Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think the way Switta came as soon as injuries (and a game or two of Peel match fitness) allowed, he is pretty highly rated internally. Barring Bennel miraculously getting to the season with form and fitness behind him, i think he’ll be in for round 1
I hope you are right about him, we are crying out for a good small forward. I believe we have space for Walters, Bennell, plus 1 more in our best 22.

I personally really rate Switto, think the pressure he brings is amazing and should be B22 for most of next year

Our B22 Forward line will consist of something like

HF: M.Walters/J.Hogan/H.Bennell
FF: S.Switkowski/M.Taberner/R.Lobb

Hogan, Lobb and Walters are locks
Tabs is in competition with Cox, maybe even Dixon depending on how he tracks this year
Bennell might not even play this season. He's in competition with Sturt and McCarthy
Switto's spot has a few possible canidates in Matera, Schultz and Ballas

Hogan will kick a lot of goals for us assuming he's injury free. Give Walters more forward time than midfield time as well as Tabs having a full season I think we have some good firing power.

Should Schultz fix up his running he'll be B22 in no time

I hear the argument for experience and I wouldn't be disappointed with either choice the coaches make.
It will be an interesting round one team and will tell us where the club thinks they are at.

Having a look at this thread one of the most positive things in my view is the fact that the team looks good even without a surprise packet that comes into the team that most dont have in their side coming into the season.. When you consider we have such a large proportion of our list in our second to fourth years and that is an experience bracket that often there is a large group of players who break out into consistent afl players across the league, then the scope for a pleasant surprise is huge. It would actually be a surprise to me if at least a few of the players from the group of players who are either in only a few best 22 (say Swiita, Banfield or Duman) or one of the players in their second to fourth years in pretty much no best 22's (say Giro, North, Crowden, Tucke, Meek,) didnt emerge to exceed expectations from fans over the season.

Ethan Hughes is another potential surprise packet. Currently heading into his fifth year on a list it would have to be a possibility that he just gets it and is able to uee his athleticism to become a quality player. .In 2017 in my view (and plenty of others) he showed a ton of potential, but stagnated a bit last year after a severely injury interrupted preseason..

I also spoke to a training watcher who doesnt miss a session last year and he said Banfield and Giro were very often the first there and the last to leave the training track this preseason, so they both definitely have the application to improve significantly. Hughes has also apparently done a lot of work at the end of sessions to improve his field kicking.

FB: Wilson, Hamling, Logue
HB: Ryan, Pearce, Conca
C: B Hill, Blakely, Langdon
HF: Bennell, Hogan, Cerra
FF: Colyer, Lobb, Taberner
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Brayshaw
I: Walters, Mundy, Bewley, S Hill

That's very difficult putting together a team at the moment.
Yep. There's definitely lots to play out before selections will be made. Some early points of discussion have been raised in this thread include:
1. Cox versus Tabs and/ or McCarthy depending on forward set-up
2. II he plays defence Cox versus Logue.or Duman
3. Probably only two of Swits, Matera, Colyer, Bennell, Ballaz or Schultz getting a game. if everyone is available with Walters the obvious lock for the other small forward role and a mid probably rotating forward as well.
4. Darcy versus Sandy.
5. Conca versus Banfield as primary midfield negator.
6. The need for a lock down defender versus rotating mids in defence and a more attacking set-up.
7. The impressive reports from people in the club about Bewley and what that means for selections.

Id be interested to hear thoughts.

Yep. There's definitely lots to play out before selections will be made. Some early points of discussion have been raised in this thread include:
1. Cox versus Tabs and/ or McCarthy depending on forward set-up
2. II he plays defence Cox versus Logue.or Duman
3. Probably only two of Swits, Matera, Colyer, Bennell, Ballaz or Schultz getting a game. if everyone is available with Walters the obvious lock for the other small forward role and a mid probably rotating forward as well.
4. Darcy versus Sandy.
5. Conca versus Banfield as primary midfield negator.
6. The need for a lock down defender versus rotating mids in defence and a more attacking set-up.
7. The impressive reports from people in the club about Bewley and what that means for selections.

Id be interested to hear thoughts.

1. Cox
2. Logue
3. Colyer and Bennell if fit
4. Sandy while he’s fit but still expect Darcy to play at least 10 games
5. Conca as defensive midfielder but Banfield still gets in as tagger
6. Think we have enough defensive fibre with Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Ryan - Wilson and the defensive mid rotating through make up the 6 in defence
7. Would like Bewley to break into the side. Great running power and pace, plus also an accurate and long kick.

This! I don't understand how Cox could be chosen before tabs right now. Before tabs went down against the Bulldogs he was looking fantastic. Cox is still tracking okay-but not being reliable 20m out from goal is still a pretty big knock on him. I guess the only thing could be fwd line balance?..

This! I don't understand how Cox could be chosen before tabs right now. Before tabs went down against the Bulldogs he was looking fantastic. Cox is still tracking okay-but not being reliable 20m out from goal is still a pretty big knock on him. I guess the only thing could be fwd line balance?..
Personally I think the need for forward line balance works in Tabs favour. I could see Lobb playing around 85-90% game time with 60-65% forward, 25% ruck and 10-15% bench .If you also take into account Hogan will need some rest in a game (say 85-90% game time as well, but probably a bit less at the start of the year) then if we want to have twol key forwards on that ground throughout a game whoever plays out of Tabs or Cox will actually be the second key tall for more than half a game. With that in mind I think Tabs plays the second tall role a lot better than Cox as he showed last year he competes well playing against the oppositions best key tall defender. In my view Taberner is a lot better at distance running than Cox and that also makes the idea of him on the field at the same time as Hogan and Lobb appealing as well because he should be able to create space for them to both lead into by going on long runs. I agree with the above post. I cant see it being a close call unless Cox improves a heap.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="sherrif, post: 59251787, member: 138364
I also spoke to a training watcher who doesnt miss a session last year and he said Banfield and Giro were very often the first there and the last to leave the training track this preseason, so they both definitely have the application to improve significantly. Hughes has also apparently done a lot of work at the end of sessions to improve his field kicking.[/QUOTE] I bet Valente will join Banfield and Giro. Nice work ethic developing, and will be reinforced by competition for spots and a desire to win.

I am hoping Tucker steps up. He clearly has more to offer, but has barely hit the minimum expectation I think. Like Hughes, he should be murdering the pre-season. For guys in their range on our list to see someone like Bewley get recruited late-ish, but become almost the front runner for a spot must be real kick in the butt. They need to make it really difficult for Bewley and Colyer to get a game by making their own case. AFL existence is fragile and short lived for some. Rixx slipped quickly once it became clear that he didn't have another level to go to.

Personally I think the need for forward line balance works in Tabs favour. I could see Lobb playing around 85-90% game time with 60-65% forward, 25% ruck and 10-15% bench .If you also take into account Hogan will need some rest in a game (say 85-90% game time as well, but probably a bit less at the start of the year) then if we want to have twol key forwards on that ground throughout a game whoever plays out of Tabs or Cox will actually be the second key tall for more than half a game. With that in mind I think Tabs plays the second tall role a lot better than Cox as he showed last year he competes well playing against the oppositions best key tall defender. In my view Taberner is a lot better at distance running than Cox and that also makes the idea of him on the field at the same time as Hogan and Lobb appealing as well because he should be able to create space for them to both lead into by going on long runs. I agree with the above post. I cant see it being a close call unless Cox improves a heap.
It’ll be a close call between Tabs and Cox, and one I’m happy to leave to MC. The one thing Cox offers that Tabs doesn’t is KPD depth to cover any in-game injury to one of Hamling, AP, or Logue. Not sure if that will factor into it, but is a handy string to his bow.

I reckon they’ll start with Tabs and have Cox applying the heat from below. Or go with neither and just have Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy with a fleet of smalls - Walters, Ballas, Matera, Swita (bench).

Walters McCarthy Matera
Ballas Hogan Lobb

Not bad not bad. Swita on the bench, Schultz building in the WAFL. Fyfe, Mundy and Bennell rotating through. Playing the additional tall (Tabs or Cox) might lessen our midfield options - and that to me is our weakest area, so if we can strengthen that, I would play an extra small forward who can rotate through.

I also have a recurring nightmare where Hawthorn poach Tabs for a fourth round pick at the end of the year and he goes on to do great things there. But in seriousness, him being out of contract puts him in the firing line - so he’ll be keen to recapture his early season form from 2018 and put some goals on the board early, or risk being phased out as Cox has a long term contract already banked (my thoughts only).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It concerns me a bit about what they do with Darcy. In my opinion they should play him and Sandilands together, at least at home and leave Lobb forward and let him do the ruck work forward of centre. The kid needs all the work he can get now at a critical time in his developement and Lobb is definately more a forward than a ruckman.

Cox will play, he did things in the Adelaide game that Tabs could only dream about. Cox has the ability to be our best forward Hogan included.
Agree his numbers for his first 25 games stack up well with Kennedy Riewoldt and the like he was chb in u18 AA team so reads it well
Need to make sure he gets his 10+ games in 2019 to continue the growth

Brennan has trouble coming back to the club in top shape, once that clicks for him (and it may have this year) then he will be a star but if he has to spend a few weeks catching up every break he won't and Tabs will start ahead of him.

Not hard to start behind Tabs, him and Logue were working hard at the clubs facilities way before they needed to come back for preseason. Plenty of good trainers for Cox to watch and learn from and he must know there is now plenty of tall talent that will come in ahead of him if he is not fit enough again.

Not hard to start behind Tabs, him and Logue were working hard at the clubs facilities way before they needed to come back for preseason. Plenty of good trainers for Cox to watch and learn from and he must know there is now plenty of tall talent that will come in ahead of him if he is not fit enough again.
Can anyone remember if tabs was a dedicated trainer at the start of his career.

Not many have Kersten in their best 22. I thought his long kicking from the back line really complemented Ryan and Wilson.
Just because he's not completely useless and has some positive attributes doesn't mean he isn't behind actual defenders in the 22.

would you play him ahead of Logue?
His role now is back up tall defender, and probably 3rd back up tall forward. I might play him ahead of Duman if Logue was injured.

He's our depth, and I think not bad depth, especially with Cox capable as a swing-man. He has better kicking skills than any of Pearce, Hamling or Logue, so is a reasonable option. So far he has not been totally convincing as a defender (from reports), but if the move pays off and he has a good year for Peel and maybe gets a few at AFL level, then he is worth keeping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back