2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Freo capt, Nat Fyfe - 33 Brownlow votes
WCE capt, Shannon Hurn - 3 Brownlow votes

The AA selectors got it right choosing Fyfe as AA captain, although I probably would've picked Dangerfield as VC ahead of Hurn.

There are two furphies trotted out every year in All Australian debates.

The first is that the leading goalkicker must be selected as the full forward. Bollocks! The AA selectors have shown they will pick the best forwards based on how they impact the play over the whole season. They won't be swayed by minute differences in goal stats.

The second furphy is that the premiership captain (or captain of the top team) is the automatic choice as AA captain. Bollocks! The AA selectors will rightfully lean towards the older superstars in the 27yo to 32yo age bracket, the champions who had a great season and who ooze leadership quality. The 17th or 18th man chosen in the AA team doesn't get the inside running to being named the AA captain just because he is a club captain.

Franklin was an inspired choice last year. Fyfe was the right choice this year. If Dangerfield has another awesome year in 2020, then he'll probably get picked as AA skipper next year, even though Selwood is the Geelong captain.

Last edited:

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
I don't even know what that means.
You saying he played 19 games, therefore should have been AA ?
I'm saying he played first half of season at AA standard. Then overtaken.
Dont fret.

He was AA first 19 games of the season not ‘half’. Not hard to comprehend but you’ve already proven you don’t know anything anyway with your rubbish off the cuff first comment with no basis.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Yeah nahh. I have a pretty good idea.
No need to go full cheerleader.
BnF type season, not AA.
Similar to Cunnington. Excellent early-mid season but far from AA standard second half.
Its unfortunate you arnt happy. Truly it is.

Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The stiff team would give the main team a great run

Haynes Blicavs saad
Sheppard Tarrant Lloyd
B hill Taranto mcluggage
Zorko (c) lynch Whitfield
Ablett Brown dusty
Goldstein treloar Dunkley
Boak Prestia Crisp gaff

Emergency
Duncan shuey r Marshall Oliver zerrett billings

Boak was the stiffest of any player when looking at the full season he had.

100% agree.

Just not sure who you take out to put him in there, that is the difficult part

more a factual observation than a whinge
Brayshaw finished 3rd last year and wasnt in the AA squad.

Using the umpires votes as an AA argument is weak, but i feel you already knew that

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Based on 2019 performances I think it was the weakest AA backline i have seen in years (other than Grimes). I think McGovern got in on reputation. I doubt Sicily was ever considered seriously, despite dominant performances (thus Brownlow votes). I think Stewart's season was patchy. Andrews season in the years to come should be much better. There just weren't many stand outs this year.

Based on 2019 performances I think it was the weakest AA backline i have seen in years (other than Grimes). I think McGovern got in on reputation. I doubt Sicily was ever considered seriously, despite dominant performances (thus Brownlow votes). I think Stewart's season was patchy. Andrews season in the years to come should be much better. There just weren't many stand outs this year.

Funnily enough you won't struggle to find Eagles supporters agreeing with you there. Most of us had Sheppard ahead of McGovern if you had to pick an Eagles defender this year.

Brayshaw finished 3rd last year and wasnt in the AA squad.

Using the umpires votes as an AA argument is weak, but i feel you already knew that

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Yeah, this. Also found it puzzling some are citing Brownlow votes as a justification, especially considering how the same people slam the Brownlow for being out of touch and too midfield-centric.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You are a classic, comedy of the highest order....
Porkins hasn't kicked a goal for 3 weeks.
And you still have faith in B Scott.....
Forget about 2022, sign him up till 2030..
Youve been telling the world this Geelong team will win the flag every year for the past 9 as well, hilarious......
Enjoy straight sets you clown.....
. Post aged well

Back