2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

From Essendon

Saad - would be close to our top 3 best performed players this year. Should be in calculations for a small defender position.

Michael Hurley - doesn’t do the highlights that others do but gets the job done most weeks.

Dyson Heppel - fantastic, probably not in the 40 but not far off it imho

Jake Stringer has been fantastic also. Not at the level of the guys he’d be competing against (DeGoey, Walters etc) but he’s another who has been brilliant this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saad will make squad IMO. The rest are good but won't be in contention.

From memory, Heppell started the year pretty slowly/crap.

Why? Has had 3 goals kicked on him in the past 6 weeks and just kept the future Coleman medalist to 9 touches and 1 goal.
Sh*t like this is dumb. Players are constantly rolling off players and playing against other players. There is no way you would be able to know that. You’re just making up stats. No way he makes it

Sh*t like this is dumb. Players are constantly rolling off players and playing against other players. There is no way you would be able to know that. You’re just making up stats. No way he makes it

They mentioned it in the broadcast before the game, that he had only had 2 goals kicked on his in the past 5 weeks. Cameron only kicked one on him yesterday. I didn't claim to be making up those stats, I used ones provided by the experts.

First attempt, probably missed someone, Tarrant vs Blicavs was the one I thought most about and I'd be happy with either of them at FB, but went with Blicavs tbh because of Geelong's record.

Have at it:

Dane Rampe - Mark Blicavs - Tom Stewart
Shannon Hurn - Harris Andrews - Luke Ryan
Mitch Duncan - Nat Fyfe - Ricky Henderson
Michael Walters - Jeremy Cameron - Patrick Dangerfield
Jordan De Goey - Tom Hawkins - Gary Ablett
Max Gawn - Patrick Cripps - Tim Kelly

Brodie Grundy - Lachie Neale - Ben Cunnington - Stephen Coniglio

EDIT: forgot Dangerfield. He came in and Travis Boak missed out unluckily.

First attempt, probably missed someone, Tarrant vs Blicavs was the one I thought most about and I'd be happy with either of them at FB, but went with Blicavs tbh because of Geelong's record.

Have at it:

Youve missed Bachar Houli

Have at it:

Boak out, what are you smoking

Also would have Eddie over Papley right now.
I feel like Papley has been more consistent and just plain better overall. Eddie's goal tally is a bit deceptive. He hasn't really had too many good games this year, and has gotten on the end of a fair few "cheapies" to pad out his numbers. Hasn't had nearly the overall consistency or influence of his best years.

If you're looking at the Champion Data Player Ranking Score (a decent catch-all statistical indicator of overall impact and influence), this is shaping as Betts' worst season since he was a 19/20 year old in 2006:

View attachment 693521
I've always been a big fan of Eddie Betts, even back to his Carlton days when most people gave him shiit and called him a squib.

However, this year he isn't playing at his former AA level. He has kicked a stack of goals in junk time. He has mostly been invisible for long periods when the game is up for grabs.

His biggest outing this year was his 6 goal haul at home vs the struggling Suns. The Crows had already sewn up the game and led 5.6.36 to 1.3.9 when Eddie kicked his first just before halftime. 4 of his 6 goals came in the last 35 minutes of the match after the Crows led 11.9.75 to 3.8.26.

This is the ONLY game this season when he has a received a vote from the coaches!

By my estimate, Betts has kicked another 7 junk time goals this season - games where only managed 2 for the match and did virtually nothing for the preceding 90 minutes.

The Coleman Medallist does not automatically get chosen for the AA team. Selectors pick the best key forwards. Likewise the small forward who kicks the most goals does not automatically get chosen. (e.g. Lindsay Thomas). Selectors pick the best small forwards.

Last edited:
West Coast Eagles saying -you cant control what People say and you dont worry about what you cant control.
The all Australianbteam is subjective and opinion and not much discussed in Eagle land.The general concensus is its nice to be recognised though.
Luke Ryan averages 22.2 possessions a game Brad Sheppard averages 19.7.Sheppard well ahead on marks Luke .Ryan well ahead on clangers and turnovers.Luke Ryan in all Australian discussion .Sheppard not.Just the price you pay for being an efficent player in an efficent backline I suppose.

Have at it:

Fair effort. I wouldn't have Blicavs though. As part of Geelong's defensive unit, he's not bad but as a stand alone, one out backman I'm not such a big fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been a big fan of Eddie Betts, even back to his Carlton days when most people gave him shiit and called him a squib.

However, this year he isn't playing at his former AA level. He has kicked a stack of goals in junk time. He has mostly been invisible for long periods when the game is up for grabs.

His biggest outing this year was his 6 goal haul at home vs the struggling Suns. The Crows had already sewn up the game and led 5.6.36 to 1.3.9 when Eddie kicked his first just before halftime. 4 of his 6 goals came in the last 35 minutes of the match after the Crows led 11.9.75 to 3.8.26.

This is the ONLY game this season when he has a received a vote from the coaches!

By my estimate, Betts has kicked another 7 junk time goals this season - games where only managed 2 for the match and did virtually nothing for the preceding 90 minutes.

The Coleman Medallist does not automatically get chosen for the AA team. Selectors pick the best key forwards. Likewise the small forward who kicks the most goals does not automatically get chosen. (e.g. Lindsay Thomas). Selectors pick the best small forwards.
I can see selectors putting Walters in the forward pocket so they can add someone like Boak on the half forward line. That way they can justify adding an extra midfielder.

Eddie's goal tally is a bit deceptive. He hasn't really had too many good games this year, and has gotten on the end of a fair few "cheapies" to pad out his numbers. Hasn't had nearly the overall consistency or influence of his best years.

doesn't surprise me. Eddie is an excellent down hill skiier who kicks a freakish goal every couple of games. Rarely sighted when his team isn't winning.

His stats are pretty comparible to Brandon Matera https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=9&type=A&pid1=1547&pid2=3616&fid1=S&fid2=S who definately isn't in AA form.

West Coast Eagles saying -you cant control what People say and you dont worry about what you cant control.
The all Australianbteam is subjective and opinion and not much discussed in Eagle land.The general concensus is its nice to be recognised though.
Luke Ryan averages 22.2 possessions a game Brad Sheppard averages 19.7.Sheppard well ahead on marks Luke .Ryan well ahead on clangers and turnovers.Luke Ryan in all Australian discussion .Sheppard not.Just the price you pay for being an efficent player in an efficent backline I suppose.
But Sheppards marks are mainly all uncontested while Luke Ryan intercepts and has more contested ones. Similar to his disposal, it's just zero pressure kicking in the backline with Sheppard averaging only 3 contested possessions of his 18, compared to 7 from 22 for Ryan.

More possessions means more clangers and turnovers. That said, Luke Ryan is at 84% kicking efficiency compared to Sheppard 81% and a lot of those are under pressure / contested.

Ryan is well ahead, even without dying his hair.

Has Gaz been better than Sonny?

I’d be lying if I said I’ve watched enough of him to make a decent comparison - Fremantle would genuinely be the side I have watched least this season.

I think what I’ve seen of Ablett - which is every match - is easily AA standard but that doesn’t mean he’s been better than Walters.

I just don’t really see how that statistical comparison makes a case for one player over the other.

Ryan well ahead on clangers and turnovers.
Also ahead on kicks, handballs, goals, tackles, inside 50s, Contested Possessions (7.3 - 3.9), Effective Disposals, Disposal Efficiency, Contested Marks, clearances, Rebound 50s, one percenters, Stoppage clearances, score involvements, Meters Gained (424 - 326) and Intercepts (9.3 - 5.1)

ouch

Just the price you pay for being an efficient player in the number 2 backline in the comp I suppose.

Last edited:
I’d be lying if I said I’ve watched enough of him to make a decent comparison - Fremantle would genuinely be the side I have watched least this season.

I think what I’ve seen of Ablett - which is every match - is easily AA standard but that doesn’t mean he’s been better than Walters.

I just don’t really see how that statistical comparison makes a case for one player over the other.
I'd have them both in.

Fair call.

The bolded is probably how everyone sees it. Some may have seen alot of both players this season though.

Stats tell about 5.3112% of the story when making player comparisons and I don't take to much notice of them ... well except when it's 25n6 😉

I said after that being ahead on goals, clearances, possessions is a good indicator. The whole point is that it’s slim difference, but that he’s a little bit ahead in the stats that matter that could argue he’s in before GAJ.

that's an embarrassing post, Ryan's genuinely ahead of Sheppard in just about every meaningful statistic for the role he plays. Monsters him in intercepts 9.3 (1st in the league btw) to 5.1 and contested ball 7.3 to 3.9 including groun ball 5.6 to 2.8. Ryan, who kicks it more, also has an 84.6% kick efficiency compared to Sheppard's 80.6% who gets significantly more uncontested footy handed to him from better players like Hurn and McGovern. As for marks Ryan takes more than double as many contested and leads intercept marks 31 to 18 for the season. What's more interesting is that despite all this easy ball Sheppard gets chipped around in defense, the fact that Ryan has played deeper than Sheppard this year and the fact that fremantle has scored less than west coast Ryan has actually more than double the score launches at 18 to 8.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=19&type=A&pid1=6389&pid2=3320&fid1=S&fid2=S

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I998659,CD_I281080&comparisonTab=h2h

Got to really stretch the the truth to convince people that Sheppard is a better player than Ryan because he has the better turnover numbers at 4.2 to 4.6. Even though he has less disposals including less kicks at lower efficiency, wins less of his own ball (ground and air) and results in less scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back