Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay so there is already a thread on this topic but I thought instead of bumping a 10 day old thread where the majority of the discussion is on this year we'd instead just start fresh. All predictions and discussions on our list, it's B22 & it's depth can be put in here.

I'm going to edit all my opinions in here when the time is right, so feel free to copy and have a shot yourself (I know it's a lot and may be repetitive, but it's all for fun and everyone will be updating there's anyways when the time comes):

• END OF 2018 B22
  • POST-TRADE PERIOD B22
  • POST-DRAFT B22
  • ROUND 1 2019 B22
  • END OF 2019 B22
Other on-field questions for you guys:

1. How long will it take for the remaining 2017 Group to debut? (North, Meek & Dixon)
2. What will our ruck approach be and what will it look like?
3. Players whose spot in your B22 are most at risk?
4. Players you think will improve the most?
5. Potential positional changes for players?
6. Logue Mid, Tabs ruck, Pearce forward and Cox down back? :p

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
End Of 2018 B22:

FB - Nyhuis Hamling Wilson
HB - Ryan Pearce Logue
C - B Hill Blakely Langdon
R - Darcy Mundy S Hill
HF - Walters Fyfe Cox
FF - Switkowski Taberner Bennell
IC - Neale Brayshaw Cerra Duman

After our 2018 season, this is my personal B22 from our current list and the one I'd love to see us field (Which we definitely won't ;))

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will no doubt forget to fill in the rest at the appropriate time:

1. How long will it take for the remaining 2017 Group to debut? (North, Meek & Dixon) - North and Dixon before the bye. Meek maybe 1 or 2 token near end of season
2. What will our ruck approach be and what will it look like - 2 rucks when Darcy and Sandi both fit. Alternating 1/2 rucks depending on opponent and injuries otherwise (like this year)
3. Players whose spot in your B22 are most at risk - Sandi (injury), Matera, Cam, Nyhuis, Duman
4. Players you think will improve the most - Brayshaw, Duman, Cox, Pearce
5. Potential positional changes for players - Blakely (full time mid)
6. Logue Mid, Tabs ruck, Pearce forward and Cox down back - No, sometimes, no, no (unless Huge smashes it or we draft a King)
7. Who does Conca and Lobb replace, and are they worth the pick\salary cap? Lobb can stay the f*** away from us - I'm blown away with how overrated he is by some (including this board and the media). Conca (as long as salary is reasonable) probably for Nyhuis or Duman with Shill moving back and Langdon on wing.
  • END OF 2018 B22
Ryan Hamling Nyhuis

Wilson Pearce Duman

Hill Fyfe Hill

Mundy Cox Walters

Matera Tabs Cam

Sandi Neale Blakely

Cerra Brayshaw Langdon Banfield
  • POST-TRADE PERIOD B22
Ryan Hamling Logue

Wilson Pearce Duman

Hill Fyfe Hill

Cox Hogan Walters

Matera Lobb Cam

Sandi Conca Blakely

Cerra Brayshaw Langdon Mundy
  • POST-DRAFT B22

• ROUND 1 2019 B22

• END OF 2019 B22

Last edited:

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
  • END OF 2018 B22

Ryan Hamling Blakely
Wilson APearce SHill
BHill Mundy Langdon
Harley Tabs Walters
Cam Cox Matera

Darcy
Fyfe
Neale

Cerra, Brayshaw. Logue, Banfield

• POST-TRADE PERIOD B22
  • POST-DRAFT B22
  • ROUND 1 2019 B22
  • END OF 2019 B22

1. How long will it take for the remaining 2017 Group to debut? (North, Meek & Dixon) - All depends on pre-season and injuries but i'd ssay Dixon/North maybe in the first few rounds and Meek later in the year.
2. What will our ruck approach be and what will it look like? - Sandi to start as the top dog and we attempt to play 2 , Sandi gets rested for a few away trips or games we think we can win without him (there wont be many).
3. Players whose spot in your B22 are most at risk? - All the forwards basically, Harley, am & Matera fulfilling their potential could really improve us. I think the back 6 I have is fairly locked in.
4. Players you think will improve the most? -I hope the fwds but suspect Cerra & Brayshaw will be the main two that become a main part of the mid rotation.
5. Potential positional changes for players? - Hamling trialled fwd (Cox down back as a swap), just see it in a JLT game or two, you never know. Fyfe forward more is my desire but understand that is robbing Peter to pay Paul so will settle for Mundy more down there.
6. Logue Mid, Tabs ruck, Pearce forward and Cox down back? - Yeh why not, big bodied but I see him more as a back, no just continue as the pinch hitter with Cox, nuh he can't kick, yeh maybe if Hamling goes fwd.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Deathly, Joao - can you please add question 7 below?

FB - Nyhuis Hamling Wilson
HB - Ryan Pearce Blakely
C - B Hill Fyfe Langdon
R - Darcy Mundy S Hill
HF - Walters Cox Ballas(Place holder only)
FF - Dixon Taberner Bennell
IC - Neale Brayshaw Cerra Logue

Unlucky: Duman

1. How long will it take for the remaining 2017 Group to debut? (North, Meek & Dixon)

Dixon round 1, North mid season, Meek will when Taberner or Cox gets injured.

Darcy number 1 ruck, Sandi playing when he is injured or needs a rest. Taberner to play as 2nd ruck.

Dixon needs a big preseason, but he is also my tip for break out players in 2019.
Cox needs to kick straight to hold his spot.
Ballas - only there as a place holder, we badly need to sign 3 or 4 forwards this trade\draft period. I would like us to get M Bennell late.
Nyhuis, Duman are the other two but both have shown promise

Dixon, Logue (Mid), Fyfe (Dusty Martin type role)

Logue a mid.

6. Logue Mid, Tabs ruck, Pearce forward and Cox down back?

Logue Mid, Tabs fwd\ruck, Pearce CHB, Cox forward (B22 only if he kicks straight)

7. Who does Conca and Lobb replace, and are they worth the pick\salary cap?

Lobb - replace Cox but only a slight upgrade. Not worth the pick we would need to give up.
Conca - 24th man, but chances are we will have 2 or 3 injuries at the start of the year.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
7. Who does Conca and Lobb replace, and are they worth the pick\salary cap?

Will be interesting to talk about when it happens but want to keep this thread for actual listed players only. That stuff can be discussed in the other thread until then.

Personally I think Conca is 100% coming, Lobb still genuine 33% if it's between the WA clubs and staying still.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dixon round 1, North mid season, Meek will when Taberner or Cox gets injured.

Interesting, I'd love to see Dixon ASAP but I think he's awhile away. Honestly think North is a good chance of playing Round 1. Watchers seemed to of loved him and if he has a strong pre-season could earn selection. Did well during most outings at Peel when he did play too.

Fyfe forward more is my desire

Same here. Think we'll see less of him in the middle moving forward. He might Pavlike at opening and crucial center bounces but I didn't mind seeing him playing either end of the ground this year and pushing into stoppages when he could. We have some serious inside talent developing that will need to be exposed again.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think in regards to Question 4 that I posed is that Tucker is the serious one here. 48 games in 3 seasons but still doesn't really look settled or have a defined role in the B22. Even if he's shown a bit of versatility which might be cause for what I stated before - it's hard to gauge him but to me it feels like he's too disciplined which effects his ability to know when to get involved and stay in it for 4 Quarters.

I've loved him when he's on but hate that I'm impatient in wanting him to take that next influential step with his playing. Would love to know the specifics on his management this year if anyone remembers it being stated somewhere.

I hope he's our big improver next year, even compared to the 1st and 2nd years on our list.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
FB: Duman Pearce Hamling
HB: Wilson Logue Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Hill B
HF: Mundy Cox Hill S
FF: Walters Tabs Bennell
R: Darcy Neale Brayshaw
Int: Cerra Blakely Banfield Giro

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think in regards to Question 4 that I posed is that Tucker is the serious one here. 48 games in 3 seasons but still doesn't really look settled or have a defined role in the B22. Even if he's shown a bit of versatility which might be cause for what I stated before - it's hard to gauge him but to me it feels like he's too disciplined which effects his ability to know when to get involved and stay in it for 4 Quarters.

I've loved him when he's on but hate that I'm impatient in wanting him to take that next influential step with his playing. Would love to know the specifics on his management this year if anyone remembers it being stated somewhere.

I hope he's our big improver next year, even compared to the 1st and 2nd years on our list.
Hoping he has an eddy langdon year next year. Being from the draft after ed it would be same timeline if he does.
Unfortunately i don't see any particular impressive attribute (ed has speed and endurance) aside from his above average kick

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hoping he has an eddy langdon year next year. Being from the draft after ed it would be same timeline if he does.
Unfortunately i don't see any particular impressive attribute (ed has speed and endurance) aside from his above average kick

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope he does too. He has played more games than Ed, though one less pre-season. Ed played some great WAFL, specially the 2016 WAFL grand final, where he was robbed of the Simpson, IMHO. I don’t think Tucker has ever shown that level at WAFL. I am hoping but not expecting.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope he does too. He has played more games than Ed, though one less pre-season. Ed played some great WAFL, specially the 2016 WAFL grand final, where he was robbed of the Simpson, IMHO. I don’t think Tucker has ever shown that level at WAFL. I am hoping but not expecting.
The last WAFL game Tucker played was Round 2 where he had 34 disposals and 2 goals. He had 28 and 1 goal in Round 1. IMO he dominates WAFL games more consistently than Ed did (probably because he can play inside and outside), he just hasn't played there often (4 games in the past 2 years) because Ross and co have backed him in at AFL level. I'm disappointed we haven't seen a breakout performance yet but don't write him off just yet. He doesn't have Ed's speed, but he's not slow, his endurance has improved a lot and he is one of our best kicks when he doesn't get flustered. Crowden is a bit similar - his kicking at WAFL level is often elite but he hasn't handled the AFL pace and pressure yet. If they start to, our skills, especially kicking i50 could improve dramatically (alongside Cerra and Brayshaw improving). Worth persisting imo even if it doesn't work out.

Talking Dockers

Senior List
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce StevieH
Langdon Blakely BradH
Mundy Dixon Cera
Matera Tabs Swita

Ruck: Darcy, Fyfe, Neale

Int: Brayshaw &Tucker(both midfield rotation), Duman(Back 6 rotation) Sandi(I think he'll struggle to recover from Calf injuries)

Dixon is a natural forward good hands and a good kick for goal. Mundy is a class act where ever he plays but I think it time to give for their development Cera & brayshaw time in midfield. Also Mundy is deceptively tall and a good mark and it goes without saying his kicking for goal is elite.

Depends also on recruits and first RD draft pick who may be a beauty and would prob get picked for Rd 1

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
My Best 22 for next year.

If we lose Neale...
B. Duman, Hamling, Cox
HB. Ryan, Pearce, Wilson
C. BHill, Blakely, Langdon
HF. Rankine, B King, Cerra
F. Walters, Tabs, Switta
R. Sandi, Fyfe, Brayshaw
I. Logue, Matera, SHill, Mundy

If we keep Neale.
B. Duman, Hamling, Ryan
HB. SHill, Pearce, Wilson
C. BHill, Blakely, Langdon
HF. Rankine, Cox, Cerra
F. Walters, Tabs, Switta
R. Sandi, Fyfe, Neale
I. Logue, Matera, Brayshaw, Mundy

If Sandi unfit or out of form then Darcy.

Obviously Rankine and King are not guaranteed but I can dream...

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce StevieH
Langdon Blakely BradH
Mundy Dixon Cera
Matera Tabs Swita

Ruck: Darcy, Fyfe, Neale

Int: Brayshaw &Tucker(both midfield rotation), Duman(Back 6 rotation) Sandi(I think he'll struggle to recover from Calf injuries)

Dixon is a natural forward good hands and a good kick for goal. Mundy is a class act where ever he plays but I think it time to give for their development Cera & brayshaw time in midfield. Also Mundy is deceptively tall and a good mark and it goes without saying his kicking for goal is elite.

Depends also on recruits and first RD draft pick who may be a beauty and would prob get picked for Rd 1

How about Son Son?

• END OF 2018 B22
B: Nyhuis - Pearce - Duman
HB: Ryan - Hamling - Wilson
C: BHill - Blakely - Langdon
HF: Walters - Cox - McCarthy
FF: Bennell - Taberner - Matera
Followers: Sandi - Fyfe - Neale
INT: Mundy - Cerra - SHill - Brayshaw

• POST-TRADE PERIOD B22
  • POST-DRAFT B22
  • ROUND 1 2019 B22
  • END OF 2019 B22

North - before round 5
Dixon - before the bye
Meek - token game depending on injury
When fit, Sandi and Darcy, however Sandi to be rested for majority of away games (something like Pav in 2016) to leave Darcy rucking with Tabs/Cox giving chop out (assuming Lobb doesn’t come)
Matera, McCarthy, Bennell (injury), Duman (from Logue).
Brayshaw, Cox, Pearce, Cerra and Darcy’s tank
Blakely full time mid, Mundy more forward.
6. Logue Mid, Tabs ruck, Pearce forward and Cox down back?
try at peel (no unless that succeeds), as 2nd ruck only, no and no

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I reckon the 6 6 6 set up is going to bring significant change to midfield clearances and a rethink of tactics.

Its just too hard on most grounds to block off space without multiple players coming in for repeat contests when you have a dominant ruck who taps to advantage. For instance, teams can put both of their wingers on one side and leave the other side open to so that their mids have space to break out into, and even a hurried first disposal doesn't have to be precise as long as you have a running wingman prepared to roll the dice an run to a space to receive.

The flanks from 50m to 50m will be uncrowded for those one or two seconds, and that is all that is required to have the defenders caught betwixt minding their opponents or charging to block the runners coming towards them and deep territory gains into the opposition forward 50m will be the reward for clearances.

It'll work to the advantage of both sides in an even battle, but it'll be harder to stop tactically with players outside of the square when one group of midfielders gets a run on and continually wins clearances.

We might be looking looking at a different type of midfield mix. Some players we have there already might be suited to the changes and perform better - some might have limitations shown up and have to make way.

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t worry Rixx is looking after some of our best our boys in Germany. What could possibly go wrong?

IMG_9431.JPG

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pre-Draft/Trade
Ryan Hamling Logue

Wilson A Pearce Cerra

Langdon Fyfe B Hill

Walters Taberner Bennell

McCarthy Cox Matera

Ruck
Sandilands,Neale, Blakely

Bench
Brayshaw, S Hill, Mundy, Banfield

Post Trade landing Hogan and Conca and losing Neale

Ryan Hamling Logue

Wilson Pearce Cerra

Langdon Fyfe B Hill

Walters Hogan Bennell

I Hill Cox Mccarthy

Rucks
Sandilands, Blakely, S Hill

Bench
Conca, Brayshaw, Mundy, Banfield

Post Trade/Draft not landing Hogan, Losing Neale and getting Conca

Ryan Hamling Logue

Wilson Pearce Cerra

Langdon Fyfe B Hill

Walters Taberner Bennell

Rankine Cox Mccarthy

Ruck
Sandilands, Blakely, S Hill

Bench
Conca, Brayshaw, Smith/Rozee, Mundy

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone explain why Logue is automatic best 22 next year?

He finished 2017 playing for Peel. Then had a year off due to injury. Do people genuinely believe he's B22 or is it that we need to pump games into him. If it's the latter then I understand. Personally though, I'd want to see him dominating at Peel for a few games before we give him a crack.

Doodee played 2 full seasons in the SANFL before he got his shot. Didn't hurt him.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Urghhh. Always really hard to settle on a "best 22". Mainly because I feel it will never just eventuate (injuries, suspensions etc).

I would like to have been a fly-on-the-wall when Nat Fyfe sat down to scribble his out. Time to get out the note paper and pen......

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Could Stephen Hill play as a forward?
High half forward type like Melksham or Lynch (Adel)
Would be great as the deliverer to the deeper forwards, but also able to slot a goal from distance

Caldera

All Australian
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could Stephen Hill play as a forward?
High half forward type like Melksham or Lynch (Adel)
Would be great as the deliverer to the deeper forwards, but also able to slot a goal from distance

On Melksham, do you think T-train Sheridan has the capacity to re-invent himself like Melksham has? Melksham's career was in no-mans land a year or two ago.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
On Melksham, do you think T-train Sheridan has the capacity to re-invent himself like Melksham has? Melksham's career was in no-mans land a year or two ago.
Sheridan plays his best footy as a defensive forward.

When he plays there, he is always good for a goal, I am not sure why he does not play there more often.

Back