2019 Best 22! Guestimation

Remove this Banner Ad

He will get another 1 yr deal. Our midfield isnt that deep yet.

The only way he wont is if somehow we land Kelly AND Coniglio.

Tend to agree.

Soon to be 200 gamer, young family, been with the club for 10 years, form is average without being great.... He'll definitely get another year IMO.

Hi guys,

So obviously grand final hurt and as a pies supporter I should be hating Dom Sheed, but anyways...

Do you guys see Sheed being in your 1st choice inside midfield brigade? Shuey/Yeo takes up 2 spots, and Redden can be either inside or outside I believe. I see some of you not naming Sheed on the ball but surely he plays there permanently now that he's really lifted his performances?

Hi guys,

So obviously grand final hurt and as a pies supporter I should be hating Dom Sheed, but anyways...

Do you guys see Sheed being in your 1st choice inside midfield brigade? Shuey/Yeo takes up 2 spots, and Redden can be either inside or outside I believe. I see some of you not naming Sheed on the ball but surely he plays there permanently now that he's really lifted his performances?

If you're worried about his scoring ability for Supercoach I'd suggest 2019 will be similar to his 2018. Accumulating possessions has never been a problem for Sheed.

If you look at our flag side, come round 1 (ignoring Gaff suspension) we would expect OUT: Lycett, Lecras, Schofield, Venables IN: Gaff, Sheppard, Hickey, ??.

So there's a bit of a buffer for Sheed to retain his position. There's also not much pressure for his spot coming up from our young midfielders, so truth be told unless his form really drops off or he stops doing the team thing, I don't see him getting dropped.

Hi guys,

Bench spot rotating through the middle. Yeo, Redden, Shuey in front of him for starting line up. Masten and Gaff locks for wings but Sheed to play wing in the first couple of rounds while Gaff sees out the remainder of his suspension.

.also who can replace Hutchings as #1 Tagger?

Noone. He is the #1 tagger in the entire league. Safe as houses although it wouldnt surprise to see him get a rest at some stage this year in a game that Simmo wants all out midfield attack. Like against Gold Coast for instance.
We may see some of our young talls get a go in some away games if they start managing JK by resting him from some of the long trips.

Hi guys,

Was our 2nd best midfielder behind Redden for the last 5-6 games of the year.

Nelson definately. Just needs to build his endurance. Surprised to read that at training Nelson is rated one of our best kicks.

Haven't heard much about him this preseason. Really hope he can't step it up this year.

From someone I know who watches training and is involved in sponsorship of Eagles he said Alec Waterman is the one who looks the most improved and that he could play on a wing and that Josh Smith is doing well in match sims. Waterman has been trining on a wing according to him. Josh Smith avereraged 20 possessions in 2016. Could be very handy addition.

Last edited:
From someone I know who watches training and is involved in sponsorship of Eagles he said Alec Waterman is the one who looks the most improved and that he could play on a wing and that Josh Smith is doing well in match sims. Waterman has been trining on a wing according to him. Josh Smith avereraged 20 possessions in 2016. Could be very handy addition.
He’s done well to make it back onto the list. :)

He’s got the athleticism but I’m not sold Jake’s foot skills would be beneficial on the wing.

I think there is a place for a tall wingman who can take a grab to assist with outlet options from defence. Waterman could do that.
Before he got injured I was impressed by his ground coverage, marking and positioning.
This may allow Darling to not have to go so deep into defence and be there for the next kick into the forward 50 without the defence having time to set.
Even in the thumping of Melbourne there were times Darling would mark just outside the defensive 50, kick it to JK who would then have to hold it up while Darling sprinted forwards to compete.

I was always disappointed Staker never nailed that role properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is a place for a tall wingman who can take a grab to assist with outlet options from defence. Waterman could do that.
Before he got injured I was impressed by his ground coverage, marking and positioning.
This may allow Darling to not have to go so deep into defence and be there for the next kick into the forward 50 without the defence having time to set.
Even in the thumping of Melbourne there were times Darling would mark just outside the defensive 50, kick it to JK who would then have to hold it up while Darling sprinted forwards to compete.

I was always disappointed Staker never nailed that role properly.[/QUOT

Agree. But would also play Oscar on the opposite HFF. That way Waterman would have Rioli somewhere in the vicinity to crumb and Oscar would have Gaff on the opposite side.

Hurn Barrass Shep
Cole Gov Jetta
Gaff Yeo (Smith)
Hutch Darling Rioli
Ryan Kennedy Cripps

NN Shuey Sheed

Vardy Redden Duggan Venables

Hamish Brayshaw is the one to watch this season.

Yeah don't see Jake playing as a tall wingmen. If that was the aim, he would have trimmed down quite bit. I expect Allen, Waterman , Brander (if he plays forward) to roam down the ground quite a bit like JD does and that role requires a strong tank to do so.

Allen/Waterman duo for the two's could be something to watch. Can definitely see these two explode

Is it too optimistic to suggest Smith is pencilled in for R1? Particularly without Gaff's run.

Our fwd line is the most in flux i would say.
I feel like we are going to give Brander a fair bit of game time as he is really the only true key position fwd we have upcoming.

O Allen had a good game today which probably puts him ahead of Waterman who has had injuries. I see both right now as running types. Anyone think they can bulk up and play the toughest position in footy?

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back