Prediction 2019 All Australian Team - Hurn, Yeo, Darling and Gov Named

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gill the Goose does it again. He is the Chairman and he would have rubber stamped this.

Its actually laughable that a back to back AA player, a current AFL team captain and current premiership captain is put as a deputy to Fremantles Fyfe.........who's club has missed finals for years and is falling apart at the seams after sacking their coach, CEO and has mutliple players requesting trades out.

Now can someone explain this to us?

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL got it wrong two years in a row in selecting the All Australian Captain. Fremantle is 13 on the ladder and is quite disfunctional this year. Fyfe is no doubt a good player but a good leader and a good player are not the same

Last edited:

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Fyfe over Hurn as Capt puzzled me too.

Now I know Fyfe is a great player but his recent media performances (about Lyon's sacking and players leaving) and the points raised by West World and EagleEgo (and probably others too) reflect my opinion of Fyfe as Capt. If the media stuff is an accurate reflection of his performances inside the club then ho hum for me.

Seems to be missing something.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
I am stunned that Shep missed out. He is considerably more deserving than Hurn IMO. Hurn had an excellent, almost Shep-like start to the season, but then got injured and still has not found his form since.
Shep has been elite at his position for the entire season.
I can only assume the selectors looked at stats rather than understanding the game. Hurn's stats of course look good because he gets so many "efficient" kicks as a result of hitting teammates from kick-ins.

Nothing at all against Hurn, who has had a solid season. But we're talking the best of the best here. Shep got robbed.

The captaincy thing … that had clearly already lost any semblance of meaning or logic by last season, so whatever to that.

With that rant aside, I'm really happy for Jack.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Pretty good team but some glaring isdues

1. Fyfe is not a captain of any decent quality. Failure, disunity and rudderless epitomise his legacy. Cripps, Hurn or Pendlebury would have been better.

2. Only one ruck needed because Brown should have been in instead of Hawkins.

3. Agree with Sheppard being ahead of Hurn

If Pendlebury had of been named on the wing, you could accept it. Way too many inside mids.

Glad that Ablett and Martin were not in just based on name.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Totally stole their name cards...
Ladies and gentlemen, I present the 2019 All Australians.
20190829_001408.jpg

Hey, at least Fyfe is a captain, which makes him a much better choice than Franklin.

He'll rate the individual awards higher than team success anyway, so he might as well enjoy it. Hurn didn't even bother showing up, only captaining us to a flag bothers him.

Hurn was a bit lucky to be there anyway IMO, Sheppard should have that spot.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I'm surprised McGovern got named, although I won't complain if we finally have someone who makes it purely on name

Gov is underrated around here. Hard to dominate like he did last year when teams specifically change their whole structure forward of centre to play around him. There’d be no player in the league who teams spent more time analysing in the off season- scores from turnovers are the current meta game of the AFL, and he’s the best in the business at intercept turnover.

Still leads or is near the top on most of the big stats for key defenders. He’s a beast.

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Reckon Shep got robbed...probably by his own team mate. Gov nowhere near as good as the last three years...

Part of me thinks the only reason they named Fyfe captain over Hurn is because it would have been downright embarrassing for the league if they gave it to Hurn & he wasn’t even there. Any official word on where he actually was?

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Reckon Shep got robbed...probably by his own team mate. Gov nowhere near as good as the last three years...

Part of me thinks the only reason they named Fyfe captain over Hurn is because it would have been downright embarrassing for the league if they gave it to Hurn & he wasn’t even there. Any official word on where he actually was?
No official word but he apparently hurt his hammy in the [REDACTED] so I would assume they just didn’t want to risk flying him over.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Tinfoil hat on

They knew exactly what they were doing by naming Fyfe and Hurn C and VC. Stirring up drama in WA, keep the teams at each others throats behind closed doors etc. Take a bit of heat out of Victoria for a while. Maybe Gils new Au-Pair is flying through Perth Airport this week....o_O /s

Nah who give a * really. So glad Bunga made the squad, deserved it. Great bloke, great clubman and great player. Also at least Fyfe is the captain of a club, so the choice at least has some integrity. Leagues better than their Franklin decision last year at least, that was just beyond absurd.

Back