Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

correct forgot about him he gonna be thrown into midfield I saw a presser of ross stating so
I think he also likes griffen logue into midfield
meaning hopefully cox goes back to his natural intercept marking backman
hugh Dixon is full forward and Hogan and tabs as mobile lead up the ground big men

If he plays Cox as a backman I think he should be sacked. We are desperate for some forwards.

You're crazy Mickey. He's 26 and has come a long way. Hard worker, loves the club and has proven a lot of people wrong. If we got Lobb & Hogan I'd still select him before them in my B22.

Thank * you aren't picking the team then

Wilson Hammling Nyhius \ Duman
L.Ryan Pearce Logue
B.Hill Blakey Langdon
Cox Tabener Walters
Matera Lobb Cerra

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Conca Banfield S.Hill
Switkowski

nope play the youth in 3 years time in our premiership window banfield will be better than conca

Wilson Hammling Nyhius \ Duman
L.Ryan Pearce Logue
B.Hill Blakey Langdon
Cox Tabener Walters
Matera Lobb Cerra

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Conca Banfield S.Hill
Switkowski
Crowden would need to force that in my opinion, whereas Banfield probably earnt it.

I think North could force his way in as well, ahead of Crowden. Plus you have got to assume that pick 6 (Smith/Rozee) will play virtually every game possible.

Every ****ing off and pre season I spend way too much time trying to formulate a best 22 and every ****ing year get my hopes up that that is the group of players who will line up round 1. Then realise 10 of them are already on the injury list (exaggerated for dramatic effect), tear my hair out that our depth isn't quite up to it but reason with myself that those missing players will come good later in the season and we'll finally see my best 22 on the park all together and smashing the opposition. And most do come back but are then replaced on the injury list by another 10+ players from said B22. So I'm done with preparing any more best 22s until our strength and conditioning team can get at least 20 of them on the park at the same time, like all the top teams seem to be able to do! In the meantime I'll be focussing on my 2019 Realistic 22 where at least half of Fyfe/Walters/SHill/BHill/Blakely/Pearce aren't available at any given time.

/rant

Every ****ing off and pre season I spend way too much time trying to formulate a best 22 and every ****ing year get my hopes up that that is the group of players who will line up round 1. Then realise 10 of them are already on the injury list (exaggerated for dramatic effect), tear my hair out that our depth isn't quite up to it but reason with myself that those missing players will come good later in the season and we'll finally see my best 22 on the park all together and smashing the opposition. And most do come back but are then replaced on the injury list by another 10+ players from said B22. So I'm done with preparing any more best 22s until our strength and conditioning team can get at least 20 of them on the park at the same time, like all the top teams seem to be able to do! In the meantime I'll be focussing on my 2019 Realistic 22 where at least half of Fyfe/Walters/SHill/BHill/Blakely/Pearce aren't available at any given time.

/rant
Luckily with drafting Conca he can take one of the injured player spots, and free up another player to be available on game day.

In an optimistic world where we land Hogan, Lobb and Langdon on top of Conca....

T. Langdon Hamling Logue
Ryan Pearce Wilson
B. Hill Blakely S. Hill
E. Langdon Hogan Walters
Matera Cox Lobb
Sandilands Brayshaw Fyfe
Conca Banfield Cerra Mundy

Obligatory who have I missed?

In an optimistic world where we land Hogan, Lobb and Langdon on top of Conca....

Obligatory who have I missed?

New:

B: T. Langdon Hamling S. Hill
HB: Ryan Pearce Wilson
C: B. Hill Blakely E. Langdon
HF: Tabbs Hogan Walters
F: Matera Cox Lobb
R: Sandilands Brayshaw Fyfe
I: Conca Cerra Mundy 2018 1st rd draft pick (if we end up with one!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trading out 6 for 11 plus extra screams to me that freo want ian hill
if we lose Neale which I think we will pick five is to good to pass up especially in this draft that's why it will get done because freo want it to go through as well
freo will pick smith
our best 22 then is

FB duman hamling ryan
HB Wilson Pearce Shill
C Bhill Brayshaw Langdon
HF mundy tabs walters
FF Ihill lobb cox
Ruck; Darcy fyfe cerra
Bench; Blakely smith logue conca

I believe ross will pick conca in squad before banfield but I think premiership windows in 2 seasons time so I want him to play banfield
ross also indicated he wanted logue and duman rotating through midfield next season
he also said he wanted midfielders therefore I made the bench all player who will play though midfield plus multi positional player already on ground in walters, mundy, Shill, duman, lobb and tabs as ruck, and Ihill as a winger but cannot see him taking a starting position inside centre square

FB: Duman, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Wilson, Pearce, Blakely
C: B Hill, Brayshaw, S Hill
HF: Mundy, Hogan, McCarthy
FF: Walters, Lobb, Taberner
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Cerra
I/C: Matera, Conca, Cox, Langdon
EMG: Banfield, Grey, Hughes, Ballantyne (just)

FB: Duman, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Wilson, Pearce, Blakely
C: B Hill, Brayshaw, S Hill
HF: Mundy, Hogan, McCarthy
FF: Walters, Lobb, Taberner
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Cerra
I/C: Matera, Conca, Cox, Langdon
EMG: Banfield, Grey, Hughes, Ballantyne (just)
Not bad at all. I'd probably switch Cerra and Blakely, and probably pick Banfield ahead of Matera. Tucker/Darcy ahead of Ballas/Grey on emergency list.

We need more speed in our team. I think Duman and Switkowski need to play.

Mundy and SHill are starters on the ball with lots of minutes given to Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw.

Sandi starts but Darcy plays if he's dominating at Peel.

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Hamling
HB: Wilson, Cox, Duman
C: B Hill, Mundy, Langdon
HF: Cerra, Hogan, Walters
FF: Switkowski, Tabs, Lobb
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, SHill
I/C: Brayshaw, Blakely, Banfield, Clark

With our forward and ruck stocks looking secure and a defensive structure that’s been taking shape - it’s clear now our midfield has become our weakest commodity.

Neale’s gone, Mundy’s likely got year left (2 if his body holds up). Bennell’s been a non-entity Nd the Hill brothers have been a mixed bag of injuries and form. So what do we need to do right?

- Fyfe to continue his Brownlow form.
- Blakely to develop exclusively as an inside-mid.
- Langdon to keep working tough on the outside
- Faith in Cerra and Brayshaw to continue playing consistently. Hopefully by 2020 they’re settled midfielders (although not at peak form)
- Shill to overcome injuries and form
- Bhill to improve his disposal
- Conca, Banfield and Grey (if he gets a contract) to continue playing their specified roles.
- Further investment in Giro, North and Switowski.
- Bennell to get on the field

I think if we can get around 2/3rds of those needs addressed we will be far more competitive than this year. I think Grey is a required player, but I think Sheridan and Sutcliffe still need to be cut loose.

I think we’re still going to aim for Ian Hill - Ballantyne has a year left and even Walters is looking at the other side of his peak. The other picks will be spent on midfielders who won’t be playing much next year so hopefully we can invest strongly with what we have.

After Trade Week

Logue, Hamling, Ryan
Wilson, Pearce, Conca
Hill, Blakely, Langdon
Walters, Hogan, McCarthy
Banfield, Lobb, Matera

Darcy/Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy
Hill, Cox, Brayshaw, Cerra

B: LOGUE, HAMLING, RYAN
HB: S HILL, PEARCE, WILSON
C: LANGDON, BLAKELY, B HILL
HF: MUNDY, HOGAN, COX
F: SWITTA/BALLAS, LOBB, WALTERS

R: SANDILANDS, FYFE, CERRA

I/C: CONCA, TABERNER, BRAYSHAW, BANFIELD

If BENNELL fit, start at HF and MUNDY on the interchange for Banfield

EMERGENCIES: DARCY, TUCKER, DUMAN, DIXON, MATERA

Now that the trade periods up I'm thinking

B: Duman, Hamling, Ryan
HB: S.Hill, Pearce, Wilson
C: Langdon, Blakely, B Hill
HF: Cerra, Hogan, Cox
FF: Switta, Lobb, Walters

R: Darcy, Fyfe, Mundy

I/C: Conca, Banfield, Logue, Brayshaw

I have no idea where Colyer falls in the team. Bennell, Tabs and Crowden all are unlucky omissions. Wouldn't mind Sandi's game time at a low

Ideally if Pick 14 is Ian Hill he gets a few games to fast track his development as a forward, same goes for Jordan Clark/Stocker/Other Potential Pick 14's.

If we pick up someone ie Marlion Pickett or Jye Bolton they could possibly be best 22

Post Trade Period

FB
- Nyhuis Hamling Wilson
HB - Ryan Pearce Logue
C - B Hill Blakely Langdon
R - Darcy Fyfe S Hill
HF - Walters Hogan Taberner
FF - Switkowski Lobb Ballantyne
IC - Conca Brayshaw Cerra Mundy

The only possible swaps I predict would be Cox / Duman > Logue or Sandilands > Darcy, otherwise I feel like this is what we'll select R1.

It feels like for the first time in a long time, we will have decent depth and cover for injuries.

Back: Duman, Kersten, Hughes & Cox
Forward: Cox & McCarthy
Small Forwards: Matera
Utility: Tucker & Crowden
Middle: Colyer, Giro, Banfield & North
Ruck: Apeness & Jones

Keen to go in more detail when the list is finalized / draft period is actually over.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back