Prediction 2019 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Without any additional pre season injuries. 2019 will be very competitive for spots.:thumbsu:

A strong position to be in. I would hate to be one of the selectors.

I'm starting to sorta feel sorry for some of the guys who will miss out. I mean, Aish, Mayne, Broomhead, Greenwood, Reid/Mihocek (one of), Philips, Roughead... there are players there who would get games in almost any other team.

I don't disagree but thats only if the Elliott is the 2015 one. I mean he's been injured so much that we aren't necessarily gonna have the same Elliott back next season. The Elliott in 2017 for example who played for a decent amount of the season was nowhere near the 2015 one. So yeah, I think he walks into the forward line like De Goey does atm in his 2015 kind of form, I'm just not convinced that he will be able to perform at that level for us next season. I'm fairly optimistic about it though, I just think it'd be harsh to drop someone like Thomas with how Thomas was playing. Hopefully Elliott can get back to his best next season.

Elliott is a fascinating study.
Debut year I think 15 games in the number 35.

Then he plays in the season: 17, 20, 17, 20 games something like that but misses two full years.
After his debut year always gets 30 plus goals.

Get him right, in our better team, he could be a star to position.

I'm starting to sorta feel sorry for some of the guys who will miss out. I mean, Aish, Mayne, Broomhead, Greenwood, Reid/Mihocek (one of), Philips, Roughead... there are players there who would get games in almost any other team.
Great problem to have.
Phillips would have to severely fade not to be picked in my view.

Roughead is only there as insurance in my view.

The rest are all going to feel, the heat of competition for spots. Suspect Mayne is the safest as does his job.

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard
HB: Howe Moore Crisp
C: Sidebottom Beams Pendles
HF: Stephenson Cox Hoskin-Elliott
F: Elliott DeGoey Thomas
Foll: Grundy Treloar Adams

I/C: Sier Phillips Varcoe, Mihocek

E: Mayne Scharenberg Wells Greenwood Daicos Brown Broomhead Roughead Appleby Murphy
(I can't split the emergencies based on game day needs, form, availability etc.)

Mayne a bit stiff.

B: Langdon Dunn Crisp
HB: Howe Moore Scharenberg
C: Wells Beams Sidebottom
HF: WHE Reid Stephenson
F: Elliott Cox De Goey
Fol: Grundy Pendles Treloar
B: Sier Varcoe Thomas Adams

Maynard Dunn Langdon
Crisp Moore Howe

Grundy Adams Treloar
Sidebottom Beams Pendlebury

Hoskin-Elliot Cox Stephenson
Elliot De Goey Mihocek

Sier Roughead Phillips Wells/Thomas

Emg: Mayne Goldsack Thomas/Wells Aish

I think that’s a relatively settled backline, obviously scharenberg when fit slots in there somehow and the chances of us going 22 games without an injury in pretty low so he’ll fit in somewhere down the track.

Through the middle geez we have so many options! I’ve gone with what I think are our best midfield group, however “defensive” minded midfielders such as greenwood and mayne will play throughout the year depending on opposition, setup, form and injury.

Up forward there’s so many dangerous options!! Cox JDG Elliot and Mihocek as the main targets with Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot streaming back inside 50 are going to cause countless headaches! Throw in Thomas Wells Sidebottom Beams and we have endless options!

On the bench Sier and Phillips would be best 18 for most sides, young midfielders who are improving and could be anything this year! Roughead I feel is perfect match day depth all over the ground, 22nd man that can fill a hole anywhere on the field.

Great problem to have.
Phillips would have to severely fade not to be picked in my view.

Roughead is only there as insurance in my view.

The rest are all going to feel, the heat of competition for spots. Suspect Mayne is the safest as does his job.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about Mayne. Was great to see him perform this year but he's not a game changer, just a solid b-player who plays his role. Could easily see Aish, Broomhead, Brown, Greenwood or Daicos take his place.

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Lynden Dunn ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Daniel Wells ~ Tom Langdon ~ Jack Crisp

M: Jayden Stephenson ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Dayne Beams ~ Adam Treloar

HF: Travis Varcoe ~ Darcy Moore ~ Steele Sidebottom
F: Jamie Elliott ~ Mason Cox ~ Jordan De Goey

I/C: Brayden Sier ~ Isaac Quaynor ~ Josh Thomas ~ Will Hoskin-Elliott

If Wells can stay healthy. This is it . :) Only change would maybe be Pendles swaps with Sidey . Pendles too slow but smart .

Last edited:

I mean, why don't you just write a post saying Tom Phillips should be dropped?

He has been brilliant and will not lose his place next year unless he has serious form issues or is unfit.

We seemingly have enough A grade talent now- Grundy, DeGoey, Treloar, Pendles, Sidebottom, Adams, Beams, Howe along with Crisp and Moore who could get to that level next year. Guys like Elliott and Wells could be, but they could also be big fails, not fit enough, not defensive enough and don't click with the side. Gonna be a fun preseason to see how fit and prepared they are!!

Elliott is a fascinating study.
Debut year I think 15 games in the number 35.

Then he plays in the season: 17, 20, 17, 20 games something like that but misses two full years.
After his debut year always gets 30 plus goals.

Get him right, in our better team, he could be a star to position.
yeah thats about right but actually it was 2016 and 2018 where he missed the entire season. In 2017 he had an interrupted season but still ended up playing 17 games I believe. However, while he may still have gotten 30 plus goals, maybe its just me but I didn't feel like he was a fair way off of his best that year, overall I mean - his overall play in 2015 was so good! That year lots of people had him in their midseason all Australian team around the bye rounds.

This is what the 5th? line up you've posted in this thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard Reid Langdon

Crisp Moore Howe

Sidebottom Pendlebury Treloar

Grundy Adams Beams

Elliott Mihochek Hoskin-Elliott

Stephenson Cox De Goey

Wells Goldsack Phillips Varcoe

EMG: Mayne Aish Roughead Murphy Brown Daicos

B : Howe, Moore, Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Maynard
M: Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Grundy,Beams, Sidebottom
F: Cox, Elliott, WHE, Stephenson, DeGoey, Thomas
I: Varcoe, Phillips, Roughead, Sier

Intercept marking should go through the roof.
Roughead is the only speculative position, haven't seen enough of him but sounds like a good insurance policy across the ground

B: Howe Dunn Maynard
HB: Langdon Moore Crisp

M: Phillips Taylor Adams Aish

HF: Stephenson Mihocek Sidebottom

R: Grundy Beams Treloar
I/C: Sier Thomas WHE Pendlebury

EM: Scharenberg Goldsack Mayne Appleby

B: Howe Dunn Maynard
HB: Langdon Moore Crisp

M: Phillips Taylor Adams Aish

HF: Stephenson Mihocek Sidebottom

R: Grundy Beams Treloar
I/C: Sier Thomas WHE Pendlebury

EM: Scharenberg Goldsack Mayne Appleby
This team could be a Fine Cotton type scandal.

Indeed but then there's bold & then there's cheating.

You have 23 in your team.;)

I put Taylor Adams full name because he is too special just to be any old Adams.

I put Taylor Adams full name because he is too special just to be any old Adams.
Whoops my bad.:$:$

I best cutback or increase the alkeyhole.:drunk::p

I can't believe that some are leaving out Tom Phillips! He came sixth in the Copeland Trophy so obviously the club values his year.

He typifies everything good about the 2018 Collingwood team.

I watched every Collingwood game at the MCG between 2014 and 2017 and saw so many "witches hats" every week, never making space or being there for their team mates.

Tom Phillips and others have brought the the run and carry we so desperately needed. Our success this year was due to our smooth transitions from backline to inside 50 and he was a big part in this.

He was also responsible for many goal assists and a few amazing goals himself.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on the wing next year.

I think you need to watch closer - Phillips plays because we have a long injury list
Once these players are fit he gets pushed out

Should’ve been traded whilst he had currency, missed one there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you need to watch closer - Phillips plays because we have a long injury list
Once these players are fit he gets pushed out

Should’ve been traded whilst he had currency, missed one there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think if anyone should watch closer it should be you, would of been all Australian halfway through the year hes 22 just settle down a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back