Remove this Banner Ad

B: Grimes - Andrews - Haynes
HB: Williams - McGovern - Sicily
C: Macrae - Neale - Whitfield
HF: Walters - J.Cameron - Ablett
F: C.Cameron - Hawkins - Darling/Lynch
R: Grundy - Cripps - Neale
I: Dangerfield - Martin - Dunkley - T.Kelly

Bont been better than both macrae and dunkley and is currently leading coaches votes. He is a certainty.

Yes.

It's the games where he plays the quasi-KPD role that see him drop back in AA contention. If he had been deployed all year as a rebounding defender, with less accountability, then I think that lethal boot of his would probably have seen him make AA. He still might, but I doubt it.

So you choose 3 tall forwards, 3 small forwards (of whom at least 1 is actually a midfielder shoe-horned in to a pocket role), but how do you break down the defenders?

BTW: he doesnt just rebound. He takes tall opponents, plus intercepts, plus rebounds. Surely ideal for HBF ? And very similar to Gov, but in a way Sicily's role is more important because he is the guy who is clearing defensive 50 and deciding how the attack will be structured.

Neither Bont or Fyfe in the 22 (I think most have them in the starting 18)...although you do have Neale in twice!

Dunkley has been very good but there is no way he gets picked ahead of Bontempelli

Dunkley isn't AA very good engine room player but his ball use is not AA quality. Bont is a lock, Macrae is 50/50 whether the selection team will go that way.

So you choose 3 tall forwards, 3 small forwards (of whom at least 1 is actually a midfielder shoe-horned in to a pocket role), but how do you break down the defenders?

BTW: he doesnt just rebound. He takes tall opponents, plus intercepts, plus rebounds. Surely ideal for HBF ? And very similar to Gov, but in a way Sicily's role is more important because he is the guy who is clearing defensive 50 and deciding how the attack will be structured.
Rightly or wrongly, the jack of all trades role in the backline often goes unrecognised (e.g. Brad Sheppard).

Rightly or wrongly, the jack of all trades role in the backline often goes unrecognised (e.g. Brad Sheppard).

Oh there are heaps of roles which go un-noticed. It took Brad Hill moving to Freo for people to see how damaging he is. He is doing the same thing, but is no longer in the shadow of Isaac Smith.

Adelaide never appreciated Ricky Henderson either.

And yes, Sheppard placing himself in the right spot all the time basically allows Gov to pick where he wants to then set up to intercept.

When teams click everything looks so smooth, but we tend to only focus on the guy who ends the run of plays with the goal. Or the guy who starts it with the defensive mark.

Oh there are heaps of roles which go un-noticed. It took Brad Hill moving to Freo for people to see how damaging he is. He is doing the same thing, but is no longer in the shadow of Isaac Smith.

Adelaide never appreciated Ricky Henderson either.

And yes, Sheppard placing himself in the right spot all the time basically allows Gov to pick where he wants to then set up to intercept.

When teams click everything looks so smooth, but we tend to only focus on the guy who ends the run of plays with the goal. Or the guy who starts it with the defensive mark.
Rubbish, he is averaging close to 50% more possessions at Freo. He is a significantly better player than he was at Hawthorn.

Rubbish, he is averaging close to 50% more possessions at Freo. He is a significantly better player than he was at Hawthorn.

And kicking less goals than his 2nd year at Hawthorn.

His role has always had the accumulation of possessions being secondary. Its about getting in to the right spot to either get the ball inside 50, or to be the one to kick the goals. And doing it by running so hard that his opponents simply drop off him.

BTW: maybe 20% more. Not 50% more.

Dunkley isn't AA very good engine room player but his ball use is not AA quality. Bont is a lock, Macrae is 50/50 whether the selection team will go that way.
I don't think Dunkley makes it because he didn't play midfield for the first 6 rounds, not because of his quality of ball use.

He's a better user than Cripps (although both below average) yet no one would question his inclusion. I think Dunks is a serious chance at the squad this year, and would have been alongside Charlie Cameron and Brodie Grundy as the first picked for the team if he played the full season in the guts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

62 coaches votes(equal 12th), and he only polled his first vote in round 7, because he was not playing midfield in the first 6 rounds. Bont and Macrae have also combined for 157, so they will have taken votes off him too. Since playing majority midfield minutes, he has dominated and I'd say his form rivals almost any other mid since then. Absolutely AA material.

And kicking less goals than his 2nd year at Hawthorn.

His role has always had the accumulation of possessions being secondary. Its about getting in to the right spot to either get the ball inside 50, or to be the one to kick the goals. And doing it by running so hard that his opponents simply drop off him.

BTW: maybe 20% more. Not 50% more.
I was off, the stats I must have seen were career average over Hawthorn. 25% increase in possessions as well as better in almost every statistical category.

Attachments

• E5BB36D0-D208-4229-A24E-FD339D788CDB.png
    E5BB36D0-D208-4229-A24E-FD339D788CDB.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 40
Can potentially play a wing role I suppose, used to be more outside based. There are rarely genuine wingers in the AA team.
doesn't really make sense to me why they would give macrae AA honours for being, lets say, 10th best inside mid in the comp, over brad hill for being the best winger in the comp.

Jack Macrae has had 30+ disposals in 32 of his past 40 games. He hasn't had less than 20 touches in a game since 2015 (83 games). He hasn't won a B&F either(robbed last year). Deserves some recognition, I hope he gets selected for AA this year.

His impact per possession would be amongst the lowest in the comp.

He has more goal assists than any other midfielder in the comp. And he plays in a team that ranks 16th for accuracy on goal.

112th in the comp for metres gained despite 33 disposals a game (#2 in the comp).

That's horrific. Watching him backs it up. Most of his possessions go sideways or backwards. Little impact.

Great dream team player but he needs a proper coach to sort out his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back