ATP/WTA 2019 Australian Summer

Kokkinakis is hoping to receive an Australian open wildcard otherwise he'll be playing qualifying.

How many wildcards has he received by now

Injuries have killed him so i think it is fair enough. He won a challenger towards the end of the year and hovering around the 150 mark. He is still capable of winning matches in the main draw.

James Duckworth and Kim Birell have won the wildcard playoffs. Was rather impressed with the tennis i saw from kim this week, she has improved a lot.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
New WTA rules. Ranking protection for pregnancy. 25 second shot clock. Toilet breaks down from 2 to 1. And women can wear fat suits.

I'll be so happy when she retires.

Lost all respect for her due to her antic's during the US Open final against Sam Stosur.

Started to regain it a little in recent times right until her final against Osaka.

She is a bigger poor loser than "I only lose when injured Nadal".

I don't honestly care about the cat suits and I like the new rules around ranking protection for pregnant players.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I'm not ******* surprised, but I'm ******* angry.

But then again I've been ******* angry with Tennis Australia for the past 10 years.
I am surprised by how angry I am by this as well. Killed all my excitement for the tournament

So frustrating as it wasn't needed and I can't do anything about it. Way to ignore your audience. So stupid.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As you know, I am not in favour of advantage final sets. However, I am also not in favour of a final set tiebreak at 6-6.

This is indeed disappointing.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I can't wait till they get of "decue". Way too unpredictable. Should just have a "super" point at 40-all to decide the match.

And playing to 6-all is too inconsistent time wise. Should just play for 30 mins, and if they are still even, then have a Super Duper TB. I am a busy person. I don't want to spend my life watching epic tennis matches.

I thought going to bed would cool my anger. Nope..........

I can't wait till they get of "decue". Way too unpredictable. Should just have a "super" point at 40-all to decide the match.

And playing to 6-all is too inconsistent time wise. Should just play for 30 mins, and if they are still even, then have a Super Duper TB. I am a busy person. I don't want to spend my life watching epic tennis matches.

I thought going to bed would cool my anger. Nope..........

I think after 30 minutes, they should flip a coin.... our attention span doesn't go that long anyway

The Australian Open’s move to kill off advantage sets and introduce ‘super tie-breakers’ to break the deadlock in men’s and women’s matches has been widely condemned by tennis fans.

From next month’s tournament at Melbourne Park, a tie-breaker will be employed when the score reaches 6-6 in the fifth set of men’s matches, and the third set of women’s matches.
The move means the four grand slams will operate with four different scoring systems to decide a match that has well and truly gone the distance.

The French Open now stands alone as the only major to require players to play out the final set until one leads by two games – also the previous format for the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Significantly, while Australian Open organisers will turn to tie-breakers after just 12 games of the final set, Wimbledon has only recently moved to introduce conventional tie-breakers – but only until the match is deep into the final set and the score reaches 12-12.

The controversial move for Melbourne had been expected for some time but wasn’t necessarily tipped to be implemented for next month's event.
Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley defended the move and said the decision was reached after "the most extensive consultation in the tournament’s history".

"We went with a 10-point tie-break at six games all in the final set to ensure the fans still get a special finale to these often epic contests, with the longer tie-break still then allowing for that one final twist or change of momentum in the contest," Tiley said.

"This longer tie-break also can lessen some of the serving dominance that can prevail in the shorter tie-break."

Marathon matches in tennis have been a hot issue in 2018, mainly thanks to the gruelling contests in the men’s semis at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

John Isner, who famously spent more than 11 hours on court spread over three days to outlast Nicholas Mahut 70-68 in the fifth set at Wimbledon in 2010, was this year involved in an exhausting semi-final against Kevin Anderson before losing 26-24 in the decider. Novak Djokovic then defeated Rafael Nadal in the other semi, prevailing 10-8 in the fifth after five hours and 15 minutes on court.

In October, Wimbledon bowed to widespread pressure and adopted tie-breakers.
The Australian Open announced on Friday night that their preferred tie-breaker format – the first player to 10 points – would be introduced in January.

But the news was met with almost universal condemnation across social media with many fans lamenting the loss of the unpredictability that comes with uncertain finishing times of matches with advantage sets.

Recently retired Australian tennis player Sam Groth tweeted: "2018 has been a sledgehammer to tennis history and traditions."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/ten...o-final-set-tie-breakers-20181222-p50nwd.html

Kaan

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I can tell you now that that won’t happen. Advantage sets are finished however the exact method of ending the final set is still up for debate.

If it was up to me the final set would go to a tiebreak at 18-18, will avoid silly matches like Isner/Mahut without denying epics like Federer/Roddick 16-14.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If it was up to me the final set would go to a tiebreak at 18-18, will avoid silly matches like Isner/Mahut without denying epics like Federer/Roddick 16-14.

I’d prefer 18-18 than 6-6, although my preference is 12-12 or 15-15.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
https://ausopen.com/articles/news/final-set-tiebreaks-australian-open-2019

confirmed.

Idiots. Way to ruin things. FU Tennis Australia.

no more this

or this

Can't say how disappointed/angry I am by this short-sighted decision. We are now just another US Open. Nothing separates us.

Another angry tennis fan here :shoutyoldman: TA are absolutely clueless! (or more correctly, slaves to their TV contractual obligations).

Re your comment about us being just another US Open, it's still five sets for thebmen at the AO though isn't it, or have I missed some more bad news? :eek:

Back