2019 Assistant Coaches Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Westhoff and Watts for wing. Tallest wingmen in the league.

With the 6-6-6 rule, one starts at CHB corner of the square, the other one at the CHF corner of the square at bounce down, and then they drift into wing back and wing forward roles.

Now that’s a novel idea :)

I'm certain he's going to be a senior coach. Whether it's here or elsewhere.

My bet is it'll be right here.

I want it to be here but odds are not looking good. If we have a good 2019, St Kilda or some similar club will snap him up as senior while we have Ken with 2 years left to run.

That interview was top shelf. Gave me a lot of confidence in our midfield.

I want it to be here but odds are not looking good. If we have a good 2019, St Kilda or some similar club will snap him up as senior while we have Ken with 2 years left to run.

Don't be too sure .. is he going to leave Port Adelaide with his son Taj playing for Port in a few years .. :D

Don't be too sure .. is he going to leave Port Adelaide with his son Taj playing for Port in a few years .. :D

True. We could fluke it. Fingers crossed taj carries on and becomes AFL quality.

I agree he has head coach

He has head coach qualities no doubt but at port he isnt going to get the national attention especially if we are not travelling well. Clubs tend to look at succesful clubs assistants.a Guy like caracella is already regarded as next in line coach. I wouldnt worry about him being poached from us for at least 2 years by then KT may well be sitting next to him at a press conference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a great back story Schofield is becoming. Firstly there is the coaching side and second there is his son. I can't wait for little Meady to come on board as well

Ken will be like "uhhdurrrrrrr forward preshuhhhh" and Schofield and Monty will be like "shut the * up, Ken." and continue their conversation about kicking winning scores transitioning from defence through the midfield.

As far as Jarrod's comments are concerned, he nailed one aspect of our playbook for last year. We were predictable and easy to stop. Hinkley came from the Geelong game-plan which was move the ball forward at all cost but put relentless pressure on the opposition. Too many teams train for this style of play. We have set mids, set defenders and set forwards. The idea of expanding the midfield makes us much better at attacking from our back half.

The other thing is training standards. I think we try to bring the pressure but pressure can can be sacrificed for skills. Jarrod came from the Williams, Clarkson, Bailey and Walsh era. There was always a high attention to detail on how we execute the game-plan from these coaches. It was nice to hear that Schofield expected that when the senior players came to training the standards were meant to increase. This is an indictment on whoever was in charge of the midfield before. But I have to hand it to Hinkley. I don't think that he is too proud not to change and take on new advice. I believe he loves tactics and is willing to rip up the play-book and start again.

Things to look forward to. Seeing Bonner, Johnson or Garner being thrown on a wing to play that Peter Burgoyne sweeper role. Better rebound from defense. Better handball skills since the essence of quick ball movement is hand speed and not just foot speed and spread. Less reliance on too few players such as Wines, Ebert, Boak and Powell Pepper. It is too easy to shut our team down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back