ATP/WTA 2019 Australian Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool. Sounds like 9 are prepared. Bracey will be alright as the main host.
Also good to hear they will utilise the 9GEM channel.
The app situation still a bit of an unknown.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pretty impressive and sounds like ch9 are making the effort with the broadcast. Hopefully it turns out well.

Not sure if I've missed this elsewhere, but I hope that 9/TA will be releasing an app like 7 have had the last couple of years. The level of access was amazing, showing all courts during the Open.

Am puzzled by Nine's lack of comment on this, i have a feeling Nine are going to stuff this up completely. I remember even quaiies of Brisbane International was being streamed when 7 had it, we'll see what happens Monday but I'm expecting to be disappointed.

I work at the Open so doesn't affect me but if there isn't streamed coverage of every court at the Open, I hope the complaints roll in, it would be such a standard thing Nine to do.

New Heat Policy will be announced:

A new extreme heat policy that dictates when it is safe for the world’s best players to take to the court and rates temperature stress levels will be introduced at next month’s Australian Open.

Tennis Australia will on Saturday unveil a revamped policy to protect players from sweltering conditions at Melbourne Park, with air temperature, radiant heat, humidity, wind speed and strength of the sun to all be considered.

The Herald Sun can reveal an “AO Heat Stress Scale” will be used for the first time in grand slam history to prevent players from fainting, and suffering heat stroke and exhaustion.
It comes after players enduring on court temperatures of up to 69C in long matches this year appealed to tournament organisers for changes in their interest of safety.

Players will be given extra breaks, more comprehensive measurement of climate conditions undertaken and state of the art technology used to help dictate when play should be suspended.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said the changes would improve conditions for players during Melbourne’s summer heat.

“The wellbeing of all players at the Australian Open is our utmost priority and we have developed the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale after months of research and testing,” he said.

The AO Heat Stress Scale ranges from one to five with specific recommendations associated with each step of the scale — one denoting temperate playing conditions and five the suspension of play.”

Ten-minute breaks will be introduced after the third set for men’s singles matches for the first time, when level four is reached under the new heat stress scale.

The same break will be offered to women and junior singles players between the second and third sets.

And if the stress scale reaches level five, the tournament referee can suspend play or close stadium roofs.

he new extreme heat policy was developed after research and testing by Tennis Australia medical staff and Sydney University experts studying the effects of heat stress on players.

Four climate factors — radiant heat (strength of the sun), air temperature in the shade, relative humidity and wind speed will be measured at five positions around the precinct, including on-court in Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena and Melbourne Arena.

Previously, Australian Open chiefs relied on the closest BOM weather station at Olympic Park.

Tennis Australia chief medical officer Dr Carolyn Broderick said the new stress scale accounted for physiological variances between adults, wheelchair and junior athletes and how the climate affected player’s ability to disperse heat from their body.

full article: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/archiv...s/news-story/152471ae01a513999a236ea8191509fc

And, every year we seem to have issues with the heat policy

Hopman cup starts today!

Zverev is not happy with the new TB rule. I wonder if AO did consult any players or just a selected few.

Alexander Zverev has criticised Australian Open organisers for introducing final-set tie-breaks, claiming players were not consulted and it deprived the tournament of “something special”.

Organisers have decided to follow Wimbledon in abandoning the advantage final set at the opening Grand Slam of the season in Melbourne next month.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/ne...en-decision-to-introduce-final-set-tie-breaks

Last edited:
And, every year we seem to have issues with the heat policy

Hopman cup starts today!

Zverev is not happy with the new TB rule. I wonder if AO did consult any players or just a selected few.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/ne...en-decision-to-introduce-final-set-tie-breaks
but they did extensive consultation, "the most extensive consultation in the tournament’s history. "

So, in this extensive consultation, they didn't talk to the current players, the fans....

Would hate to see what a normal consultation is like

#stillpissed #tileyout

but they did extensive consultation, "the most extensive consultation in the tournament’s history. "

So, in this extensive consultation, they didn't talk to the current players, the fans....

Would hate to see what a normal consultation is like

#stillpissed #tileyout
The worst part is how or where csn we protest? Social media is our only option. I hate that thry have made such a massive change without any feedback from tennis fans.

First time I've seen this Norrie guy play. Decent leftie!

Decent field for the mens Brisbane event. The scheduling will be interesting as this year they want to get through the mens and womans first two rounds by the end of Wednesday. There are at least 8 first round mens matches which would be good to watch, I think they should of stayed with a Sunday start.

Nike uniform clash here with Sakkari and Boulter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draw is out for Brisbane, draw for aussies:

Bolt vs. Thompson (haha)
Popryin vs. De Minaur (fun battle of the youngsters)
Duckworth vs. Murray (re-match of that grind fest they played in New York, surely Andy wins this easier)
Kyrgios vs. Harrison (final from last year)
Millman vs. Sandregen (nice draw, Sandregen is about to take a tumble in the rankings from that AO QF)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back