Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Dalmas

All Australian
AFL Club
Fremantle
How different do you think the match committee's side would be, everyone available as with yours?

My thoughts are that they would be quite similar;

Would be decisions to make regarding the forward line (primarily Taberner versus Cox), and I think they prefer a running player to the more defensive Nyhuis. Really Ballantyne needs to force his name into the calculations at this stage. For me he is a non starter.
I think you are right regarding Nyhuis and Match Committee. For me, if Logue settles in OK I think he will probably be a bit of an offensive, running defender. I don't see him just sitting back on his man once he builds a little bit of confidence. If that happens then I think Wilson and Ryan, supported by Pearce and Logue will provide enough drive behind the ball.

So if that happens, then:

- I'd value Nyhuis's defending more than Duman or Hughes's offense

- we can release Cerra to play forward and midfield. I would love to see him play in front of the ball and get creative. From his draft year I can remember guys like Rayner saying how great it is to lead to his kicks. If half-backs can get the ball to him at half-forward then we may see quite a few kicks to advantage of our talls.

If Cerra plays mid-forward, then I would play Walters in the pocket. He is quality there and crumbing to Hogan and Lobb could easily get back to being a 40+ goals a year player. 40+ out of both Walters and Hogan and we are right in the mix for finals.

Lots of ifs though!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think you are right regarding Nyhuis and Match Committee. For me, if Logue settles in OK I think he will probably be a bit of an offensive, running defender. I don't see him just sitting back on his man once he builds a little bit of confidence. If that happens then I think Wilson and Ryan, supported by Pearce and Logue will provide enough drive behind the ball.

So if that happens, then:

- I'd value Nyhuis's defending more than Duman or Hughes's offense

- we can release Cerra to play forward and midfield. I would love to see him play in front of the ball and get creative. From his draft year I can remember guys like Rayner saying how great it is to lead to his kicks. If half-backs can get the ball to him at half-forward then we may see quite a few kicks to advantage of our talls.

If Cerra plays mid-forward, then I would play Walters in the pocket. He is quality there and crumbing to Hogan and Lobb could easily get back to being a 40+ goals a year player. 40+ out of both Walters and Hogan and we are right in the mix for finals.

Lots of ifs though!
I think you have just mapped out the pathway the club sees for Cerra's development. I am certain they don't see him at HBF long term.

wayToGo_

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just some left field thinking post JLT1 and ahead of JLT2...
  • Think they should consider trying Hughes on a wing. One of probably only three decent kicks inside 50 on Monday (and whilst having Stephenson on his hammer), the other two by Brad Hill. Certainly has the endurance, speed and athleticism, strong mark, strong body, brings some height (which other options don't have) and it might unleash the attacking flair he showed when he started with us at Peel (off half back) and he had before that at SD prior to being drafted. Also gives him a bit more space to work in - which I think he flourishes in. He could still drop back to assist defence and be an intercept option (he had 2nd most intercepts after Pearce in JLT1).
  • I'd probably push Duman into consideration for the wing also. He looked good there in his first year for Peel - was close to BOG in the WAFL Grand Final paying mostly from the wing. Used his speed and composure to good effect. Delivered some lace out i50s, good on transition and can kick a goal from outside 50 (like Hughes can also - not that he is allowed to).
  • I'm also not against training Bewley up as a half back. He played off half back at VFL and the knock on him was his defensive abilities but the same was said of Luke Ryan and now he's quite strong defensively. Would provide strong cover if Ryan or Wilson went down and can you ever have enough good long kicks in your back line?
  • I'm hoping (and quite certain) we're building Carter to be a speedy half back under the tutelage of Roger Hayden as well. We really need some speed in our back half to defend against quick small forwards. Carter has excellent speed, good agility, decent height and could bring some extra run out of defence. Needs to work on his disposal but has that speed to get out of trouble like the Hills. Similar attributes to Nyhuis in many ways, who I won't mind seeing get an opportunity in JLT2 - either as a lock down defender or as a defensive forward - maybe a bit of both?
  • I'd throw Cerra in the middle in JLT2. Even if he ends back at half back come round 1, him getting his hands on the pill in a competitive environment will get him involved and give him plenty of confidence heading into the regular season. I'd look at what Conca and Bewley could bring from half back amongst the rest of the back line instead.
  • Can we just rip the bandaid off with Ballas already? We need to try out our future (ie younger) small forward options. He seems immune from the axe and I just don't get it. Shultz was brilliant in the intraclub and deserved to play JLT1, so should definitely play JLT2. I hope we get to see McCarthy in amongst better talls as well assuming Switkowski is injured.
  • If we play Crowden in JLT2 we should throw him on ball just to see what we've got. If we are just going to plonk him in the forward line or on a wing then I wouldn't bother playing him. I personally think he is one of those players that works better in congestion - immense pressure, tackling machine, firing out a handball, spreading for an outlet pass, and kicking inside 50... Like Tucker, I think he gets lost in too much space.

AFL Club
Fremantle
where does Sandi fit into this?
Would imagine if Sandi was fully fit he'd have first crack. Think Ross spoke about the need to manage both him and Darcy at some point this off-season though, meaning we'd be rotating which one is playing - would love to tell you who plays how much but your guess is as good as mine. Sandi looks a long way off though.

Ysaye

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My current take on best 22 (ignoring Sandi and Bennell for reasons) is:

• Backline: Pearce, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson, Logue, and Blakely - Pearce and Hamling get the best forwards, with Pearce probably better placed to blanket any really dangerous small forwards. I think I am with others here in that Blakely (whilst definitely a strong centreman) has also developed into a good backman that can rotate to tag or to the midfield, and I would back others to do close to the same job as Blakely in the midfield. I think Logue's aggressiveness and physical attributes make him suited to the half back line to cover medium or third talls; conscious of the running debate on having lock downs, I think with him, Pearce and Hamling that is enough defensive pressure.
  • Midfield: Darcy, Fyfe, S. Hill, B. Hill, Conca and Brayshaw - I am backing Brayshaw (just over Tucker) and Conca (over Banfield) in to be in the first picked midfield this year; I think Brayshaw with his positioning, workrate and athletic ability is going to be more than useful in the middle feeding it out to the others. There is an argument to have Langdon in but then that is a really really poor disposing midfield. I also wonder about maybe having Banfield again as a full time lock-down tagger (I really like him in and only in this particular role), but maybe that will also be part of Conca's role.
  • Forward-line: Hogan, Lobb, Walters, Cox, Mundy and Cerra - Only part of this group have really played together but I think Walters, Mundy and Cerra are the high or crumbing highly skilled forward midfielders with Hogan also going high often, whilst Lobb and Cox are deep (with Lobb as back up ruck). I haven't gone with a permanent small forward as none currently stand out as being better than going with a forward/midfielder. Taberner and Cox are borderline for the third tall forward line - I would go with Cox based on last year's and JLT form, better field kicking and greater flexibility, however I reserve the right to change my decision.
  • The interchange: Langdon, Banfield, Tucker, Switkowski - Interchange is full of grunt and strong run (particularly Langdon and Banfield), and some footskills with Switkowski and Tucker.

For the start of the season, Blakely, S. Hill and Switkowski won't be there, so I see Langdon and Tucker into the first 18 and Matera, Colyer and Giro brought up as they have the edge in terms of experience and maybe form as well over Duman, Hughes, Bewley and Shultz (Shultz is more unknown at this stage and could be a dark horse - just being a little conservative). Alternatively, if you like what you have seen of Cox in defence, then you might put him back in place of Blakely and go with Taberner in the forward line instead of Giro, as arguably he is more in form than any of those three.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best 22 - still a spot up for grabs

FB: Duman Pearce Hamling
HB: Wilson Logue Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Hill B
HF: Mundy Cox Hill S
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
R: Darcy Blakely Brayshaw
Int: Cerra Conca Banfield ???

Rd 1 at this stage.

FB: Duman Pearce Nyhuis
HB: Wilson Hamling Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Cerra
HF: Mundy Hogan Giro
FF: Walters Lobb Schultz
R: Darcy Tucker Brayshaw
Int: Banfield Conca Hughes Crowden North

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

_007_

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Blakely
S Hill Mundy B Hill
Walters Hogan Langdon
Schultz Cox Switkowski

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Lobb Cerra Conca Tucker

Bit of a different forward structure based on nothing but hopes and dreams regarding Schultz.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Blakely
S Hill Mundy B Hill
Walters Hogan Langdon
Schultz Cox Switkowski

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Lobb Cerra Conca Tucker

Bit of a different forward structure based on nothing but hopes and dreams regarding Schultz.
Don't mind it, but would expect Lobb more in the starting forward line (can't get away with 2 rucks rotating from the bench). All for powering up the forward line given both Langdon and Walters will rotate midfield.

heavho

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
With switkowski and Logue having minor hamstrings does that rule them out for round one ? With not being able to judge them in what is now the dress rehearsal etc

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
With switkowski and Logue having minor hamstrings does that rule them out for round one ? With not being able to judge them in what is now the dress rehearsal etc
I think they are not available. We can cover Logue with any of Duman, Nyhuis or Cox, pending match-ups. Switkowski is the one who will hurt assuming he is not available.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
For round 1 reckon we will see something like...

Hughes Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Cerra
B. Hill Mundy Langdon
Matera Hogan Walters
McCarthy Lobb Ballantyne
Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe
Banfield Conca Colyer Tucker

AFL Club
Fremantle
I am a bit worried Cerra is shaping to have a 2nd-year blues type year. I'm also on the same wavelength as everyone else that he shouldnt be near the backline. Yes, he had his best games there last year but he has genuine fwd craft which we could obviously use up there. He's also not the best defensively (which ironically, is likely why he's being played there).

Hoping he gets considerable more on-ball time come the season proper then JLT1 and 2

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez, Rd 1 team is so hard to pick with all of the players now unavailable.

FB: Duman Pearce Nyhuis
HB: Wilson Hamling Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Cerra
HF: Mundy Hogan Giro
FF: Walters Lobb Schultz
R: Darcy Tucker Brayshaw
Int: Banfield Conca Hughes Crowden North

wild side

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hughes looks to have the makings of a real strong, aggressive inside mid. Watch the first 5 minutes of the last quarter back and the way he steams forward and attacks the footy really shines. Reminds me a fair bit of Yeo actually watching him.
He looks like he has some of the goods, but he can't kick nearly as well as Yeo

blue shark

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doesn’t have the natural footy nouse either. A very, very poor mans Elliot Yeo. All going well he may become Menegola like.
With all the injuries, and the others just kids maybe Hughes should be involved midfield. At least then we can add some
backbone with Nyhius?
Connor and Hughes have a similar pathway, and we need some bigger bodies, Hughes is also quick something missing with
rotations.

Top Bottom