Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just throwing something out there - Most have 4 midfielders on the bench and no KPP with Cox as emergency. Wouldn't we be better off with some taller backup for injuries and rotations on the bench or would this negatively affect the running power/ midfield rotations too much? Cox looks like he'll (hopefully) become a very handy swingman, would be my choice on the bench (if not listed on the ground) rather than 4 dedicated midfielders. Thoughts?

Here's how I see the round 1 team panning out, it assumes Sandilands, Bennell, S Hill and Blakely are out injured.

FB:. Ryan, Hamling, Wilson
HB: Cerra, Pearce, Logue
C: B Hill, Mundy, Langdon
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw
HF: Taberner, Hogan, Walters
FF: Switkowski, Lobb, Colyer
IC: Duman, Bewley, Banfield, Conca
Emergency from: Tucker, Meek, Cox, Matera, McCarthy, Nyhuis

Pretty much same for me. I think Tucker might be ahead of Banfield and I'd have Tabs as our deepest forward.

If you are designing your bench based on potential injuries then you're already on the back foot thinking about saving games rather than winning them.

If you are a tall and not on the field at the start then you shouldn't be in the team imo.

If you are designing your bench based on potential injuries then you're already on the back foot thinking about saving games rather than winning them.

If you are a tall and not on the field at the start then you shouldn't be in the team imo.

What about if the bloke could be our best player after Fyfe starts to decline plus he's pretty quick and no slouch at ground level

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's how I see the round 1 team panning out, it assumes Sandilands, Bennell, S Hill and Blakely are out injured.

R: Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw
HF: Taberner, Hogan, Walters
FF: Switkowski, Lobb, Colyer
IC: Duman, Bewley, Banfield, Conca
Emergency from: Tucker, Meek, Cox, Matera, McCarthy, Nyhuis

That's my 22 except I have Matera in for Duman. Would like to squeeze in Cam and Tucker but just can't see how.

Hogan , Lobb and Tabs is the preferred fwd set up of 99% of the teams in here but that looks horrible to me ... kick 14 but cost you 18 even North will bounce it out with little trouble and they have the worst running defenders in the comp Tabs and Lobb are too cumbersome to have in the same forward line and Hogan has never been admired for his defensive qualities. If we have to have all 3 in the side ruck Lobb and Tabs and leave out Darcy. McCarthy or Cox might be OK in the 3rd spot if they strip fitter than last year and have been given a bit of a rocket

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's my 22 except I have Matera in for Duman. Would like to squeeze in Cam and Tucker but just can't see how.

I see Matera & Cam browsing out at Peel, till they really push for Seniors inclusion. They both need a massive boot up the Khyber, as they have shown themselves to be lazy and until they show me otherwise, Rushton Park is a better place for them.

Please can we this year have the policy of players coming up from Peel in top form, no coaches friends.

I see Matera & Cam browsing out at Peel, till they really push for Seniors inclusion. They both need a massive boot up the Khyber, as they have shown themselves to be lazy and until they show me otherwise, Rushton Park is a better place for them.

Please can we this year have the policy of players coming up from Peel in top form, no coaches friends.

I would normally agree but I think Brandon has put in a strong pre-season. Switta and Matera were singled out by Taberner - sounds like they will both be there in Rd 1.

If you had to have a tall play small, wouldn't Logue's athleticism make him a better match than Duman?
Logue's athletic advantages over Duman are his leap and his strength neither make playing on smalls much easier and both make him prime for playing on talls. I guess the argument could be 'let's play Cox as the 3rd tall and Logue on smalls' and I don't think that's too far off happening. From the match simulation I've seen Cox seems to play 3rd tall in the probables team with Logue in the possibles. For now, on paper, I prefer Logue on talls and Duman on smalls but Cox is a beacon winner, one of the best KPP we have drafted in the last 10 years and won't want to be playing at peel all year.

Logue's athletic advantages over Duman are his leap and his strength neither make playing on smalls much easier and both make him prime for playing on talls. I guess the argument could be 'let's play Cox as the 3rd tall and Logue on smalls' and I don't think that's too far off happening. From the match simulation I've seen Cox seems to play 3rd tall in the probables team with Logue in the possibles. For now, on paper, I prefer Logue on talls and Duman on smalls but Cox is a beacon winner, one of the best KPP we have drafted in the last 10 years and won't want to be playing at peel all year.
I haven't seen any evidence that the club/coach is thinking of playing 4 talls in defence. In fact I think they pretty much have the structure in place they want, and it includes Wilson, Ryan and a midfielder (most likely Conca/Cerra, but Blakely and SHill may find their way back into the side via that position too). Some posters may not like it, or think Cox "deserves" a spot, but from the club itself there doesn't seem to be anything supporting that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some posters may not like it, or think Cox "deserves" a spot, but from the club itself there doesn't seem to be anything supporting that.
Except this picture from a week or so ago which pretty clearly shows Cox alongside the core 4 (Hamling, Pearce, Ryan and Wilson) plus Duman as the "probable" back 6. If anything I think signs from the club are that Cox (and Duman) are ahead of Logue for round 1 but obviously plenty on here think "Logue" deserves a spot ;) Still plenty of pre-season to play out (eg JLT) to refine who fills the up-for-grab spots.

[IMG='width:400px;']https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/20190208_102609-jpg.616434/[/IMG]

Except this picture from a week or so ago which pretty clearly shows Cox alongside the core 4 (Hamling, Pearce, Ryan and Wilson) plus Duman as the "probable" back 6. If anything I think signs from the club are that Cox (and Duman) are ahead of Logue for round 1 but obviously plenty on here think "Logue" deserves a spot ;) Still plenty of pre-season to play out (eg JLT) to refine who fills the up-for-grab spots.

I agree with this, until we see JLT and how things look in some form of a match, albeit a mickey mouse match, I'd be pretending if I said I know who will play round 1 (or even what our ideal best 22 is if all were fit and available)

[IMG='width:400px;']https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/20190208_102609-jpg.616434/[/IMG]
I still don't see anything to suggest that the club won't maintain its preferred structure of 3 talls, Wilson and Ryan, and a midfielder/defender. Getting every player involved during training games doesn't change that. Preferring Cox to Logue also doesn't change that.

Round 1 to me will be something like this
FB - Ryan Hamling Cox
HB - Wilson A.Pearce Cerra
C - Billy Mundy Langdon
HF - Walters Hogan Banfield
FF - Matera Tabs Lobb
Fol - Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe
Int - Duman Conca Colyer Tucker

Would like to see Switowksi, Bewley and Logue given a run which still seems fairly realistic as those spots would still be up for grabs. Depth does look pretty decent when you think we're squeezing out guys we want in with Sandi, Hill, Blakely and Bennell all on the side.

Ryan. Hamling. Logue

Wilson. Pearce. Hill

Hill. Fyfe. Langdon

Mundy. McCarthy Cerra

Walters. Hogan. Lobb

Darcy. Blakey. Brayshaw

Conca. Tucker colyer. matera

[FONT=.SFUIText]Hoping big years from McCarthy Tucker & matera[/FONT]

R: Darcy, Fyfe, Walters
HF: Taberner, Hogan, Banfield
FF: Switkowski, Lobb, Schultz
IC: North, Conca, Brayshaw, Duman

Just taking a slightly different look at it, with a bit of an emphasis on young midfielders performing well;
Cerra and Banfield pretty much automatic selections, and I think Banfield should be there too.
Games into North please, asap.
Schultz and Switkowski look a likely combination to create some havoc forward.

Sounds as if Bewley had a bit of a disappointing game, so I have held him back, preferring Duman.

Just taking a slightly different look at it, with a bit of an emphasis on young midfielders performing well;
Cerra and Banfield pretty much automatic selections, and I think Banfield should be there too.

Sounds as if Bewley had a bit of a disappointing game, so I have held him back, preferring Duman.

Duman barely rated a mention. Bewley won the game off his own boot?

Duman barely rated a mention. Bewley won the game off his own boot?
Yep. I'm not convinced about either, and was the last of my choices. Would happily have gone for Giro, Tucker, Hughes. I don't think kicking the last goal rates highly though. Bewley needs to actually earn his spot, and has time to do that.

Yep. I'm not convinced about either, and was the last of my choices. Would happily have gone for Giro, Tucker, Hughes. I don't think kicking the last goal rates highly though. Bewley needs to actually earn his spot, and has time to do that.
Duman was pretty handy yesterday. Much more influence than Bewley.

Rd 1:
B Logue Hamling Ryan
HB Cerra Pearce Wilson
C Langdon Mundy B Hill
HF Matera Hogan Colyer
F Switowski Taberner Lobb
R Darcy Fyfe Walters
I Conca Banfield Brayshaw _________

From everything I have seen (including what players/ coaches have been saying), and barring more injuries, I feel like the 21 players above are likely to be selected for round 1. The final player could be anyone.

Matera probably not that popular from BF supporters but I think he will have first crack at one of the small forward roles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this side.
Three very good pressure forwards in there with the big blokes.
Banfield could end up being a Josh Caddy type who is taller and strong and hard to match up on. Could end up kicking 3s and 4s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back