2019 ASIAN CUP THREAD-First Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the blink of an eye, Japan 2-1 up. Unsurprisingly, some of the keeping and defending this tournament has been beyond Conference standard. A fair few of the teams have some handy playmakers (especially SEA teams) but can't defend for s**t.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
In the blink of an eye, Japan 2-1 up. Unsurprisingly, some of the keeping and defending this tournament has been beyond Conference standard. A fair few of the teams have some handy playmakers (especially SEA teams) but can't defend for s**t.
Jordan did.

Shows you how crucial finishing is.

Thailand have also sacked their coach after the India loss. Has that ever happened mid-tournament before? The closest I can remember is Lopetegui who took the RM job and was sacked days before the WC but I can't remember any mid-tournament.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With 35 mins to play they were offering Japan at $1.98
5 mins later thank you very much
They were 1.95 at half time. I laid off my $10 prematch bet on the turkmenis @ 60.

By the way, I'm only playing with the money made by a cheeky bet against the Aussies. Been backing the minnows every match since.

Hasn't quite worked out, but I have managed to dream for a few minutes during several matches.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
They were 1.95 at half time. I laid off my $10 prematch bet on the turkmenis @ 60.

By the way, I'm only playing with the money made by a cheeky bet against the Aussies. Been backing the minnows every match since.

Hasn't quite worked out, but I have managed to dream for a few minutes during several matches.

Worth a go, especially early days in these types of tournaments when there are a quiet a few unknown teams of similar quality. Any result is possible.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Uzbekistan had 40% possession, only 6 shots to Oman's 18, and finished the match a man down. They won 2-1

Thailand with the classic new manager win with a 1-0 win over Bahrain.

Some of the games have been way better than I thought they would be.
Yep, I've been enjoying it. The quality is obviously not at European standards but most teams have been playing with attacking intent which is great to see. The Socceroos have probably been the worst team to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
India vs UAE up next. If the UAE win it will be the last non-Socceroos match I watch for the tournament.

I can only get into games if I have at least a few dollars on them, and I am putting my entire bank on India tonight.

For the life of me I cannot understand the odds on this match. India at $9?

[Gambling is a long-term losing proposition, only bet what you can afford to lose, because you will]

I agree with earlier comments about the quality of the tournament so far. Better than I expected.

The refereeing has also been surprisingly good (although there have been one or two shockers).

As a bonus, Cooper Cronk's wife is next-level beautiful. And good at her job beyond being pretty.

I don't know how Fox can justify paying three people plus a production crew to stay up this late.

How many viewers are tuned in around Australia right now? Low five figures?

I'm not complaining. Enjoying the coverage.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
India looking good so far, but have blown three golden chances in front of goal.

A header unchecked over the bar

An open run into goal saved by the keeper

Then another header unchecked, also saved by the keeper

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And then a strange defensive mixup between two Indians leads to a UAE goal just before half time.

A moment later, another Indian long-ball leads to yet another shot on goal, this one beating the keeper but missing the left post by four inches.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Assuming Australia do not lose to Syria:

Japan d. Uzbekistan --> R16: Australia v Uzbekistan

Otherwise --> R16: Australia v Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.