2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Jeremy McGovern has to have a spot. He's so much better than the alternatives. Moore is a good player, but no. I get your uskngfirm this year it reputatiin, but he is his usual superb self.

I guess you could argue Laird on current form, but in that case I'd argue Whitfield gets in well before Daniel, who I do rate.
Is Whitfield playing wing/outside mid or half back though?

Seems to be getting alot of the footy between the arcs from what I've seen of him

Plenty of players will find their way into the rolling, just trying to look at form players currently though

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Is Whitfield playing wing/outside mid or half back though?

Seems to be getting alot of the footy between the arcs from what I've seen of him

Plenty of players will find their way into the rolling, just trying to look at form players currently though
He is playing predominantly wing since Williams returned. They do swap and he does spend time at half back. In the modern game I think spending some game time in a position is enough to be considered there for the AA team, I think.

I get what your doing and generally I like your team, Ijust queried a couple of selections.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stats, lol, think you'll find Bont is right among the top of the "stats" pile to start the season along with influence anyway

I could've been a vanilla flog and chucked Laird in Daniels spot, but Daniel has won both games so far and is giving us a heap of run and drive in his new half back spot and I'd imagine would be right up there for metres gained to start the year

Doubt you've even watched us this year anyway
Bont near the top of the stats? Yeah don't think so.

He's averaging 27 disposals (6 turnovers) at a horrid 63% efficiency.

Compare that to other mids that you have left out, Neale for example: 36 disposals at 82%.

As for Daniel, there are a few defenders who have been better as well, Whitfield for example who beats him in just about every stat across the board. Daniel is averaging 411 metres gained which isn't as great as you make out to be and is nowhere near the leaders of that stat, in fact it doesn't even place him in the top 50.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Compare that to other mids that you have left out, Neale for example: 36 disposals at 82%.

As for Daniel, there are a few defenders who have been better as well, Whitfield for example who beats him in just about every stat across the board. Daniel is averaging 411 metres gained which isn't as great as you make out to be and is nowhere near the leaders of that stat, in fact it doesn't even place him in the top 50.
This is why stats are largely irrelevant in these debates anyway. Accumulators don't automatically earn selection since many of them don't do enough damage to the other side. Hence why Fyfe was seen as the better midfielder out of him and Neale while at Freo, even though Neale averaged more disposals

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Neale is my starting rover FFS...

Lycett Fyfe Neale....o_O

Go and melt elsewhere Lolololololololol

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is why stats are largely irrelevant in these debates anyway. Accumulators don't automatically earn selection since many of them don't do enough damage to the other side. Hence why Fyfe was seen as the better midfielder out of him and Neale while at Freo, even though Neale averaged more disposals
It's not just disposals though. Clearances, contested possessions, score improvements, goals, goal assists, disposal efficiency etc. can all be used to gauge how damaging a player is. Bont doesn't really stand out in any of those areas.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Okay my bad, didn't see him there. My point still stands that the Bont hasn't been that great.
Aside from the third quarter against Hawthorn where most of our team were quiet, Bont has been very good

BOG against Sydney and did enough for three quarters on Sunday to hold his spot imo

Had Coniglio not s**t the bed on Saturday he might've been in that spot instead, Sloane and Sheed are there abouts too who could very well find their way in.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Okay my bad, didn't see him there. My point still stands that the Bont hasn't been that great.
Bont was absolutely outstanding round 1, getting the full 10 coaches votes. Will almost certainly be getting the 3 Brownlow votes too.

Round 2 he made a few more mistakes, but still earned 5 more votes and is currently sitting in 2nd place.

To say he hasn't been "that great" isn't really accurate. He hasn't been perfect, but he's still been among the best players in the competition so far this year. This is why stats are so misleading too - he has more clangers/turnovers because he is trusted with the more difficult and high risk moves (like inside 50 entries) meaning he is going to end up making more mistakes. It's like how ball magnets often end up with more free kicks against, since they happen to be more involved in the contested footy (so are more prone to holding the ball, high tackles, etc.)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not just disposals though. Clearances, contested possessions, score improvements, goals, goal assists, disposal efficiency etc. can all be used to gauge how damaging a player is. Bont doesn't really stand out in any of those areas.
But again, this is why stats don't paint the full picture. I don't think anyone would argue that Bont isn't among the best players in the competition, yet he doesn't exactly stand out in individual statistics. It's the creative usage of the ball that has him rated so highly

He is playing predominantly wing since Williams returned. They do swap and he does spend time at half back. In the modern game I think spending some game time in a position is enough to be considered there for the AA team, I think.
Any mid that even jogs past the 50m arc is eligible for a HFF spot going by past years.
My supercoach team sincerely hopes both players continue their form.

Alex Sexton could be a smoky this year. 8.5 after 2 rounds
Myself an a couple of others were hoping the Bulldogs make him a huge offer as a FA at the end of the year, great for the Suns he signed a 4 year deal.
Genuine goal sense and one of the more underrated players in the comp.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Whitfield has to be in the team so far. 700 metres gained per game is massive. He has used it really well too.
He had nearly 600m gained in the Eagles game in just the first half alone. Was genuinely looking like carrying that game on his back solo, until the Eagles really took over in the 2nd half

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I see Darcy Moore has once again been named in team of the week. He has been good I agree but top two tall defenders both weeks? I'm probably being a bit 'tin foil' here but the noise in the media for this bloke seems a bit ahead of performance at this point.
Darcy Moore has deserved every bit of attention he's received. He's been tremendous so far.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
I see Darcy Moore has once again been named in team of the week. He has been good I agree but top two tall defenders both weeks? I'm probably being a bit 'tin foil' here but the noise in the media for this bloke seems a bit ahead of performance at this point.
He's earned it both weeks in my opinion. Has played two fantastic games thus far for the Pies.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I can’t speak for other key defenders in the league, but Moore was probably our best player(Definitely top 3) against Geelong, and against Richmond he played even better.

I think he has that Alex Rance factor about him when you can clearly see he’s busting his ass

SirBont

All Australian
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I Struggle to see how people rate neville jetta I believe his massively over rated

Back