2019 attacking game

Remove this Banner Ad

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I am enjoying the more take the game on port this year. Kicking to the forward pocket for a throw in frequently might have been playing the percentages etc but....dont know how successful the attacking game will be, but prefer wins that way. Prefer any comments not to bust just dumps on coaches administration.

It's a much more watchable way to play but would be more effective if we structured up better with some genuine leading forwards. lets hope Marshall is back soon, we also miss Charlie more than I thought.
If our mids can get something going it will make things much easier. It seems winning the midfield has become paramount with the new rules.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the more take the game on port this year. Kicking to the forward pocket for a throw in frequently might have been playing the percentages etc but....dont know how successful the attacking game will be, but prefer wins that way. Prefer any comments not to bust just dumps on coaches administration.
Nick DalSanto was discussing this on SEN..said that the dilemma for the coach is...what would fans prefer for their team if they had to choose?
Exciting brand of footy that loses
Or
Boring footy but lots of wins
Not always mutually exclusive but sometimes they are.

Yet saturday night looked incredibly reminiscent of the last 2 years moreso than the first 3 weeks. Played right into the hands of a VFL side.

The first 20 minutes on Saturday looked great. Our first four goals came about from daring switching of the play, hard, overlapping run and well executed kicks into our 50. Goal number should 5 have come the same way, until Tom Jonas got involved just forward of centre, and inexcusably missed a target 25m away resulting in a very bad turnover goal. We never really got our mojo back after that. A number of our goals subsequently had to come from free kicks (e.g. holding decisions to Drew, R Gray and Ryder in the second half), because we just couldn't find free targets up forward. Richmond on the other hand had an open forward line.

We are missing the overlap running from round 1, and although we are still getting a lot of possessions, including handball, most of it is now unnecessary and high risk, low reward stuff.

The first 20 minutes on Saturday looked great. Our first four goals came about from daring switching of the play, hard, overlapping run and well executed kicks into our 50. Goal number should 5 have come the same way, until Tom Jonas got involved just forward of centre, and inexcusably missed a target 25m away resulting in a very bad turnover goal. We never really got our mojo back after that. A number of our goals subsequently had to come from free kicks (e.g. holding decisions to Drew, R Gray and Ryder in the second half), because we just couldn't find free targets up forward. Richmond on the other hand had an open forward line.

We are missing the overlap running from round 1, and although we are still getting a lot of possessions, including handball, most of it is now unnecessary and high risk, low reward stuff.

I think we're really missing the effect Watts had playing at HB, i know it was only 2 games, but he was one that has the ability to nail the 45 kicks they seem to do in that area and get wrong 50% of the time

It's interesting that we had the 4th highest score of the weekend but still managed to lose. I'd still rather lose trying to score than lose not trying to score though. We can be entertaining losers rather than boring losers.

It's interesting that we had the 4th highest score of the weekend but still managed to lose. I'd still rather lose trying to score than lose not trying to score though. We can be entertaining losers rather than boring losers.

We also had 16 and 15 goals kicked against us those 2 weeks the 3rd highest and 2nd highest in those 2 weeks.

I agree and I prefer us to be more attacking, but its bloody annoying when we dominate inside 50's, just bomb the ball in, its such a grind for us to kick goals, and the oppo kick goals relatively easily on the counter attack.

We also had 16 and 15 goals kicked against us those 2 weeks the 3rd highest and 2nd highest in those 2 weeks.

I agree and I prefer us to be more attacking, but its bloody annoying when we dominate inside 50's, just bomb the ball in, its such a grind for us to kick goals, and the oppo kick goals relatively easily on the counter attack.

All we've done is go back to the 2016 game plan.

I'm not sure that I will ever again be able to read one of your posts without thinking "Chundercloud". Sorry. The spell is broken.

We're 3rd in the AFL for Scoring Shots for and 5th against.

Unfortunately we've opened up the protection of our defence to do it and have the second worst conversion against - I.e. teams are getting easy scoring opportunities coming back the other way.

Heard Bass yesterday about we should of been better at bringing the ball to ground. basically we have moved our love affair with kicking to pockets into the middle a bit, still not wanting the idea of hitting a leading target, but bombing it in to have it spilled to the ground.

No wonder Marshall isn't playing...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to all replies to this point of time, as they reflect a willingness to respond tothe football nous aspect of the game.

Feel, I think we are playing a much better style of football. Game plan is better, and the players seems to know & like what they are doing, and we are seeing much more creativity. However, some of the skill errors are still cruelling us! Also the panic long-bomb kicks to Dixon, Marshall, SGray, has worked its way back in! That is player frustration, not coaching ... But they need some solid coaching to wipe it out!

We are seriously missing Watts in our backline ... what a terrible loss his injury has turned out to be ... A fit Hammer is desperately needed, and IMO Broadbent replaces DBJ, who was awful on the weekend ... just awful!! He was channeling "Bad Pittard" at his worst!

I like the gameplan, it is the selection (and to a lesser degree injury to Dixon) bringing it undone.

Our aim to "play what is in front of us" is thwarted when we dont have KPF and Richmond knew it.

They applied great frontal pressure and clogged up the corridor.

This means that "playing what is in front of us" then meant going longer to the one on ones left by their players pressing up should have been the best option.

With no tall forwards there to bring the ball to ground or mark it they were able to easily counter this option too and our great small forwards were rendered useless.

If we get selection right and have the genuine option to go short or long then the game plan will work like it did round 1.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we're really missing the effect Watts had playing at HB, i know it was only 2 games, but he was one that has the ability to nail the 45 kicks they seem to do in that area and get wrong 50% of the time

Watts, Motlop and Houston are about the only guys in the side whose skills I trust. Watts is injured, it doesn't matter how good Motlop's skills are if he's not getting a kick, and Houston is a gun and in great form but he can't do it all on his own.

Wow a thread that is allowing some positive and suggestive view points.
I think we are actually one of the few teams that is worth watching at the minute. We are going forward as our outlet play much more.
Forward handballs were very rare last year, but even on Saturday, especially in the first quarter, numerous players were looking to move it forward with handballs and knock ons.
Stick fat coaches this is the type of football we want to see and it can only get better in terms of results when it becomes second nature.
Sorry about your thread Thundercloud that was shut down. I couldn't agree more with your thinking.
When you Google faceless keyboard warrior it comes up with the word Janus.

The attacking aspects of the game we have played have been great to watch when well executed. Independent (ie not Port or crows) supporters I work with think our footy is very entertaining. The playing group are still learning Monty's team defence and will get better at defending (and attacking) as they continue to execute the skills and structures needed in games.

It was fascinating listening to Nathan Buckley on the weekend talk about how much the game has changed from last year to this year. He acknowledged his Collingwood side has looked very defensive during stretches of games so far this year. Buckley said his players are still adjusting to the balance between attack and defence in the 2019 game plan. And this team played in last year's grand final.

If only we had a leader down back that was a tighter defender and willing to actually lock down the most dangerous forward, maybe our score against column may look a bit better - as well as our win loss record.

I love our take it on at all cost game plan, but surely we dont need all of our defenders to be doing it - especially the guys that have proven time and time again that they are too slow and cant constantly hit a target.

Burton - Attack with both run and kick. Bug body, above average kick and good speed.

Clurey - Attack with both run and kick... BUT, if he is required as a lock down defender - just stick with his opponent.

Houston - Absolutely be an attacking player with his deadly accurate kick, but not with run as his leg speed is average.

Bonner - Attack with run and gun, kick is average and shouldnt take the risky kick on the HBF to create run.

Jonas - should be the lock down one on one glove rather than the drop off zone player that he is at the moment. He is too slow to close the gap if he is guarding grass and letting him man gap him by 30m. His disposal is also average at best, so he should never take the on the corridor attacking kick.

DBJ - Primarily needs to concentrate on locking down the dangerous smaller forward, he has great closing speed and is hard as *. Should never take the risky kick as his disposal is shocking.

Howard - Just spoil the ball farken! SPOIL, SPOIL, SPOIL - kill the ******* contest! His marking is so far below average that he just shouldnt even attempt it.
I am more than happy for him to take the semi risky kick inboard as he has a nice clean kick.

Hammer - Good all rounder, great long and accurate kick. He is our contested ball winner down back with DBJ, leg speed isnt his biggest asset!

Brogs - Intercept marking and reading the play, along with his beautiful kick will set up plenty of attacking plays... never been a good runner!

There is no need to have every defender being a run off defender - we still need some one to defend!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back