Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of competition pushing through.

We now have depth in most positions, and as most AFL clubs go these days, you are pretty sure to have around 5-10 on the injury list.

Ryan Pearce Cox
S Hill Hamling Wilson
Langdon Fyfe B Hill
Cerra Lobb Bennell
Tabs Hogan Walters

Sandi Brayshaw Blakely Conca

Bench :
Mundy McCarthy Coyler Banfield

No intended order here:
Forward Injury waitlist : Ballas Switkowski Matera Crowden Giro
Back Injury waitlist : Duman Logue Hughes Spurr
Mid injury waitlist : Tucker Grey Sheridan
Tall Injury backup : Darcy Dixon Apeness Kersten Jones

New Draft Picks ... Probably will not play until round 5 or so unless we have many injuries.

Notes :
Bennell fit is top 10 selection.
Mundy : not much needs to be said. He is a leader and sets an example so crucial to the team, can play forward or back, but we need to be in finals contention for him to keep playing I reckon.
Sandi still #1 ruck, but will rotate through, just to gauge how many years he has left. He could go on for another 3, or this could be his last.
Logue - He was borderline and seemed like a rampaging bull at times, but he showed he has a ticker and courage and endurance, and had some moments that really stood out (good). I am undecided, so remain neutral on his inclusion. Not starting 22 for me, but I would not rule it out. Pick 7 yes - that means nothing. Neale was 58.

Hogan, Lobb and Tabs in the forwards together... for Freo? WTF. I thnk I was Tabs biggest critic for a while, but did he prove me wrong. He was a star last year, just injury cut him down. We have some genuine targets now to mix our exit from defence and I can only assume that Lobb, Tabs and Cox will be presenting in different places. We know longer have to look for our ruckman on the boundary hoping for an out of bounds.

That is my 50c IMO it is best case scenario, but I think if we had that team on the park, we would match it with anyone. The likelihood of this happening is very small though with so many coming back from injury - Fyfe Walters, B Hill, Sandi, Bennell, S Hill, Sandi, Blakely, Logue. Hamling, Hogan, Lobb, Coyler ... yeah it is a pretty long list of recent injuries for us.

Last edited:
Lots of competition pushing through.

We now have depth in most positions, and as most AFL clubs go these days, you are pretty sure to have around 5-10 on the injury list.

Ryan Pearce Cox
S Hill Hamling Wilson
Langdon Fyfe B Hill
Cerra Lobb Bennell
Tabs Hogan Walters

Sandi Brayshaw Blakely Conca

Bench :
Mundy McCarthy Coyler Banfield

No intended order here:
Forward Injury waitlist : Ballas Switkowski Matera Crowden Giro
Back Injury waitlist : Duman Logue Hughes Spurr
Mid injury waitlist : Tucker Grey Sheridan
Tall Injury backup : Darcy Dixon Apeness Kersten Jones

New Draft Picks ... Probably will not play until round 5 or so unless we have many injuries.

Notes :
Bennell fit is top 10 selection.
Mundy : not much needs to be said. He is a leader and sets an example so crucial to the team, can play forward or back, but we need to be in finals contention for him to keep playing I reckon.
Sandi still #1 ruck, but will rotate through, just to gauge how many years he has left. He could go on for another 3, or this could be his last.
Logue - He was borderline and seemed like a rampaging bull at times, but he showed he has a ticker and courage and endurance, and had some moments that really stood out (good). I am undecided, so remain neutral on his inclusion. Not starting 22 for me, but I would not rule it out. Pick 7 yes - that means nothing. Neale was 58.

Hogan, Lobb and Tabs in the forwards together... for Freo? WTF. I thnk I was Tabs biggest critic for a while, but did he prove me wrong. He was a star last year, just injury cut him down. We have some genuine targets now to mix our exit from defence and I can only assume that Lobb, Tabs and Cox will be presenting in different places. We know longer have to look for our ruckman on the boundary hoping for an out of bounds.

That is my 50c IMO it is best case scenario, but I think if we had that team on the park, we would match it with anyone. The likelihood of this happening is very small though with so many coming back from injury - Fyfe Walters, B Hill, Sandi, Bennell, S Hill, Sandi, Blakely, Logue. Hamling, Hogan, Lobb, Coyler ... yeah it is a pretty long list of recent injuries for us.
You'll have to cut a rover unless we are playing SANFL next year.

Ryan Hamling Nyhuis

Duman Pearce Wilson

Langdon Blakely Bhilly

Mundy Hogan Cerra

Walters Cox Lobb

Sandi Fyfe Brayshaw

Logue Banfield Ballas shilly

Not a chance in hell this is how we line up for Rd 1 it's just our best line up to my eyes while keeping in mind that we are still rebuilding

Tabs will be in but I prefer the versatility and potential of Logue and Cox

No way Sandi lasts a full year so Darcy will get his games

Ballas and Shilly would want to perform

Not a fan of Conca , Colyer , McCarthy , Matera , Tucker or Kersten but hopefully they show something and we should not end up at the 3/4 mark struggling with no options again

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Best 22 according to travis King afl.com

FRE-header.png

B: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue
HB: Stephen Hill, Alex Pearce, Nathan Wilson
C: Bradley Hill, David Mundy, Ed Langdon
HF: Michael Walters, Matt Taberner, Adam Cerra
F: Rory Lobb, Jesse Hogan, Hayden Ballantyne
FOLL: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Connor Blakely
I/C: Andrew Brayshaw, Reece Conca, Bailey Banfield, Travis Colyer

After a productive NAB AFL Trade Period, there should be genuine pressure for spots next season. Proven marking targets Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb squeeze out Cam McCarthy and developing Brennan Cox, who might instead compete with Griffin Logue and Taylin Duman as the third tall defender. Sean Darcy is likely to become the lead ruckman in 2019 and is unlucky to miss out here but, as it stands, Aaron Sandilands is still among Freo's most influential players when fit, and Lobb can pinch-hit. Connor Blakely moves from half-back to midfield to cover Lachie Neale's loss. Trade acquisitions Reece Conca and Travis Colyer should slot into the best 22. On talent alone, Brandon Matera should be in the side but hasn't nailed down a spot and, as always, Harley Bennellis the wildcard. – Travis King

FRE-header.png

After a productive NAB AFL Trade Period, there should be genuine pressure for spots next season. Proven marking targets Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb squeeze out Cam McCarthy and developing Brennan Cox, who might instead compete with Griffin Logue and Taylin Duman as the third tall defender. Sean Darcy is likely to become the lead ruckman in 2019 and is unlucky to miss out here but, as it stands, Aaron Sandilands is still among Freo's most influential players when fit, and Lobb can pinch-hit. Connor Blakely moves from half-back to midfield to cover Lachie Neale's loss. Trade acquisitions Reece Conca and Travis Colyer should slot into the best 22. On talent alone, Brandon Matera should be in the side but hasn't nailed down a spot and, as always, Harley Bennellis the wildcard. – Travis King
That is actually a good effort, unlike some other ‘expert’ attempts who leave out key players or have Ed on a hbf. I have Brennan ahead of Tabs, because I think he has so much more upside, and maybe Duman ahead of Logue, and I want to see Matera as dangerous goal kicker but that is probably wishful thinking by me.

That is actually a good effort, unlike some other ‘expert’ attempts who leave out key players or have Ed on a hbf. I have Brennan ahead of Tabs, because I think he has so much more upside, and maybe Duman ahead of Logue, and I want to see Matera as dangerous goal kicker but that is probably wishful thinking by me.
Travis King is actually a pretty good journo. Always gives a balanced view and probably one of the only journos (apart from Mark Duffield) who gives us a fair go.

FRE-header.png

That team on paper looks pretty good. Young and fast. We might give some teams a shake. Exciting times

B: Luke Ryan, Joel Hamling, Logue*
HB: Duman*, Alex Pearce, Nathan Wilson
C: Bradley Hill, Andy Brayshaw, Stephen Hill
HF: Michael Walters, Jesse Hogan, Travis Colyer*
F: Cam McCarthy, Rory Lobb, Brandon Matera*
I/C: David Mundy, Reece Conca*, Adam Cerra, Ed Langdon

Logue is entirely in the team on potential (and a lack of other defenders). Also feel Duman is pretty iffy defensively so again without the lack of defenders I'd ideally have him rotating through the wing. Would be ideal if we could find a quick running defender in the draft (Carter maybe?)

Also disagree with a few on their forward-lines and feel we're desperate for a lot more pace. Particularly if you're picking the big 3 in Lobb, Hogan and Tabs. Hopefully the current incumbents, Colyer and Matera, are replaced by a couple of drafted small forwards (Hill looks nice) that can give the pace/defensive pressure that we desperately need if the forward line is actually going to function.

Very tentatively put Conca in. He'll obviously start (otherwise why bring him in) but I think we'll quickly find that he doesn't really have a role. Fyfe, Blakely, Mundy and S.Hill are all better and I'd rather have Cerra, Brayshaw and even Banfield playing midfield minutes ahead of him. If he's pushed to play HB/HF I'd rather just pick someone else.

Logue is entirely in the team on potential (and a lack of other defenders). Also feel Duman is pretty iffy defensively so again without the lack of defenders I'd ideally have him rotating through the wing. Would be ideal if we could find a quick running defender in the draft (Carter maybe?)

Also disagree with a few on their forward-lines and feel we're desperate for a lot more pace. Particularly if you're picking the big 3 in Lobb, Hogan and Tabs. Hopefully the current incumbents, Colyer and Matera, are replaced by a couple of drafted small forwards (Hill looks nice) that can give the pace/defensive pressure that we desperately need if the forward line is actually going to function.

Very tentatively put Conca in. He'll obviously start (otherwise why bring him in) but I think we'll quickly find that he doesn't really have a role. Fyfe, Blakely, Mundy and S.Hill are all better and I'd rather have Cerra, Brayshaw and even Banfield playing midfield minutes ahead of him. If he's pushed to play HB/HF I'd rather just pick someone else.
I agree with your sentiments re the forward line and the need for speed. Surely that is what Colyer can bring, and I think we will be working really hard to lock the ball into our forward 50 when we have the opportunity; the bigs out on the wings marking everything, and Colyer mowing down the opposition players trying to run it out of defence. We've seen this before and it suits the personnel we have.

Regarding Conca, I think there has been a softness to the team as we have moved into the rebuild, and not only will he provide it, but he sounds like a good mentor as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Wilson - Pearce - SHill

Five really attacking defenders.
Five really good overhead marks.
Pace, skill, tall and small.

C: BHill - Blakley - Langdon
R: Sandilands - Fyfe - Cerra

Sandi to spend more time on the bench than up forward.
Brad and Ed to run, and run some more.
Blakley/Conca/SHill as Mid/HB
Fyfe/Hogan/Mundy as Mid/FF
Ads/Sonny/Andy as Mid/HF

HF: Walters - Tabener - McCarthy
FF: Lobb - Hogan - Colyer

Colyer and Banfield as midfield relief.
Tabs and Dardy roaming the wings.
Lobb as the relief ruck.

No more defensive forwards :praying: PLEASE!!!

Int: Brayshaw - Mundy - Conca - Banfield

Mundy as a 70/30 forward.

Emg: Tucker - Cox - Darcy - Duman

I have Banfield over Conca and Darcy over Sandi but otherwise this is pretty much my 22 too. Love the backline the most, if Logue comes on and Duman continues his upward trajectory we'll have more dash from HB than just about any other team. Overall it's close to the quickest team we could put on paper, going to be even more exciting if we can add Ian Hill to the mix too

I have Banfield over Conca and Darcy over Sandi but otherwise this is pretty much my 22 too. Love the backline the most, if Logue comes on and Duman continues his upward trajectory we'll have more dash from HB than just about any other team. Overall it's close to the quickest team we could put on paper, going to be even more exciting if we can add Ian Hill to the mix too
yes I would love ian hill lets maximise our advantage up forward

How much of a difference does Sandi make to our side? In the 11 game he didn't played we went 3 wins - 11 losses.

In the 11 games he did play we went 5 wins - 6 losses. On the surface that looks pretty good for Sandi, But....

Those five wins were against Carlton, Bulldogs, Gold Coast, St Kilda and Essendon. So basically bottom 4 sides and Essendon when they were struggling. If we had a fully fit Darcy in those games instead of Sandi do those results change? I'm fairly certain we still win those games.

I know we'll probably start with Sandi... but I think we should switch to the future as soon as possible. I think the Darcy/Lobb combo is going to be quite formidable.

22 based primarily talent
FB: Logue Pearce Ryan
HB: Wilson Hamling SHill

C: BHill Blakely Langdon
R: Sandilands Fyfe Mundy

HF: Walters Hogan McCarthy
FF: Cox Lobb Bennell

I/C: Brayshaw Cerra Conca Colyer

This is the team that wins us a grand final if everyone plays to their potential.

Defence: Duman may be Infront of Logue at this point given their performances. Nyhuis is next in line and potential in against short attacks. Conca and Cerra are the bench mid Def rotations

Midfield: SHill, Bennell, Langdon and Walters all take a couple centre bounces a game but primarily play their listed possitions. Banfield is next in line, then maybe Tucker followed by a raffle. Would like Hughes to be tried as a mid a Peel. Darcy obviously next in line to play ruck 1

Forward: 4 talls is controversial especially with neither Walters or Bennell being great pressure forwards but I want fire power and Cox and Cam should both be decent defensively for talls. Colyer is the bench mid forward rotation. I think switkowski is next in line here unless Lobb is the injured replaced player in which case Tabs is in. Want Ian Hill at 14 and he takes Colyer's spot on potential.

Our biggest issues are injury management and it's because our midfield depth is bad. Even moving SHill, Walters and Bennell more mid we just move the depth problem to the forward line.

Right now our list looks a lot like 'Premiership: just add Coniglio' so my fingers are crossed Bell bests himself next year.

I like what Hale has done for Tabs and Cox but I think he should be talls development coach rather than the forward line coach.

Lastly, you can all fight me for Blakely's buddyship because he's going to have a monster break out season, almost solely filling Neale's hole in the team.

Just checking, does that mean that you also have Colyer who is in that best 22 ahead of Conca (and also Matera who he could compete with as a small forward)?

RYAN PEARCE DUMAN
WILSON HAMLING MUNDY

SANDI/DARCY FYFE S HILL
B HILL BLAKELY LANGDON

MCCARTHY TABS COLYER
WALTERS HOGAN LOBB

CONCA, BRAYSHAW, CERRA, BALLANTYNE

Unlucky: MATERA, LOGUE, KERSTEN, COX, HUGHES, BANFIELD. I'd be really happy if any of these guys are in our starting 22.

Still building: GIRO, NORTH

In a category of his own: Tucker. He's a good kick but not particularly fast, doesn't rack up possies and not a hard nut. Meh.

XFACTOR: BENNELL. Obviously best 22 if actually playing football

THOUGHTS:
I suspect S Hill will attend plenty of centre bounces when fit next year.

Don't think it will happen but I would love to see Mundy shifted to the backline. We now have an abundance of forwards so I don't' think Mundy is needed forward. Would love to see his sublime skills used in a quarterback role. We know he's played there before and is tall enough to play on any third tall (or small KPF). Would be amazing to have Wilson, Ryan and Mundy feeding the ball into attack. The reason I have Duman ahead of Logue is that I rate Duman's disposal. I think he's a really smart user. I'm yet to be 100% sold on Logue.

I'd love to see Lobb, Hogan, Tabs and McCarthy all in the same forward line. It may seem tall/slow but I think with Walters and Colyer as your small forwards rotating through the midfield and Ballantyne or Matera coming off the bench, you'll still have plenty of run. McCarthy is quite mobile too, just have to train him up for a different role.

With the addition of 4 experienced players to negate the loss of Neale, Sherdan, Sutty and Johno, and another pre-season into the young fellas, I feel we're a bit better placed to cover a few injuries.

Should win a couple more games than last year. Keep the A graders fit and we could sneak into September.

Personally I think we have enough good backmen we shouldn't be putting mids back there. Stack the midfield and fwd line with our best players.

FB: Ryan Hamling Nyhuis
HB: Duman Pearce Wilson
C: Langdon Blakely B. Hill
HF: McCarthy Hogan Cerra
FF: Walters Cox Lobb

R: Sandi/Darcy Fyfe S Hill

I: Conca Brayshaw Ballas Mundy

E: Logue Taberner Banfield Coyler Tucker Cox Matera

Quality depth is definitely an issue. Bizarrely kpf is now one of our greatest strengths very strange for a Dockers list.

FB: Duman Pearce Hamling
HB: Wilson Logue Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Hill B
HF: Mundy Cox Hill S
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
R: Darcy Blakely Brayshaw
Int: Cerra Conca Banfield Giro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back