• Craig Thompson

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • David O'Donovan

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from spreading accountability for the on-field trainwreck, I think this is probably a deliberate move to distance ourselves from the real Port and lower supporter expectations.

Don’t be surprised if “See? This isn’t the SANFL anymore, we can’t win every year” becomes our next membership slogan.
lol - they tap into history and tradition when it suits them.

If the people running the club had a sustained track record of on-field success, you'd give them the benefit of the doubt. However, it's clear they don't really know why they aren't successful and are throwing darts blindfolded to try to fix it. Co-captains is just the latest "let's try something different and see if it works" experiment.

The disappointment I feel towards this club right now is immense.

I doubt I’ll see more than a handful of games this year.

Primus in his coaches corner video: I want to play like Sydney.

Koch 2019: look at Sydney.

We haven't changed since the dark days. Still chasing other clubs for examples instead of leading.

Garbage organisation.

Hawthorn dont do it and they make finals every year. Geelong dont do it and they play finals every year.

The Sydney explanation is bizarre

Thanks REH excellent as always.

When we the people get control back of our club one day I hope you are on the board.

Sounds like el presidente (and by extension the club that he leads and sets the tone for) has many skills but perhaps reading the room/ general feeling of others is not one of them re co captains.
They seem well aware of the discontent of some supporters. It certainly was the most vocal the membership got during the AGM so it was very clear. I think they've backed themselves into a corner over the captaincy issue.

Last 10 premierships
18: WCE - 1 captain
17: RICH - 1 captain
16: WB - 1 captain
15: HAW - 1 captain
14: HAW - 1 captain
13: HAW - 1 captain
12: SYD - 1 captain
11: GEE - 1 captain
10: COLL - 1 captain
09: GEE - 1 captain

Mediocrity accepted in the coaches box and in the boardroom
Wow. Why didn't you post that before the AGM. I would have been happy to read that out when the issue was raised. Would have been the perfect counter argument.

Furthermore they still said once that they want to play the Port Adelaide way. Whilst they break tradition to camouflage their failures.
This group of players will never play the Port Adelaide way. They have demonstrated from 2015 onwards that they do NOT have the desire to win a flag. Until we turn over these players and bring higher standards to this club nothing will change.

Thanks REH excellent as always.

When we the people get control back of our club one day I hope you are on the board.

Sounds like el presidente (and by extension the club that he leads and sets the tone for) has many skills but perhaps reading the room/ general feeling of others is not one of them re co captains.
I don't think he can handle dissension.

Doesn't suit his brand of always looking good and in control of himself and the situation.

Overall I am very satisfied that he is with us, having made a difference and giving us a national face, and hope he continues. But crikey, sometimes one just thinks he should stand in the other person's shoes now and again.

Far from his roots at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 10 premierships

Not to oppose the point you've made but 2012 Sydney had Goodes and McVeigh as captains that season, although McVeigh assumed the role on the Grand Final.

Hawthorn dont do it and they make finals every year. Geelong dont do it and they play finals every year.

The Sydney explanation is bizarre

I agree. There was a time when Hawthorn were winning flags every year. It is simply unnecessary to alter our tradition on this matter and having one captain is not detrimental to the club and I detest that Koch has questioned it.

When Mark Williams was coach after Cunningham departed I felt that our Members Evenings and AGMs had occasional moments where the attendees were spoken to with condescending tones. When KT arrived that improved but last night Hinkley's tone was again condescending in my opinion.

I forgot to mention that he he said "whether it's two or three" when discussing the co-captaincy option. His intention was to rile the members.
There is a lot of the arrogant Williams' attitude and leadership with this current regime (I thought it was just Hinkley but it seems it goes deeper). They believe they own the club and can tell us what we need and what we will get, and that we should be more grateful. Very annoying.

Last 10 premierships

Email that list to the club. Once again they are looking in the wrong places to fix our mess. This has a 2010-12 feel about it.

There is a lot of the arrogant Williams' attitude and leadership with this current regime (I thought it was just Hinkley but it seems it goes deeper). They believe they own the club and can tell us what we need and what we will get, and that we should be more grateful. Very annoying.
I think it’s as much confused self-doubt and desperate defensivessness as arrogance. They don’t understand deep down why we are not improving on or off field, and this is the best they can do.

On the issue of co-captaincy and from Koch's response, it sounded like he favours it. He drew upon Sydney's success playing 21 of the last 24 finals with co-captains and questioned if it is the best thing for the club to be successful then why not? There was a strong voice of discontent from the members when Koch spoke about it and so he withdrew immediately. Afterwards Hinkley drew upon the success we had when Geof Motley was captain and didn't wear number 1.

I thought that for Hinkley to bring that up after the members were discontent moments earlier was poor especially with his mannerism. It is a sensitive issue and I felt that Koch didn't properly prepare to discuss it and deliver an explanation of why it should be considered.

I really have tired with the club being selective about the examples they draw reference from just to suit their desires.
Hinkley at the Port AGM reminds the room that Gentleman Geof didn’t wear No. 1 in 1959 onwards.
Hinkley? Lectures the room re memories of Geof Motley? A room of people who know more about Motley than he does?
This is proof of what this loser really thinks of us.

I think it’s as much confused self-doubt and desperate defensivessness as arrogance. They don’t understand deep down why we are not improving on or off field, and this is the best they can do.
I think you are right however i am sure that a few seasons ago there was Hinkley arrogance. I guess that can't admit they don't know what they are doing otherwise they would have to step aside and acknowledge they are not qualified to perform the job that they are paid to do.

Hinkley at the Port AGM reminds the room that Gentleman Geof didn’t wear No. 1 in 1959 onwards.
Hinkley? Lectures the room re memories of Geof Motley? A room of people who know more about Motley than he does?
This is proof of what this loser really thinks of us.

I disagree with your call there. I think Ken buying into our clubs history is fantastic.

I have been told that the football committee are gun-ho for two captains and the board is unsure on whether it should overrule their recommendation or not because they want to be a board that doesn't meddle with the football operations.

Back