Autopsy 2019 autopsy: 9 wins, 13th on ladder, 2 coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
I don't think there's going to be much discussion about our round 23 games v Port, so lets autopsy the 2019 season.

We won 1 more game than 2018, and finished 1 spot higher on the ladder.

We've won a bunch of games v top 8 teams, but had some shockers in games we should've dominated.

We've said goodbye to Fremantle veterans Sandilands and Ballantyne, and been shocked by the decision in round 22 to sack Ross Lyon and remove CEO Steve Rosich.

Links for round 23 are here if you need them:

Votes v Port: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/votes-rnd-23-vs-port.1226898/
Next Freo coach poll: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/poll-next-senior-coach.1226626/
Melt thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...n-rules-strictly-enforced-see-post-1.1214086/
Positivity thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...n-rules-strictly-enforced-see-post-1.1214087/

If we can keep hill and Langdon & get a couple of mature age players in the draft things are looking up with a new coach.
Hogan I have no faith after the years of tears with hb and morrabito.
I think we can bounce back really strongly.
It's been a horrible year.

There was a fair amount of positives this season compared to previous years.

Feels like the boards decision overshadows all of that. The amount of uncertainty regarding this club and its' playing list going into next season may very well mean we won't get to see those positives deepen further on-field.

So much sudden change incoming.

what a lovely thread

*sits down in comfy chair*

13th. Could have been worse, could have been better. Lost a couple of close games, but also won a few by very skinny margins. If we had lost a couple of them we would have ended up backwards compared to last year. It is was it is, can't be moaning about the close losses, can't win them all. The problem is the struggle to score. We work so damn hard just to get a scrubby kick at goal under pressure when we play badly. Skills by hand are just as bad as skills by foot at times. Everything under pressure and unable to break clear of congestion because of poor skills. A few exceptions, but those are the outliers, not the norm.

Honestly feels like a wasted season. Almost a carbon copy of 2018.

Drafted our targets, came out the blocks well, look good in periods, followed by unispired stagnant football, followed by an upset to a contender, only to lose to a cellar dweller. Throw in a rotation of injuries and excuses, 2019 is done.

We've been figured out a long time ago, we get countered whenever we try to move the ball up the line. Our cattle is ok in some areas, we lack a bit of depth with the game tactics we try to employ, but the sackings made hit the epicenter of the problems for improvement. Our gamestyle died when the sub was no more and we never moved forward

We've tread water on-field this year all things considered. Not sure anyone can really gauge where the club is at until after the trade period - the off-field appointments are going to be just as important as the on-field movement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we improved a lot over 2018. While only one more win, our percentage was improved substantially. It’s just that 2019 threatened to be a whole lot better than what finally transpired. We were sitting at 6th early in the second half of the season folks.

If we recruit well in the coaching stakes, I fully expect to make finals next year.

That said, it feels as though sacking Ross has increased the range of possible outcomes next year. Top four or bottom four are both possible in 2020 to my mind.

I said at the start of the season we were a year too early to play finals and our bipolar form throughout the season proves that. Consistency is what the next coach needs to instill into the players if they want to do anything in the next couple of years.

Need stable best 22. Do that we’re capable of finals. We have little depth.

In all seriousness guys like Conca, Tucker should be those fringe 22 types.

Guys like Banfield, Hughes, Duman, Logue, should be depth.

There’s then of course a few that shouldn’t be playing AFL.

I think our biggest issue is our midfield.

Our best midfielders are Fyfe, B Hill and S Hill. One is leaving, maybe 2 so next year will be tough.
Mundy played well, but is the wrong side of 30, Cerra and Brayshaw have promise.
Langdon is almost a very good player, but is one of our few players that run hard so he will be missed.

Walters is very good for 5 minutes a quarter, but like Mundy he has been given a huge workload which has slowed him down after mid year.

Blakely may be good as an inside mid, but like a lot of our other mid is one pace and has average skills.

Are current squad including B Hill, S Hill and Langdon is 2 or 3 good mids who are quick and use the ball well. If we lose all 3, then we will need 5 or 6 more in the overall squad.

Our key forwards are good, Walters is class but we badly need a mobile tall plus two small towards who can apply pressure plus kick a goal. If they can jump, and take a mark that would be a bonus. I am looking forward to Sturt taking the 3rd or 4th tall role, although apparently he is being lined up to play wing.

This is a key draft for us. If we come out of the draft with out some speed and class I will be very disappointed.

I could honestly clean out another 15 players who aren’t AFL quality (including the retirements.) Mundy really should go rope but we’re so devoid of experience and depth he has to play on.

Can’t see us getting Kelly, and if Langdon and Hill go we should probably give the new coach with the best skilled talent we can get via the draft.

Feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity, we could of won so many more games, especially if we didn't have the injuries we did. I'm more of the pro sacking fans and think the club and team need a shake up to progress. Off the top of my head the positives/negatives would be:

+ Brayshaw is developing nicely
+ Fully fit, we have a good forward line with options finally
+ Fully fit great backline
+ Beat some top teams
- rubbish depth
- didn't really bring through any quality young players this year (criminal in a rebuild)
- terrible skills and especially kicking
- complete inability to beat a Hawthorn/west coast team
- depth is terrible
-Game plan was still very defensive
- injuries

The next appointments look to be very portabt if we aren't going to have to go through a prolonged rebuild.

well the worm for this year has been alot like my recently failed visa marriage seemed promising at first, didnt end up staying down the stretch despite fleeting moments of deceptive bliss
you have a way with words Ghosty
write a song or something

autopsy of port game;
well Dixon is a player, beautiful kick as well (you can tell he's new)
Cerra in the middle was lovely.

Season analysis we will cut the fat on the list do a big draft hopefully bulk up that depth.
I reckon we sit in a pretty good place to attack next season.

I could honestly clean out another 15 players who aren’t AFL quality (including the retirements.) Mundy really should go rope but we’re so devoid of experience and depth he has to play on.

Can’t see us getting Kelly, and if Langdon and Hill go we should probably give the new coach with the best skilled talent we can get via the draft.
I don't want to add another midfielder who hides behind a decent midfield. Kelly is that person. When the going gets tough - he disappears. He also burns the ball so much. He's not as bad as Langdon but boy is it not good.

Here is 19 players, you can remove 4 and your statement is still accurate.

Aaron Sandilands
Scott Jones
Lloyd Meek
David Mundy
Shane Kersten
Ryan Nyhuis
Harley Bennell
Tom North
Tobe Watson
Hayden Ballantyne
Lachlan Schultz
Brandon Matera