is pretty much dominating at lower level. Wonder what we may think in 5 years time if wooden spoon Magpies first pick presents us with a dynasty. This expansion crap will stop soon, and lists will consolidate. The team with the best young list is going to be in an envious position. If the rules don't change the battling teams will be cherrypicked for talent, making team building very, very difficult.

I agree. I am in awe of Bri Davey, but I can see the merit in trading off established stars for draft picks.

I think the quality of the talent is going to improve every year as you get the kids who have played footy since they were young.

You could see 18yo, 19yo kids outperforming many of their 25+ peers who missed out on years of playing footy and are late joiners (not their fault pathways weren't there).

Compromised drafts aside, I'd be happier to focus on drafting rather than trading in players in the years ahead.

Former Blue Nat Exon is leaving the lions to join the saints: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...n/news-story/327f1ee747ae6a34227f36b6c0d6058d

Brisbane must brace for life without two key players, after Kate McCarthy and Nat Exon accepted offers to join expansion club St Kilda.

So that makes us the outright and undeniable winners of the Tayla Harris trade, if she remains with us next season given that Bella Ayre has unfortunately been forced to retire due to injuries.

CARLTON
In:
Tayla Harris, Pick 12
Out: Nat Exon, Bella Ayre, Bianca Jakobsson

MELBOURNE
In:
Bianca Jakobsson
Out: Deanna Berry

BRISBANE
In:
Nat Exon, Bella Ayre
Out: Tayla Harris

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In:
Deanna Berry
Out: Pick 12

A bit of a pity she didn't rejoin us (although we have had to trade for her, unlike the saints who poached her)

Edit: Pick 12 we used to draft Georgia Gee, so yeah, we really won that trade even if he had to give up Bianca Jakobsson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back