2019 Asian Champions League

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Victory just can't get it together in the ACL, shame because they have the talent.

Muscat is just stubbin campaigner when it comes to the ACL he just wont adjust to the patient structural defend counter style needed to advance in the ACL. I bet if poppa was coaching us with the talent we have it'll be a different story.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
With Sydney FC losing last night both Melbourne and Sydney can't pass the group stages now.
poor poor showing by the Aussie clubs the past four campaigns has shows how far behind we have gone to the rest of the powerful Asian countries.

I think there needs to come a point where we need to decide as a league/football nation whether we treat this competition with importance or a nuisance which is just in the way.

tbh I think the whole competition needs a restructure too which will go a long way in decided whether we care for it or not. The UCL style groups stages to me hasn't captured the regions interest as much as it should be. So if it stays that way can't see getting the relevance it deserves.

The Idea of going back to a straight two legged knockout format would probably be more exciting but probably will capture less interest especially once our teams go out in say the first or second rounds.

The other idea that was floating around was the ACL hold the group stages in a neutral country over two weeks/three weeks than revert back to the normal two legged knock phase. Sounds very innovative and intriguing, At first I though it was a bad idea but thinking about I feel it could work. The only problem is that it will disrupt domestic competitions that leagues need to work around. I think it could be a winner. Than again would we care either way.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Interesting thread on twitter by Paul Williams Football writer for the Asian Game.
Just shows how far we've fallen in such little time, concerning.

By those figure we sure deserve to lose an automatic spot, I'm actually surprise we haven't lost one completely considering our drop.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Does anybody know what has happened to all our talented Croatian heritage players . They were so good in the 90's and 2000's, but not so good recently.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Does anybody know what has happened to all our talented Croatian heritage players . They were so good in the 90's and 2000's, but not so good recently.

It’s all generational, those second generation Croats haven’t had the some influence on the game (and possibly the talent) as the first generation did with their parents who come straight from Europe and brought with them that European football culture and passion. It’s the some with the Italians, Serbs and the Greeks. Unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you look at it the current generation of these descendants have well and truly intergraded with the Australia culture and lifestyle. They don’t have the some influence of sphere from their respected communities, the passion or willingness to continue that some culture their grand parents or great grand parents brought with them. The landscape has changed. A lot of the current European families also don’t have the money that is required to progress young talented kids. That’s the games fault in this country because it’s funded from the bottom up, a discussion for another thread at another time through.

Last edited:
Back