2019 AGM

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Clarko should just go around to his house and give him his award. If the prophet wont go to the mountain, then the mountain needs to go to the prophet.

Any reason on this earth that Don can’t accept it at the AGM to get his applause and be celebrated, then duck off to a dinner with former teammates for a more intimate and formal presentation?

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
I think Clarko should just go around to his house and give him his award. If the prophet wont go to the mountain, then the mountain needs to go to the prophet.

Surely Don couldn't refuse being given his much deserved award from a guy who played for Melbourne in 1996.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any reason on this earth that Don can’t accept it at the AGM to get his applause and be celebrated, then duck off to a dinner with former teammates for a more intimate and formal presentation?

Why should he have to? The award is for him, not a ceremony for our benefit to feel good about ourselves awarding him the honor. That's dumbass thinking and selfish to a ridiculous degree.
Absolutely frickin ridiculous that the Club is making it about themselves. It's about Don. It's a congratulations to Don. It's to show mad respect to Don. If he wants it on a floating Lilo while in St Tropez, that's where he should receive it.
It's NOT for us, it's for HIM.
Reminds me of Trump removing his offer to celebrate some of our US sporting champion teams (including the Warriors organization) because some of those teams players didn't want it to be about a photo op for a self agrandizing President and his politics.
Why TF should you or any supporter insist like you're owed something in this moment - because clearly you aint.
You owe the great man, whether he barracks or gives two shits anymore about the Club.
Without him, quite seriously, I reckon there'd be no club.
The way he presented that fateful night, he turned a tide.
And now, you need some event for yourselves as though you need to piggy back his efforts, to make him see and accept your plaudits.
Rubbish, absolute rubbish.

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Don Scott is lost on you then. It takes a special human to have done the things he did. Some say the club is bigger than the individual. This is not the case in this instance..and those that enjoy modern Hawthorn..pause for a moment.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why should he have to? The award is for him, not a ceremony for our benefit to feel good about ourselves awarding him the honor. That's dumbass thinking and selfish to a ridiculous degree.
Absolutely frickin ridiculous that the Club is making it about themselves. It's about Don. It's a congratulations to Don. It's to show mad respect to Don. If he wants it on a floating Lilo while in St Tropez, that's where he should receive it.
Reminds me of Trump removing his offer to celebrate some of our US sporting champion teams (including the Warriors organization) because some of those teams players didn't want it to be about a photo op for a self agrandizing President and his politics.
Why TF should you or any supporter insist like you're owed something in this moment - because clearly you aint.
You owe the great man, whether he barracks or gives two shits anymore about the Club.
And now, you need some event for yourselves as though you need to piggy back his efforts, to make him see and accept your plaudits.

What about the thousands of people that dipped into their pockets to support the cause and follow his lead? He is a legend, many would love show him the love he deserves. That’s just my opinion

The fact that Jeff Kennett is president of the club is irrelevant. Post merger Don had a falling out with Ian Dicker and led a group to have him removed as president. I have heard the option of a special function was discussed with Don however there was the suggestion he didn't want the club to make any money out of him being made a legend. Hence the club's position to present the award at the AGM and why Don wants it at a past players function. Sadly Don has no interest in providing members with the opportunity to honour his great contribution to the club.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
............... Sadly Don has no interest in providing members with the opportunity to honour his great contribution to the club.

Soooooooooo what.
And I mean that respectfully HH.
We are either giving it to HIM, or it's about US.
In this world of all about me, can't anybody do anything that's selfless.
Like, yeah, walk in to a room full of legends and greats and bean counters alike who were telling members that this might be the only way to really survive, to thrive in fact, to change our name and lose our colors and be swallowed whole by the woeful MFC, and he in 30 seconds pulled our club out of it's fait a complis malaise and started the march back up a long tough hill to where we are today.
Everyone who galvanized behind him are part of that journey, s**t, even if you didn't but are glad in you're heart SOMEONE was able to turn the boat around, all are able to share in that special moment.
But that weird *er with flailing arms and bandaged head from putting it between fist and ball and being an awkward as hell mega warrior on the field for us.......he IS a legend.
That word gets used too much. But not when were talking about Don Scott.
He hasn't said a public word about it, just wants it on the down low with his friends.
We seriously, as a Club, can't facilitate that????
Boy o boy.
Shitful times in humanity I say.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

not disagreeing with much of this, but a poll taken on the way in to camberwell town hall that night had the no vote about 5% higher than wht it actually was. It was in the 90s anyway but it reckon the percieved mistreatment of other club legends might have swung a few back.
of course this wasnt Dons fault he spoke brilliantly and I came away with the thoughts that we should not be divided and voting no to merging was the easy bit to relly saving the club. im sure most people got that point Too.
he really rammed this point home, his anger was towards melbourne and I think in true don scott style hed had some run ins with Ian Ridley.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Soooooooooo what.
Like, yeah, walk in to a room full of legends and greats and bean counters alike who were telling members that this might be the only way to really survive, to thrive in fact, to change our name and lose our colors and be swallowed whole by the woeful MFC, and he in 30 seconds pulled our club out of it's fait a complis malaise and started the march back up a long tough hill to where we are today.
Everyone who galvanized behind him are part of that journey, s**t, even if you didn't but are glad in you're heart SOMEONE was able to turn the boat around, all are able to share in that special moment.
But that weird f***er with flailing arms and bandaged head from putting it between fist and ball and being an awkward as hell mega warrior on the field for us.......he IS a legend.
He hasn't said a public word about it, just wants it on the down low with his friends.
Boy o boy.

Why do anything at all? Just send him a letter in the mail.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Soooooooooo what.
But that weird f***er with flailing arms and bandaged head from putting it between fist and ball and being an awkward as hell mega warrior on the field for us.......he IS a legend.
Boy o boy.

You sound like a typical, tree hugging lefty extremist, literally losing your collective s**t because some people would love to honour Don and thank him for being the huge catalyst that drove the club away from the merger.

Dons legend status and it’s associated celebration is a lot more than just about Don, it’s about celebrating the person that has help kept the HFC in so many families, it’s about celebrating a bloke who helped give purpose to a lot of people who may not otherwise have it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that, I respect Don for taking his stance but do I agree with it? No.To me he is acting like a senile, petulant old man who believes the world owes him something. Does it take away my love and admiration of him? No way.

Either way, presentation or not, he is a legend, one of the greatest Hawthorn people to ever live so fanfare or not, his impact will last lifetimes.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
You sound like a typical, tree hugging lefty extremist, literally losing your collective s**t because some people would love to honour Don and thank him for being the huge catalyst that drove the club away from the merger.

Dons legend status and it’s associated celebration is a lot more than just about Don, it’s about celebrating the person that has help kept the HFC in so many families, it’s about celebrating a bloke who helped give purpose to a lot of people who may not otherwise have it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that, I respect Don for taking his stance but do I agree with it? No.To me he is acting like a senile, petulant old man who believes the world owes him something. Does it take away my love and admiration of him? No way.

Either way, presentation or not, he is a legend, one of the greatest Hawthorn people to ever live so fanfare or not, his impact will last lifetimes.
This...and this!!

Maybe it’s time for Don to come to the realisation that the entire Planet has become corporate.

Yep, while Don helped to save this club, he’s never forgiven the club for the 1980 sacking of David Parkin, who was (and still is) Don’s closest and best friend.
Those who remember the 1981 season will recall the year-long sulk he went through.

And Don has never acknowledged the great success of Alan Jeans and Alastair Clarkson.

However, I will always be grateful for his part in saving our club in 1996.
And he was simply the greatest on-field capatain that ever was, not just for our club, but he was and is head and shoulders ahead of any club leader that ever was - on the field, and in big games

He was hugely responsible for those 3 premierships in the 1970s.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Doesn't even make sense.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why do anything at all? Just send him a letter in the mail.

Yep, that's what the Queen does. She doesn't insist on a 100 year old getting on a plane and go courtsey in front of the fountain.
I'm good with giving him the option, in a public forum we sponsor in a fashion the Club envisages, or send it in the mail and get the appropriate bust/nameplate whatever put up in our museum or however we choose to honor our legends at the new facility.
Holding it back is petulant.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, that's what the Queen does. She doesn't insist on a 100 year old getting on a plane and go courtsey in front of the fountain.
I'm good with giving him the option, in a public forum we sponsor in a fashion the Club envisages, or send it in the mail and get the appropriate bust/nameplate whatever put up in our museum or however we choose to honor our legends at the new facility.
Holding it back is petulant.

I know, right? Next thing you know and Kennett will insist Scott is chained to the bed post at night so he can't escape. It's outrageous.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know, right? Next thing you know and Kennett will insist Scott is chained to the bed post at night so he can't escape. It's outrageous.

Is that a hint you've seen Kennett's night time rituals? Not sure I'd want to see his mug over the top of the bed posts with me shackled to them. :tearsofjoy:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doesn't even make sense.

It clearly does, yet a person such as yourself refuses to engage in a legitimate conversation about the topic as the opinion differs from your own.

Throwing stones from glass houses and all that, a nice European proverb that describes you perfectly old son.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It clearly does, yet a person such as yourself refuses to engage in a legitimate conversation about the topic as the opinion differs from your own.

Throwing stones from glass houses and all that, a nice European proverb that describes you perfectly old son.

I don't understand Tige. You threw out some tropey political slight that you'd hope somehow sweeps me up in your thinking, but you're woefully wrong.
I guess I could engage this stupid line of discussion, but that would make me the dumber.
Maybe stick to footy huh?

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't be fooled into thinking Don doesn't love the club. The problem is his bloody mindless attitude of proving a point is getting in the way. Reckon he needs Parko to have a coffee and chat with him to try and get some sort of compromise happening as he is pretty much the only guy he would sit down and listen to. Think it will happen eventually just have to work out how to work around the issues.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Part of me is concerned about the lack of football people on our board, it doesn't really matter whilst Clarko is at the helm, but when he finally leaves we'll have to make an appointment. How much faith do we have in Richie Vandenberg?

I love the moments that we agree on something Tige, it gives me hope for the world.

Back