Autopsy 2019 autopsy: 9 wins, 13th on ladder, 2 coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

I know that we have improved from the past couple of years, and that there were positives to be seen in 2019. The past couple of weeks however (and the fact that this has been another year of me not seeing us win live) has me thinking that our season has been more like this:

dumpster.gif

and what's worse is that 2020 will be our Empire Strikes Back (spoiler alert: didn't go well)

Would take Hanners over Conca given the trade price, it’s the coin Hanners is on that’s the issue. He is a gun when fit though.

Hanners is top shelf elite. See what a half baked version did against us a few weeks ago. He has such a fast footy brain, picks good options and is a good user.

In any case, if it even were an option, I would take Conca for the simple reason that I'm utterly sick of injury prone talent on our list. That is why I'm only ho hum on us locking SHill in for the next couple.

To quote the great Belichick , the best ability is availability - if we've not worked that out at this club given the last 4+ years, we never will.

Hanners is top shelf elite. See what a half baked version did against us a few weeks ago. He has such a fast footy brain, picks good options and is a good user.

In any case, if it even were an option, I would take Conca for the simple reason that I'm utterly sick of injury prone talent on our list. That is why I'm only ho hum on us locking SHill in for the next couple.

To quote the great Belichick , the best ability is availability - if we've not worked that out at this club given the last 4+ years, we never will.

Hanners has such clean hands, it's where we have missed Neale the most. No fumbles, no second touches, if the ball is near him he will grab it. We are desperate for someone like that just as much as an elite ball user.

Hanners feeding the ball out to Hill/Billings will propel them up the ladder faster than most think, it's why we should absolutely bend the Saints in the trade. They are aware just how important Hill will be for them given the coin they spent on Hanners.

Too many injuries to too many key players.
To many players on the list who may make it, but no clear picture as to who an when.
Colyer is a filler, Kerstin was a filler. Tabs is still trading on potential. Bewley/Nyhuis are/were a speculator.
The obvious, Cerra and Brayshaw are showing plenty, but the lower picks, seem to all go one way.
Reserve judgement until we see who is the coach, and what his brief is.

Yes, a few of them were big wins given their history like Conca & Walters. Brayshaw & Tucker having 22 helps a lot also. The others are Hamling, Billy, Langdon & Mundy.
So the Eagles (for example) either had more injuries or rotated more players through than us. Yet we are in a rebuild and had 10,000 injuries apparently. Hmm.

First half of the year we were flying despite a shocker game against the Gold Coast with a fit squad (which is easy to forget), unfortunately we had to play them when they were up about before expectantly falling off a cliff and losing 17 straight games.

Great signs for our young players and our recruits playing big roles in our wins against North (82 points) GWS (away) Lions (1 point) Collingwood (away) and Geelong (34 points).

After the bye our depth was tested with huge injuries to our spine in Pearce, Hogan, Lobb, and Taberner going down, to which we did not take well losing 8 of our last 10 home and away games for the season, shutting the door on finals for a 4th straight year.

Our core 22 is evidently strong enough to beat any team anywhere, but strong depth is required for any team to challenge for an entire season without extreme luck (Brisbane).

We are without doubt one of the hardest teams to gauge at this point, with a new CEO and Senior coach yet to be announced, but with a healthy playing list, good depth built through the draft, and further development into our younger players, I believe our list is in good shape to push for finals next year. The big issue as it stands right now is the retention of our core players, and whether or not we can cover them if they do leave (Langdon, B. Hill, Tucker).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Eagles (for example) either had more injuries or rotated more players through than us. Yet we are in a rebuild and had 10,000 injuries apparently. Hmm.

Is this supposed to be some kind of negative swerve for the sake of it?

So basically you want Conca to not play his first 22 game season of his career, Walters to be injured so we lose more games, to remove Mundy's leadership off the field and Hamling from our crippled back-line so that it lowers the number of an unrelated stat and helps you deal with where we are in regards to the rebuild? Pretty weird.

We still played 37 players this season to the Eagles 34 (for example). Keeping 8 of our B22 on the park is actually a positive.

Last edited:
That would be a dangerous comparison/conclusion to draw from that raw stat. That figure looks the same whether the player missed one game or 21 games.

I've chosen the 21 day period here because it's a hammy or less:
Hurn, Petruccelle missed 3; Gaff, Jetta, Kennedy missed 2; Yeo, McGovern, Redden, Allen missed 1

Ryan, Sheed, Sheppard, Shuey, Darling were their full season players.

Just had a look at some stats recently. The last 3 brownlow medal winners all had a huge spike in free kicks the year they won.

Of the main contenders this year only one has had a spike. Fyfe had 49 free kicks this year compared to just 24 (in 15 games albeit) the year before.

Brownlow night will be very interesting.

Just had a look at some stats recently. The last 3 brownlow medal winners all had a huge spike in free kicks the year they won.

Of the main contenders this year only one has had a spike. Fyfe had 49 free kicks this year compared to just 24 (in 15 games albeit) the year before.

Brownlow night will be very interesting.
Barlow for Fyfe's date.

First half of the year we were flying despite a shocker game against the Gold Coast with a fit squad (which is easy to forget), unfortunately we had to play them when they were up about before expectantly falling off a cliff and losing 17 straight games.

Great signs for our young players and our recruits playing big roles in our wins against North (82 points) GWS (away) Lions (1 point) Collingwood (away) and Geelong (34 points).

After the bye our depth was tested with huge injuries to our spine in Pearce, Hogan, Lobb, and Taberner going down, to which we did not take well losing 8 of our last 10 home and away games for the season, shutting the door on finals for a 4th straight year.

Our core 22 is evidently strong enough to beat any team anywhere, but strong depth is required for any team to challenge for an entire season without extreme luck (Brisbane).

We are without doubt one of the hardest teams to gauge at this point, with a new CEO and Senior coach yet to be announced, but with a healthy playing list, good depth built through the draft, and further development into our younger players, I believe our list is in good shape to push for finals next year. The big issue as it stands right now is the retention of our core players, and whether or not we can cover them if they do leave (Langdon, B. Hill, Tucker).
good summation. I belive our recent drafted players dont have high end talent needed. we have to draft alot better or at least trade well in the near future or we will be treading water

Remove this Banner Ad

Back