Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

alright heres my say after gold coast

move McCarthy onto the wing play Langdon as a half forward, Langdon has the speed and McCarthy has the tank and elite kicking to go onto the wing.
walters isn't actually quick just cleaver and dangerous and isn't truly capable of shutting down a running half back like hanley, weller and harbrow so shift him to small forward and Langdon replaces him their.
lobs not a key forward just a good resting ruck with some mitts tabs is our full forward
this balances up our forward line

Langdon Hogan sturt
walters tabs lobb

I reckon sturt is our future half forward and I reckon our premiership window isn't 2019 cause we need development and another draft to fill some holes.

now onto midfield

a fit darcy whos done a gawn level 2016 pre season.
hill and McCarthy on the wings
fyfe in the guts obviously, but has poor defensive running bowes really opened him up multiple times
therefore a mid field with a big tank to run and find space, oh look theres an elite level runner called brayshaw whos out of form and down on confidence after being king hit. Brayshaw will develop but hes been put back 6 months imo.
cerra needs to develop into that inside outside midfield masterpiece. Look at develop his first two games have me convinced hes not their yet.

recap
C; hill cerra mccarthy
Ruck; darcy fyfe brayshaw

defence
on paper our best so why doesn't it gel reminds me of dangerwoodlet.
I like our key defensive posts pearce and hamling but pearce was weirdly fumbley on the weekend

Wilson running half back but needs a co conspirator looking at you carter.
cerras a waste at half back

FB; hamling
HB; carter pearce wilson

logue, ryan and hamling are all intercept markers which is not as effective with 666
Another thing small forwards constantly kick a bag on us, sexton, bloody sexton kicked 4 on us.
hamling is a good lock down on key forwards.

so I reckon ryan and logue as our back pockets leaves us unbalanced given that logue is taller and more athletic he gets the nod for me.

ryan in my opinion needs to become a TRADIONAL SMALL BACK POCKET PLAYER. Ryan is 88kg, if he lost 8 kg hed be more nimble and a better lock down small back. Leave the marking contests to hamling and logue your only 185cm settle down lad. I think this would go a long way to balancing our back line.
Mccarthy came back really fit this year and its playing dividends. do I like ryan as an interceptor sure but in the name of team balance transition his game and physique to a small defender.

FB; ryan hamling logue
HB; carter pearce wilson

bench
mundy
bewely
conca
tucker

interesting reading player bios
bewely
Brett Bewley is a former captain of the Western Jets who has spent the last five seasons playing for Williamstown in the VFL. Bewley has shown consistent improvement every year to become one of the premier running midfielders in the competition. The 23-year-old has been named in the VFL team of the year in the past two years and came second in Williamstown's best and fairest behind Liston Medal winner Michael Gibbons. Bewley is a beautiful penetrating kick of the football and led the VFL for effective long kicks in 2018, while also rating elite for uncontested possessions and inside 50s. He is strongly built but an outstanding endurance runner, equalling the yo-yo test record at the 2018 Victorian state combine. Bewley also displayed his impressive speed by recording a sub three-second time in the 20m sprint.

carter
Fremantle have secured Next Generation Academy product Jason Carter to their playing list, with the 18-year-old signing as a category B rookie on Friday. Hailing from Wyndham in the Kimberley, Carter is the first footballer from his hometown to be selected on an AFL list. The running defender/winger joined Fremantle’s NGA in 2016 following an impressive NAB AFL U16 Championships, where he was named All Australian. Injuries interrupted Carter’s 2017 season but he went on to be selected to represent WA at the NAB AFL U18 Championships in 2018. At the WA state combine, Carter recorded a 2.87 second 20m time, which was faster than any time recorded at the national combine.

two players with pace I want to see play please

bench
mundy
bewely
conca
tucker

interesting reading player bios
bewely
Brett Bewley is a former captain of the Western Jets who has spent the last five seasons playing for Williamstown in the VFL. Bewley has shown consistent improvement every year to become one of the premier running midfielders in the competition. The 23-year-old has been named in the VFL team of the year in the past two years and came second in Williamstown's best and fairest behind Liston Medal winner Michael Gibbons. Bewley is a beautiful penetrating kick of the football and led the VFL for effective long kicks in 2018, while also rating elite for uncontested possessions and inside 50s. He is strongly built but an outstanding endurance runner, equalling the yo-yo test record at the 2018 Victorian state combine. Bewley also displayed his impressive speed by recording a sub three-second time in the 20m sprint.

carter
Fremantle have secured Next Generation Academy product Jason Carter to their playing list, with the 18-year-old signing as a category B rookie on Friday. Hailing from Wyndham in the Kimberley, Carter is the first footballer from his hometown to be selected on an AFL list. The running defender/winger joined Fremantle’s NGA in 2016 following an impressive NAB AFL U16 Championships, where he was named All Australian. Injuries interrupted Carter’s 2017 season but he went on to be selected to represent WA at the NAB AFL U18 Championships in 2018. At the WA state combine, Carter recorded a 2.87 second 20m time, which was faster than any time recorded at the national combine.

two players with pace I want to see play please
Absolutely cater to a need, but at this stage I think Carter is a long way off. He was quite poor for Peel on the weekend (the first half, didn't see the second). He is quite loose on his man at times, and when he gets possession he just doesn't seem to want to use his pace. Maybe just a confidence thing playing against mature bodies for the first time.

Bewley has looked good in training, but doesn't seem to be in the frame for a game yet, must be something missing.

Absolutely cater to a need, but at this stage I think Carter is a long way off. He was quite poor for Peel on the weekend (the first half, didn't see the second). He is quite loose on his man at times, and when he gets possession he just doesn't seem to want to use his pace. Maybe just a confidence thing playing against mature bodies for the first time.

Bewley has looked good in training, but doesn't seem to be in the frame for a game yet, must be something missing.
Bewley was underwhelming in the JLT. But I don't really care, and think he should be trialed when the opportunity arises. Mature agers should be pretty much ready to go, and he may surprise. Of the fringe running types (Giro, Crowden etc) he seems to have the best kick, and that would be useful.

I don't think Carter or Sturt would benefit from being thrown in until they can do well, and that is a little way off by the sounds of things.

Wanted to have another crack after the disappointing loss to Adelaide.

FB: Wilson Hamling Nyhuis
HB: Logue A.Pearce Ryan
C: B.Hill Fyfe Langdon
HF: Walters Hogan Mundy
FF: Tabs Lobb Matera
R: Darcy Blakely S. Hill
Int: Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Carter

Wanted to have another crack after the disappointing loss to Adelaide.

FB: Wilson Hamling Nyhuis
HB: Logue A.Pearce Ryan
C: B.Hill Fyfe Langdon
HF: Walters Hogan Mundy
FF: Tabs Lobb Matera
R: Darcy Blakely S. Hill
Int: Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Carter
I dont know how you can possibly have Carter as best 22 without having played a game...

I find these fun to do so why not have a crack at a possible best 22 after the BYE

FB: Hamling Pearce Nyhuis
HB: Logue Wilson Ryan
C: S.Hill Fyfe B.Hill
HF: Walters Hogan Bennell
FF: Cerra Lobb Matera
R: Darcy Blakely Mundy
Int: Tucker, Brayshaw, Bewley, Langdon

Look at that backline :D

I find these fun to do so why not have a crack at a possible best 22 after the BYE

Nice one.

FB: Nyhuis - Hamling - Logue
HB: Wilson - Pearce - Ryan
C: B Hill - Mundy - S Hill
HF: Langdon - Lobb - Walters
FF: Hogan - Cox- Matera

R: Darcy - Fyfe - Bennell

I: Cerra - Bewley - Blakely - Tucker

are we talking Round 13 team or more generally after the bye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I feel like some people are really setting themselves up for disappointment re Bennell. Obviously we are all hopeful but try not to get too invested just yet.
Who's excited? As far as I'm concerned he's played his last game for Freo until i see him run out the races on game day. It is fun to speculate what a side including Bennell could look like though.

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Wilson
HB: Hughes, Hamling, S.Hill
C: B.Hill, Fyfe, Langdon
HF: Walters, Hogan, Bennell
FF: Matera, Lobb, Switkowski
FOL: Darcy, Mundy, Blakely
INT: Conca, Cerra, Brayshaw, Tucker

Best 22 in my opinion at least. Yes Logue is good but i don't have the huge erection for him that many on this board do, plus Duman and Hughes have both been relatively good and don't deserve to be dropped. Conca won't be getting dropped anytime soon either because of the leadership and grit he brings to the team. Bewley has played one game so he doesn't belong in the best 22 for me personally.

I wouldn’t be getting rid of Nyhuis any time soon.

Personally I think he’s a good option tbh. Not best 22 but an option based off who we’re playing and who they’ve got.

I just think that all the signs are there that the club doesn’t really rate him that highly.

Nyhuis is great depth. Not every player can be B22, 22 weeks a season. The real problem is if another club values him more than we do. I could see a few going after him if he gets a bit more exposure.

If he stays he’s great depth, if he were to be traded because he can’t get in the 22 it’s not the end of the world, his is a position we have decent depth in, especially with Carter showing promise.

I do hope we keep him though, he probably has potential to be a solid b22 player.

If he stays he’s great depth, if he were to be traded because he can’t get in the 22 it’s not the end of the world, his is a position we have decent depth in, especially with Carter showing promise.

I do hope we keep him though, he probably has potential to be a solid b22 player.

Is Carter good at shutting down an opposition forward?

Is Carter good at shutting down an opposition forward?

Is the question supposed to be sarcastic? Obviously early days for Carter.

Clearly shutting down forwards is a perceived strength of Nyhuis, but I should think it’s a bit of a prerequisite for playing defence, especially at AFL level (Carlton defenders excepted of course).

Is the question supposed to be sarcastic? Obviously early days for Carter.

Clearly shutting down forwards is a perceived strength of Nyhuis, but I should think it’s a bit of a prerequisite for playing defence, especially at AFL level (Carlton defenders excepted of course).

No, not sarcastic.

Just wondering how well Carter is at it following your comment that’s all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back