2019 Assistant Coaches Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as Jarrod's comments are concerned, he nailed one aspect of our playbook for last year. We were predictable and easy to stop. Hinkley came from the Geelong game-plan which was move the ball forward at all cost but put relentless pressure on the opposition. Too many teams train for this style of play. We have set mids, set defenders and set forwards. The idea of expanding the midfield makes us much better at attacking from our back half.

The other thing is training standards. I think we try to bring the pressure but pressure can can be sacrificed for skills. Jarrod came from the Williams, Clarkson, Bailey and Walsh era. There was always a high attention to detail on how we execute the game-plan from these coaches. It was nice to hear that Schofield expected that when the senior players came to training the standards were meant to increase. This is an indictment on whoever was in charge of the midfield before. But I have to hand it to Hinkley. I don't think that he is too proud not to change and take on new advice. I believe he loves tactics and is willing to rip up the play-book and start again.

Things to look forward to. Seeing Bonner, Johnson or Garner being thrown on a wing to play that Peter Burgoyne sweeper role. Better rebound from defense. Better handball skills since the essence of quick ball movement is hand speed and not just foot speed and spread. Less reliance on too few players such as Wines, Ebert, Boak and Powell Pepper. It is too easy to shut our team down.

Training standards is a big thing for mine. It's work, you're a professional. When you are out on the track, you work. Too often I see gaggles of players having a chat, standing around etc.

Some of that comes from the drill setups which require players to sort of wait in line. Very old school in my opinion, they should always be in motion. Don't so much as give them time to slack off. If they can't focus for a 1 hour main training session or a 1 hour weights session from start to finish, how do they expect them to focus for a two hour game. A core issue with our players, and clearly learned behaviour.

Additionally, i'm told that our list has historically not enjoyed the weights room and their attitude to it is abysmal. This has to change. This is where we need to draft some committed fiends to help correct and compensate.

As Schofield said in his presser, if you are an AFL footballer and you are not constantly trying to improve yourself - you are in the wrong job.

There is a reason our kicking hasn't improved. Our guys expect the burden to be completely shouldered by the clubs system. They never go away themselves and work on their shortcomings. The minute they leave the club for the day, their kicking issues don't exist. They are not doing enough to improve themselves, particularly in the off-season. I'd love for them to spend some time working on their deficiencies themselves rather than accepting a skills session here and there as the catch all. If you know your disposal needs work, ******* work on it. You don't need the clubs guidance to do that.

Oh and the high performance guys with their obsessive limitations on the number of a kicks a player can take during training needs to be lifted, or modified. A lot. There is absolutely no point keeping a list ultra healthy if they can't ******* kick.

My two main takeaways from Schofield’s interview were that I have so much confidence in him and everything he says. I haven’t felt that way about a Port Adelaide coach since 2014.

Secondly, Taj will be playing at WWT with Mead and Burgoyne. The hype around this kid is insane for someone 2 years away from being drafted that hasn’t yet played a game in the state. It’s going to be a crazy couple of years for him.

Training standards is a big thing for mine. It's work, you're a professional. When you are out on the track, you work. Too often I see gaggles of players having a chat, standing around etc.

Some of that comes from the drill setups which require players to sort of wait in line. Very old school in my opinion, they should always be in motion. Don't so much as give them time to slack off. If they can't focus for a 1 hour main training session or a 1 hour weights session from start to finish, how do they expect them to focus for a two hour game. A core issue with our players, and clearly learned behaviour.

Additionally, i'm told that our list has historically not enjoyed the weights room and their attitude to it is abysmal. This has to change. This is where we need to draft some committed fiends to help correct and compensate.

As Schofield said in his presser, if you are an AFL footballer and you are not constantly trying to improve yourself - you are in the wrong job.

There is a reason our kicking hasn't improved. Our guys expect the burden to be completely shouldered by the clubs system. They never go away themselves and work on their shortcomings. The minute they leave the club for the day, their kicking issues don't exist. They are not doing enough to improve themselves, particularly in the off-season. I'd love for them to spend some time working on their deficiencies themselves rather than accepting a skills session here and there as the catch all. If you know your disposal needs work, ******* work on it. You don't need the clubs guidance to do that.

Oh and the high performance guys with their obsessive limitations on the number of a kicks a player can take during training needs to be lifted, or modified. A lot. There is absolutely no point keeping a list ultra healthy if they can't ******* kick.
Yes I saw a lot of sloppiness in the weights room which the club was happy to post. Made me think they were going through a session and ticking boxes rather than owning the session and realizing that what they do in the weights room translates on the field by making skills easier to perform. Any athlete that doesn't see this connection and understand it is ill informed.

Training standards at this level should be a ******* given?
I believe that the players give it their all but putting your focus on intensity, positioning and cohesion may be professional on the surface, but too much attention in the wrong areas is what brings the club undone. The players may not realize that their technique can fall apart while under duress. Practicing handball drills slower and focusing on basics might be needed while overdoing it might lower the intensity. That is where a good midfield coach comes in. They know when to take things back a peg and speed it up again. It actually requires subjective assessment and intuition.

It requires a coach to really know the capabilities of their squad, and how to individualize each session on the go. What you planned in your head might change on the fly. Lazy coaches have a lesson plan and follow it like a script. Innovative coaches are always changing and keeping the players on their toes which teaches the players to be adaptive on the field. Training sessions become more enjoyable, less predictable and

Westhoff and Watts for wing. Tallest wingmen in the league.

With the 6-6-6 rule, one starts at CHB corner of the square, the other one at the CHF corner of the square at bounce down, and then they drift into wing back and wing forward roles.
We need to get our best ball-users where they can do the most damage, rather than in defensive roles.
The hardest kick in footy is that last kick into the f50. For this, to Westhoff & Watts we add Burton, Rockliff, Bonner, Houston, Lienert, Farrell and one or two draft picks delivering the ball forward, and it starts to look a whole lot more dangerous already.

Westhoff and Watts for wing. Tallest wingmen in the league.

With the 6-6-6 rule, one starts at CHB corner of the square, the other one at the CHF corner of the square at bounce down, and then they drift into wing back and wing forward roles.
Considering the 6 defenders and 6 forwards need to start inside the 50, I bet the afl will force the wings to be within the 10 metre circle eg fitting between the two black lines:

upload_2018-11-13_13-20-39.png

This will 'open' up the centre bounces as much as possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It requires a coach to really know the capabilities of their squad, and how to individualize each session on the go. What you planned in your head might change on the fly. Lazy coaches have a lesson plan and follow it like a script. Innovative coaches are always changing and keeping the players on their toes which teaches the players to be adaptive on the field. Training sessions become more enjoyable, less predictable and

I know I'm taking this bolded part a bit out of context, but a good coach also needs to know what is available to them and to use to the best overall effect. We have great contested-ball mids, but it's altogether different to translate that contested-ball ability to advantage, especially against top sides.

Strong contested-ball mids rarely use the ball well, and prefer to just bang it forwards out of congestion, which causes turnovers. Some teams in 2018 (Hawks, Cats) did much better than expected, even though they were often beaten in contested ball, by really burning their opponents on turnovers.

There needs to be major synergy between the first-hands-on-the-ball-at-stoppages mids and that other group of mids who won't turn it over as easily. So that instead of just banging the ball forward, we move it with purpose and precision. The midfield needs to play like a team-within-a-team, not a group of individuals who each try to win clearances.

Great post PF08, by the way.

You have literally become Chadbro!

Yes I saw a lot of sloppiness in the weights room which the club was happy to post. Made me think they were going through a session and ticking boxes rather than owning the session and realizing that what they do in the weights room translates on the field by making skills easier to perform. Any athlete that doesn't see this connection and understand it is ill informed.
Monty needs to be weights room general

Considering the 6 defenders and 6 forwards need to start inside the 50, I bet the afl will force the wings to be within the 10 metre circle eg fitting between the two black lines:

View attachment 584028

This will 'open' up the centre bounces as much as possible

The rule is they need to be anywhere along the centre square.

I'm certain he's going to be a senior coach. Whether it's here or elsewhere.

My bet is it'll be right here.
Problem is if Jarrod and Monty contribute and lift this club back into contention then kern will get the credit which means we will want to re sign kern, closing out any change at the top. its going to be difficult to shaft kern and get him out of the way.

For now, until teams start altering their starting positions until the AFL has a fit.

They've already said a forward must start in the goal square, what's to stop them making other decisions like that.

No doubt when there is a small margin late in games wingers will be starting right at the defensive end and floating into defensive 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back