2019 Best 22! Guestimation

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got Shep for Schoey, Gaff for LeCras and Hickey for Lycett.

Trying to put together a WAFL team without too many talls:

FB: Rotham Schofield Watson
HB: Smith Brander Nelson
C: Foley Brayshaw O'Neill
HF: Top-up O. Allen M. Allen
FF: Cameron McInnes Petrucelle

R: Brooksby Ah Chee Ainsworth

I: Mutimer Top-up Top-up Waterman

Players missing as we have too many talls: Williams Bines Edwards Riach (and Naitanui)

Mmm it will be interesting having to many talls.

One positive is Rotham will be able to play as an attacking HBF or even on a wing. I felt he was wasted playing on tall players last year.

For me Mcinnes on the list puts us in a bind. We dont need him playing in the ruck because we need to develop Smith but also have Brooksby up and about if he needs a call up. We also do not want him playing FF, CHF or KP down back becasue we need O Allen & Brander in those spots.

Mmm it will be interesting having to many talls.

One positive is Rotham will be able to play as an attacking HBF or even on a wing. I felt he was wasted playing on tall players last year.

For me Mcinnes on the list puts us in a bind. We dont need him playing in the ruck because we need to develop Smith but also have Brooksby up and about if he needs a call up. We also do not want him playing FF, CHF or KP down back becasue we need O Allen & Brander in those spots.

Perhaps M. Allen just plays midfield.

I agree that Brander and O. Allen should be our CHF and CHB for the WAFL team, not sure who plays back or forward. Waterman playing a third tall forward role. McInnes, Brooksby and Williams to play ruck and deep forward roles.

Perhaps Bines, Riach and Edwards to play ressies for another club, if that's possible.

I don't think anyone really knows yet what type of player Riach will be, given he has been reported as 194cm and 189cm.

We also do not want him playing FF, CHF or KP down back becasue we need O Allen & Brander in those spots.

I think, particularly now that we have our own reserves team, Brander needs to be a lock at center half forward. Play him there consistently for an entire season so he can develop, he is the one the looms as Josh Kennedy's successor. Keep Oscar Allen down back, and let Brooksby and Smith play as our rucks.

That means for me that Frase either ends up playing deep full forward, or full back next year.

We had quite a few guys come from the wings this year to be best 22 at the end of the year. Venables, Rioli and Ryan all debuted. Cole cemented a spot. Even mature guys like Redden, Masten, Jetta and Hutchings went from 50/50 to reliably best 22. It really was an extraordinary resurgence by Redden.

We won a flag so maybe that won't happen again this year. But I'd love to hear some outlandish predictions of who could come with a rush in 2019 and be best 22 by the end of it. Everyone says Oscar Allen but anyone else? Are any mids any chance at all?

Are any mids any chance at all?

I hate to jump on the Masten hate train, buuuuut could see a very real possibility of him being replaced by Smith. He played his role well last year, but fact is he's getting on in age. Wouldn't be surprised for the position to be swapped in the season between Masten, Smith, Ainsworth and Nelson.

I hate to jump on the Masten hate train, buuuuut could see a very real possibility of him being replaced by Smith.
Smith isn't even in Masten's ballpark.

He'll prove everyone wrong again in '19. It's what he does.

I hate to jump on the Masten hate train, buuuuut could see a very real possibility of him being replaced by Smith. He played his role well last year, but fact is he's getting on in age. Wouldn't be surprised for the position to be swapped in the season between Masten, Smith, Ainsworth and Nelson.
Smith is the only guy who could conceivably cover Masten's run?

We had quite a few guys come from the wings this year to be best 22 at the end of the year. Venables, Rioli and Ryan all debuted. Cole cemented a spot. Even mature guys like Redden, Masten, Jetta and Hutchings went from 50/50 to reliably best 22. It really was an extraordinary resurgence by Redden.

We won a flag so maybe that won't happen again this year. But I'd love to hear some outlandish predictions of who could come with a rush in 2019 and be best 22 by the end of it. Everyone says Oscar Allen but anyone else? Are any mids any chance at all?
Brayshaw

Yay. Much more interesting question than rehashing our best 22 presuming everyone is fit.

Waterman, O Allen and M Allen I can see being the big improvers. Nelson and Watson smokies.

Waterman takes Mastens wing.

O Allen takes Le cras hff spot.

M Allen takes a bench spot and rotates on ball and off the wings. The BBIMWBLF final announces his arrival.

Watson I hope makes a debut and plays syay 6-8 games covering Jetta's calf management.

Nelson I hope comes in as our defensive mid covering Hutchings and also takes a bench spot.

Smith will get games and could be the big surprise packet. Played well in 16 and 17 only to have injury totally derail 18.

Rotham to get a few games as well as O'Neil

Last edited:
Yay. Much more interesting question thqn rehashing our best 22 presuming everyone is fit.

Waterman, O Allen and M Allen I can see being the big improvers. Nelson and Watson smokies.

Waterman takes Mastens wing.

O Allen takes Le cras hff spot.

M Allen takes a bench spot and rotates on ball and off the wings. The BBIMWBLF final announces his arrival.

Watson I hope makes a debut and plays syay 6-8 games covering Jetta's calf management.

Nelson I hope comes in as our defensive mid covering Hutchings and also takes a bench spot.

Smith will get games and could be the big surprise packet. Played well in 16 and 17 only to have injury totally derail 18.

Rotham to get a fee games as will O'Neil
Another person predicting Masten out. Lol.

You’d think people would learn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another person predicting Masten out. Lol.

You’d think people would learn.

Learn what exactly?

Masten heading North of 30. We have a gaggle of young players pushing for a place in the side. That is list evolution and it happens every year.

Go list who is ranked where. Masto needs to keep playing at his best or others will overtake his output and hurt factor.

I have supported Masten more often than not but he and Hutchings are the two current best 22 mids under the most pressure.

Who do you rank most under pressure?

Last edited:
Best 22 no injuries the next best by line.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Duggan

HB: Hurn McGovern Jetta

C: Gaff Sheed. Redden

HF: Venables Darling Cripps

FF: Rioli Kennedy Ryan

Fol: Hickey Shuey Yeo

Int: Vardy, Waterman, O Allen, Cole

Emg: Masten, Ah chee, Schofield, Nelson, Hutchings

Some really solid emergencies / injury cover here:thumbsu:

Depth ready to go in 2019: Brander, Watson, M Allen, Smith, Brooksby, Williams, Petrocelle, Ainsworth

Learn what exactly?

Masten heading North of 30. We have a gaggle of young players pushing for a place in the side. That is list evolution and it happens every year.

Go list who is ranked where. Masto needs to keep playing at his best or others will overtake his output and hurt factor.

I have supported Masten more often than not but he and Hutchings are the two current best 22 mids under the most pressure.

You’re looking at it from an individualistic standpoint.

The day we change from a game plan that requires gut runners like Gaff and Masten is the day he comes under real pressure.

Saw a suggestion of Waterman replacing him - how about he proves he can play the role at WAFL first?

Learn what exactly?

I think Hutchings is reasonably secure. He was important for us in the second half of the season.

You’re looking at it from an individualistic standpoint.

The day we change from a game plan that requires gut runners like Gaff and Masten is the day he comes under real pressure.

Saw a suggestion of Waterman replacing him - how about he proves he can play the role at WAFL first?

Look at the side I picked as best 22.

Who are you dropping for Masten? Every one of the small forwards can play up the ground.

Are you saying Masten is under no pressure and he is not one of the more obvious mids under pressure?

If Gaff had of left then sure Masten retaining his spot would be likely, but he stayed.

Every season every sies best 22 change subtley.

The discussion here is what is likely to change in ours.

Look at the side I picked as best 22.

Who are you dropping for Masten?

Are you saying Masten is under no pressure and he is not one of the more obvious mids under pressure?

If Gaff had of left then sure Masten retaining his spot would be likely, but he stayed.

Every season every sies best 22 change subtley.

The discussion here is what is likely to change in ours.
Your 22 has three talls on the bench. There’s an obvious flaw there.

This time next year we’ll be having the same discussion because Masto is entrenched. Good day.

Your 22 has three talls on the bench. There’s an obvious flaw there.

This time next year we’ll be having the same discussion because Masto is entrenched. Good day.

It wont even be discussed.

Injuries happen and that is how Masten will keep his spot.

But the point being discussed is who is vulnerable the most.

Obvious flaw!

Look at the four small forwards. All can play up the ground and have supported the midfield last season.

Put one medium tall on the field and Venables on the bench if it makes you happy.

So who does Masten keep out?
It wont even be discussed.

Injuries happen and that is how Masten will keep his spot.

But the point being discussed is who is vulnerable the most.
I said good day!

There is still an imperative, I believe, to get games into our young talls, even if they're not strictly best 22. Not sure how we do that exactly, but I reckon we want Brander, Allen and Waterman to all have a decent crack at senior footy at different stages in 2019. Let's imagine a scenario where our two preferred ruckmen, JK and Darling play every game. That won't happen but even in that event, we still need to get games into those young talls. I don't think we can just run them through the WAFL until there's an injury. We need to be more proactive than that.

It will be intriguing to see how we promote young depth in 2019 while still being as close as possible to our best. You could almost rotate them through a FP. I know people will say that makes us too tall but there needs to be a down payment on developing talls.

There is still an imperative, I believe, to get games into our young talls, even if they're not strictly best 22. Not sure how we do that exactly, but I reckon we want Brander, Allen and Waterman to all have a decent crack at senior footy at different stages in 2019. Let's imagine a scenario where our two preferred ruckmen, JK and Darling play every game. That won't happen but even in that event, we still need to get games into those young talls. I don't think we can just run them through the WAFL until there's an injury. We need to be more proactive than that.

It will be intriguing to see how we promote young depth in 2019 while still being as close as possible to our best. You could almost rotate them through a FP. I know people will say that makes us too tall but there needs to be a down payment on developing talls.
Can Brander pinch hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back