Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox is no where near Duman in field kicking. Logue will 100% be in that group by year’s end. Cox is good for a KPP - No more, no less. Logue has the potential to be elite - his combination of athleticism, body size and skills don’t grow on trees. He’s just got to learn the to read the game a bit better and he’s a gun.

Anyway can anyone show me any evidence why Cox will be anything but average as a key defender? Because I might be missing something but he’s a much better forward from what I’ve seen. I don’t watch much WAFL but in terms of AFL I reckon I’ve watched every game he’s played. Why does the club consistently move him to the defence the start of every preseason despite him looking a much better forward?

His goalkicking is some of the worst seen in the AFL since John Butcher retired. That's probably the main reason.

You can't realistically afford to have someone who kicks that badly in your forward line if you're serious about winning games. It was fine last year when we were more focused on development than wins, but IMO he won't be playing forward much in the future unless he shows serious improvement in that area.

His goalkicking is some of the worst seen in the AFL since John Butcher retired. That's probably the main reason.

You can't realistically afford to have someone who kicks that badly in your forward line if you're serious about winning games. It was fine last year when we were more focused on development than wins, but IMO he won't be playing forward much in the future unless he shows serious improvement in that area.

He already improved massively last season in that regard.

51.4% goal accuracy in 2018... better than Ballas, Walters, Tabs, McCarthy, Matera, Mundy... So higher than everyone in our side who kicked 10 goals or more last season. A massive improvement from 23.5% in 2017. Can we ask much more from a 19yo KPF? I don't think anyone would seriously debate he can't improve his set shot goal kicking further but geez that's some impressive improvement in one season.

The whole premiers last year thing really made people forget any footy existed didn't it?

Yeah I wouldn't be crowing too much about the improvement, nice though it is. You get thrown in the deep end in your first year, end up with shots in all parts of the ground while you learn the game plan. Lousey conversion probably to be expected. Wouldn't have even been confident about whether he'd be getting a game forward or back either. But last year's results are damn fine, and clearly shows he has the ability to slot them.

We have a small clutch of forwards who need to show what else they bring to add to Hogan and Lobb. There is a fair bit of difference in playing style between Taberner, Cox, McCarthy and Dixon, but realistically only one slot for the lot of them. Cox's marking couple with his ability to go back is handy.

You missed last season?

Still think that Cox is a backup player.

As others have said, you wouldn’t pick him ahead of Lobb, Hogan or Tabener for the forward line. Nor would he get picked ahead of Hamling or Pearce. You might pick him ahead of Logie, which I doubt. But that assumes we will take three talls in defence.
But assuming you did consider dropping one of the above six for him I would speak against it. Especially in defence. He has average endurance and the turning circle of the titanic. He would have to take the least mobile forward and hope for the best. In that all of Hambling, Pearce and Logue are way ahead of him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Regardless of the stats, I can still recall on more than a few occasions Cox missing set shots from 20 out last year.
How can you disregard the stats? That doesn't make any sense.

It is not like he missed some sodas from 20m straight in front in a close final. Also fairly sure he wasn't the only player to miss easy shots last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people forget how long it takes KPF's to come on. Cox has been fantastic considering he had to be our focal point in attack for most of last year AND we suck AND he was 19.

The guy won our best young player award ahead of AB and Cerra.

Personally I think he already does more than Tabs (there is more to being a forward than taking a contested grab and kicking goals) and I am pretty confident he'll be far ahead of him come the start of next season

I think people forget how long it takes KPF's to come on. Cox has been fantastic considering he had to be our focal point in attack for most of last year AND we suck AND he was 19.

The guy won our best young player award ahead of AB and Cerra.

Personally I think he already does more than Tabs (there is more to being a forward than taking a contested grab and kicking goals) and I am pretty confident he'll be far ahead of him come the start of next season
Fully agree. I think the conversation is driven by a few things things;
  • he's got that laconic style about him.
  • he made a name as a CHB despite having played as a forward as well.
  • we have 5 legitimate tall forward contenders ready to go, but only three will ever be selected (this includes McCarthy, but does not include the emerging Dixon).
  • some posters think we need another KPD on the list (I don't agree, but can see the argument).
  • he has had some history of not being a brilliant shot for goal.
At the end of the year we may be in the bizarre situation of discussing whether a trade out of a KPP may be on the cards. If Dixon comes on then we are in a situation where that should be considered.

Last edited:
Fully agree. I think the conversation is driven by a few things things;
  • he's got that laconic style about him.
  • he made a name as a CHB despite having played as a forward as well.
  • we have 5 legitimate tall forward contenders ready to go, but only three will ever be selected (this includes McCarthy, but does not include the emerging Dixon).
  • some posters think we need another KPD on the list (I don't agree, but can see the argument).
  • he has had some history of not being a brilliant shot for goal.
At the end of the year we may be in the bizarre situation of discussing whether a trade out of a KPP may be on the cards. If Dixon comes on then we are in a situation where that should be considered.
I think we need a raw KPD purely for depth, Cox is clearly has too much talent to be a depth player. Logue, Hamling and Pearce is plenty tall enough down back for me

Solid lineup but no Banfield? He was the fifth highest in contested possessions last year and a top three tackler. His pressure and tagging will be a big asset this year as our mids adjust to a post Neale plan. With Bennell, Conca, Fyfe, and SHill injury history i can see BB continuing to grind it out in the midfield. I’m looking for a big step up for him in year two. Gotta give my buddy some love. Lol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree 100% with this.

For all the optimism around our youth and recruits I still have serious concerns about our ability to pressure opposition teams and consistently lay enough tackles to give our defenders a chance against the gun midfield teams.

It’s often the 1 percenters that seperate the good from the average teams and we have been woeful at times in the past two seasons. Particularly tackling, considering how often the opposition has had the ball.

I agree 100% with this.

For all the optimism around our youth and recruits I still have serious concerns about our ability to pressure opposition teams and consistently lay enough tackles to give our defenders a chance against the gun midfield teams.

It’s often the 1 percenters that seperate the good from the average teams and we have been woeful at times in the past two seasons. Particularly tackling, considering how often the opposition has had the ball.
We have tried to replace the foot soldier with better skilled players, but it has become out of balance. What you need
are the players that are skilled but also enjoy contact.
In his prime Balla, Crowley, Deboer, Suban, Mz, Mayne, Dawson, Spurr, had that hard edge, created stoppages.
Obviously the rules have changed, but some of our best footy was when we pushed the boundaries.
Langdon's chase and tackle in 018 is what needs to be highlighted.

I think many are choosing to leave Cox out because they feel our best 22 has enough talls already without him.
But I think Hogan, Lobb & Taberner up forward is a little deceiving.
Lobb and Taberner will likely be used as Sandi's backup ruckman (when he plays).
Hogan is a very mobile tall forward. Hogan averaged more disposals than any of the other 40+goal kickers in 2019.
So I can still see a spot for Cox being a great utility player. Starting in the forward zone and drifting down in defence as the 7th player providing the role as the tall intercept marker. He would be very hard for the opposition to match up on. And when forward, also very dangerous with Hogan and at least one other tall KPF taking the attention of the opposition defenders.
I know it's early days, but it's hard to believe that Freo, after struggling for tall forward options since Pav, may in 2019 have Hogan, Taberner, Lobb, Cox, Sandi and Fyfe roaming around there as quality marking options.

How about we go 4 or 5 talls forwards and have 1 or 2 small forwards as floaters whos job is to get to every contest.
Follows the principal of you only need one tackler and it is that first tackle to create a stoppage that is important.
Bit of left field thinking.

How about we go 4 or 5 talls forwards and have 1 or 2 small forwards as floaters whos job is to get to every contest.
Follows the principal of you only need one tackler and it is that first tackle to create a stoppage that is important.
Bit of left field thinking.
Never heard of that principle. Don't like it either. I much prefer the principle that everyone on the field must put pressure on their opponent when they have the ball.

We have tried to replace the foot soldier with better skilled players, but it has become out of balance. What you need
are the players that are skilled but also enjoy contact.
In his prime Balla, Crowley, Deboer, Suban, Mz, Mayne, Dawson, Spurr, had that hard edge, created stoppages.
Obviously the rules have changed, but some of our best footy was when we pushed the boundaries.
Langdon's chase and tackle in 018 is what needs to be highlighted.
Banfield, Crowden, Conca, Hughes, Valente, North, Duman, Nyhuis. I'm not sure exactly what a foot soldier is, but that list of players I see as blokes who can be asked to do a task, rather than players who are likely to be first picked by position. They may be asked to sacrifice their own game for the good of the team. Assist a play-maker rather than be the play-maker.

I’ve thought we didn’t play enough forwards, an excess of midfielders and about the right number of defenders the last few years. We were often shoehorning midfielders into positions they didn’t suit. On that basis; I’m picking 7/7/7 and a ruckman. Obviously some players can be multi-positional.

Ruckman: Sandilands, Darcy, Jones or Meek. I just can’t bring myself to call Darcy a forward. He’s clearly a ruckman. And I think we become too tall and lumbering with our other acquisitions. I’d only play one pure ruckman.

Backs: 7 of Pearce, Hamling, Wilson, Ryan, Hughes, Kersten, Logue, Watson, Conca, Duman, Nyhuis, Carter.

Mids: 7 of Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, B.Hill, S.Hill, Cerra, Brayshaw, Tucker, Banfield, Valente, Giro, Bewley, North, Crowden.

Forwards: 7 of Hogan, Lobb, Walters, Taberner, Cox, Ballantyne, Colyer, Bennell, McCarthy, Sturt, Matera, Dixon, Schultz, Switkowski.

We are a bit light on for depth in the defenders though there are a number of options that could go back, Shill, Cerra, Blakeley, Cox ...but I prefer they didn’t.

My 22:
Sandilands
Backs: Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Wilson, Ryan, Kersten, Conca
Mids: Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, B.Hill, E.Langdon, Cerra, Brayshaw
Forwards: Lobb, Hogan, Walters, Taberner, Colyer, Switkowski, McCarthy

The Peel team would be light on for height in the back line.

A few oddities; selected Kersten. Purely for kicking skills. Kersten is a booming accurate kick.

Selected Conca, despite making a call on kicking skills with Kersten. Just can’t see him being left out.

No Ballantyne or Matera. I’ve gone for straight line pace, both Colyer and Swit would burn them off. Not only that, both Colyer and Swit have huge tanks. Sick of seeing our small forwards blowing up and getting benched.

McCarthy over Cox, straight line pace and kicking skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back