2019 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Was held tonight. The main news will be the Don Scott no show to accept his induction as a legend, which is a shame and the Club/Don should sort it out. It should have never got this far.

No jumper number annoucncements. Good to hear from the new guys. Clarko has come up with some interesting nicknames for them.

The questions from the audience were terrible, as keeps with the theme for all AGM questions.

Don wanted it presented at the life members lunch, because his football mates attend that. My personal opinion is that the AGM is better as anyone that wants to pay respect to Don can attend, including his mates. Pretty easy for him to book a couple of tables, or even a room at a near by venue for celebrations after the AGM with his mates, but still give his fans the opportunity to watch him receive it. it probably needs to be set in stone as to where these things are presented, Hall of game dinner makes sense, if the public can also buy tickets, but I don’t think we have them every year.

Don wanted it presented at the life members lunch, because his football mates attend that. My personal opinion is that the AGM is better as anyone that wants to pay respect to Don can attend, including his mates. Pretty easy for him to book a couple of tables, or even a room at a near by venue for celebrations after the AGM with his mates, but still give his fans the opportunity to watch him receive it. it probably needs to be set in stone as to where these things are presented, Hall of game dinner makes sense, if the public can also buy tickets, but I don’t think we have them every year.
I think it should be done on Peter Crimmons medal night. Then we can have 1 night for all awards and acknowledgements/tributes.

HOF, life members, b&f, retirement/trade send off (if possible like for hilly).

We have 1 night a year where we celebrate and praise individuals and their contributions to the club. Every other day we put team first and try to win flags.

There should be an IQ test at the door for these AGMs. Some of the questions from the audience... embarassing
Then all these same people get to elect the leader of the country.

Where do you draw the line?

Idiots gonna idiot.

Every other legend has been given a club dinner and Don Scott should of been afforded the same option.

Kennett was very much aware that Scott didn’t want it presented at the AGM yet he went ahead and did it anyway. Total lack of respect and kudos to Russell Greene for calling him out on it - disgraceful treatment

There should be an IQ test at the door for these AGMs. Some of the questions from the audience... embarassing

I attended a few a while back and people were asking things like; "why didn't I get the same seat allocation with my membership as last year?, now I have to sit in a section with the sun in my eyes, it's far away from the toilets and my radio won't work!" - type of nonsense...

BTW, any mention of Dingley, are the development estimates up to 200M yet?

Last edited:
Any examples?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every other legend has been given a club dinner and Don Scott should of been afforded the same option.

Kennett was very much aware that Scott didn’t want it presented at the AGM yet he went ahead and did it anyway. Total lack of respect and kudos to Russell Greene for calling him out on it - disgraceful treatment

That's simply not true.

Of the information I can find, Kennedy Sr and Lethal were named as legends in the unveiling of the Hall of Fame. Graham Arthur was named on a Hall of Fame night. Hudson, Parkin and Tuck were announced as a legends on Season Launch and Guernsey Presentation nights. Jason Dunstall was elevated to legend status on a 25th anniversary of the 88/89 flags. Peter Knights was during the mid-season ball.

They weren't all given a club dinner, they were fit in where suitable. Don Scott is being a diva. No other legend has been presented with the honour at a life member's lunch that completely excludes the supporters from being able to be there to celebrate.

We should all be grateful for what he did in the past, but that only lasts so long. There's no reason for the club to go so far out of its own way simply to appease an old man that doesn't want anything to do with it anymore.

................... There's no reason for the club to go so far out of its own way simply to appease an old man that doesn't want anything to do with it anymore.

?
We have the kind of Club schedule that to anoint a Legend of the club, we couldn't do it at a time/locale of his choosing?
Sounds like you think he owes us, just some old dude who should be grateful.
I reckon we owe him. Alot. I think were the ones who should be grateful. So much more than making him bend to our will and way.
Poor for mine.

?
We have the kind of Club schedule that to anoint a Legend of the club, we couldn't do it at a time/locale of his choosing?
Sounds like you think he owes us, just some old dude who should be grateful.
I reckon we owe him. Alot. I think were the ones who should be grateful. So much more than making him bend to our will and way.
Poor for mine.

I think logistically it's important to sort out an arrangement in the best interest of all involved. No other Hall of Fame inductee or Legend has been granted that honour on an exclusive day where the general public and the majority of the club are expressly excluded.

Sure, the club owes him for the part he played in stopping the merger. The issue is how far that debt of gratitude goes. Even Scott himself would admit that it wasn't solely he that stopped it from happening. There were other equally influential people; the iconic image of Chris Langford holding the guernsey up high. Leon Rice and Ian Dicker both had huge parts to play, Brian Falconer and Dermott Brereton were all key.

The aftermath of the merger was great, it saved Hawthorn - until 2004 when the leadership of Don would likely have led us to having another year of Schwab. He's harbored this bitterness and hatred towards a lot of club leadership and Kennett for that, as well as other stupid petty things like his son "not getting a chance" when he was simply not good enough.

He's on record as not particularly supporting Hawthorn anymore, and not wanting to have much at all (if anything) to do with it. How does it, then, benefit the club to go out of their way to honour an ex player with that attitude towards it? It doesn't at all. The fact that he's not gotten over the trivial bullshit from the past is testament to why the club should be firm.

If he has to make the club bend to his will, he doesn't care at all about it and therefore should not get the recognition.

Any examples?
Jeff explained in detail about the clubs revenue from pokies and the desire to phase them them out. He also explained that the club was actively seeking alternative sources of revenue to replace funds received from pokies rather than an immediately stopping them, which would put the club into the red. Pokies contribute aprox. 4 million per annum and the club had a profit of 2.1 million(aprox) last year. Then the very first question was "What is the club doing about pokies". Jeff handled it with more aplomb than I would have. My 2 cents on the Don Scott thing is (other than no one desrves it more) is to have it presented at the AGM but announce it prior to the membership, I reckon the hall would be packed to the rafters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back