Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Duman and Cox both have huge ceilings.

Both are smart footballers with lots of weapons at their disposal. But it's still the p word at play here.

As far as comparisons go, Cox has a ways to go before being realistically talked about as overtaking Hogan.

Hogan has put up genuine body of work already. His first year in the AFL he took a phenomenal amount of contested marks for a rookie. He's been averaging 2 goals a game virtually his whole career. He's tracking up there with Jono Brown and Riewaldt. While Cox in his admittedly short exposure is more along the lines of a more advanced Mitch McGovern.

Duman has been very impressive in the intelligence and execution of the game and depending on how team balance goes could be a smoky for some midfield minutes, if not this year, certainly in the future.

There will need to be a realisation that the attitude that demands results will require guys like Cox, Duman and Darcy to play at Peel.
I am not sure that I can agree with you. Darcy is clearly not best 22, agreed.

I am not sure who gets a game ahead of Duman at half back. I think he has to be in the mix for best 22.

Cox is in competition with Tabs and Cam for a position in the forward line I guess. I think the selection should be made on performance at training and in preseason matches. I prefer Cox, which is partly on potential, but partly on performance. It is a marginal decision in my opinion and I would select the younger player with the potential unless there is a good reason not to.

I think Brennan Cox will be a better player than Taberner in time but I also think Taberner is a superior player to Cox currently.

But it isn't just those three. We picked up Hogan, Lobb, Colyer, Conca and Bewley who are quite mature bodied.

I think they were picked up to make the side more competitive immediately because playing youth for two years as had the pitchforks at the door. I don't think WA football has the patience of the supporters of the Carlton or St Kilda football clubs

Logue gets picked ahead of Duman every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think either of them has achieved automatic selection status as yet, so that pretty much means it's down to form and "team balance". They also bring different things to the team, so they might not be in as direct competition.

Another factor is their development paths. Duman's a more developed player from what he's shown so far, while they'd likely want to give more development opportunities where they could to Logue and he's a bit more of a wildcard on what he might bring while doing so.

I think Brennan Cox will be a better player than Taberner in time but I also think Taberner is a superior player to Cox currently.

But it isn't just those three. We picked up Hogan, Lobb, Colyer, Conca and Bewley who are quite mature bodied.

I think they were picked up to make the side more competitive immediately because playing youth for two years as had the pitchforks at the door. I don't think WA football has the patience of the supporters of the Carlton or St Kilda football clubs

Hogan and Lobb are blokes you would trade in wherever your club was on the development path as they get a game for any team in the comp probably

The other 3 add some depth and options which were well needed because the last couple of years we have given quite a few games to blokes who didnt deserve them because the cupboard was bare and we had no alternatives

Good players pick themselves and Cox , Darcy and Duman will do that , maybe not in Rd 1 but we'll see by the end of the year

The pitchforks came out because we were still getting belted too often compared to the other teams around our level and question marks about our leadership

Not some ' WA thing '

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have a geniuene group of 30 players that could all be Best 22. All of which have a preseason or two under their belt and at least 10-15 games experience.

Cox, Duman, Logue, Tucker, Darcy, Nyhuis, Coyler, Matera, Hughes, Kersten, McCarthy. All these guys have 3-4+ preseasons under their belt now.

Banfield, Switta, Giro and Crowden coming into their 2nd year now.

Last year we had games where we were playing 6+ 1st year players all with under 10 games experience. This year for a 1st year player to get a game in the big leagues they will bloody well have had to earn it at Peel.

Our depth should see us more consistent and competitive throughout the year. Should see us not fall off a cliff near the end of the season. Should lessen the impact of injuries.

Consistency should allow us to see if Ross has what it takes to get us back into challenge mode. He's not going to have the young and inexperienced excuse this year. I've said it plenty of times now but their are a lot of flawed teams thinking they can make finals this year, no reason we can't be one of them. We shouldn't be waiting for a perfect list before we switch into final hunting mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a geniuene group of 30 players that could all be Best 22. All of which have a preseason or two under their belt and at least 10-15 games experience.

Cox, Duman, Logue, Tucker, Darcy, Nyhuis, Coyler, Matera, Hughes, Kersten, McCarthy. All these guys have 3-4+ preseasons under their belt now.

Banfield, Switta, Giro and Crowden coming into their 2nd year now.

Last year we had games where we were playing 6+ 1st year players all with under 10 games experience. This year for a 1st year player to get a game in the big leagues they will bloody well have had to earn it at Peel.

Our depth should see us more consistent and competitive throughout the year. Should see us not fall off a cliff near the end of the season. Should lessen the impact of injuries.

Consistency should allow us to see if Ross has what it takes to get us back into challenge mode. He's not going to have the young and inexperienced excuse this year. I've said it plenty of times now but their are a lot of flawed teams thinking they can make finals this year, no reason we can't be one of them. We shouldn't be waiting for a perfect list before we switch into final hunting mode.
Agree with much of what you say here, although "young and inexperienced" isn't an excuse, it's an absolutely real factor in setting expectations on how successful a team is likely to be. If a team has an average age below 24, is carrying 5 or more under 20's, or has a significant percentage of inexperienced players week-in week-out, they're bound to seriously struggle to get up over older teams.

Freo actually performed pretty well for the most part last year against teams in their own age/experience demographic.

I'd also throw into the mix the edge having viably threatening key forwards gives to a team. I reckon having the big man talent up and going in the forward line is vital in helping to eke out goals from limited opportunities when momentum's against you and on the flipside capitalising strongly when it's with you. We saw a demonstration of that in the Brisbane game last year, with WC and keeping teams like Sydney, Geelong and Hawkfawn afloat while their talent and age drain has their list listing.

I quite like the Logue versus Duman debate. They are fairly different players, yet apparently compete for the same spot.

I think both of them should be trialed in other parts of the ground during games. Duman has previously played wing and could make an interesting option there. And if Logue can actually do some midfield time, that could be quite interesting.

It is really interesting to see how this progresses.

I quite like the Logue versus Duman debate. They are fairly different players, yet apparently compete for the same spot.

I think both of them should be trialed in other parts of the ground during games. Duman has previously played wing and could make an interesting option there. And if Logue can actually do some midfield time, that could be quite interesting.

Superman vs Batman

Haha

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand why they compete for the same spot. IMHO we have 4 locks in defence - Pearce, Hamling, Wilson and Ryan. Realistically we need 3 more defenders. Maybe one is SHill who spends 60% in defence and 25% midfield. Still 2 more. Conca maybe, but I think he will play as a bullocking midfielder.

Surely Logue and Duman can both earn a spot.

I don't understand why they compete for the same spot. IMHO we have 4 locks in defence - Pearce, Hamling, Wilson and Ryan. Realistically we need 3 more defenders. Maybe one is SHill who spends 60% in defence and 25% midfield. Still 2 more. Conca maybe, but I think he will play as a bullocking midfielder.

Surely Logue and Duman can both earn a spot.
Possibly. I think too tall.

got a feeling Ross with move Blakely to the midfield and replace him with Cerra - where he played his best football last year and makes him less susceptible to fading later in the year. If Shill is ok, I would like to see him more at HF this year (instead of HB) feeding into the F50 to make the most of Hogan and Lobb and co with less stress on his body.

I’d try and fit Duman and Logue into the side in time tbh. Duman despite his height doesn’t really have the weight to go with talls. However he’s a good kick and quick enough. Same with Logue except he does have the extra weight required.

Back Six of: Ryan, Hamling, Logue, Wilson, Pearce, Duman. Blakely, Hill and Cerra into the midfield where they belong. Conca to rotate through.

I honestly can’t see all three of Hogan, Lobb and Taberner working. Too slow. One of Cox or McCarthy will be very dangerous if Lobb and Hogan are at their best.

I’d try and fit Duman and Logue into the side in time tbh. Duman despite his height doesn’t really have the weight to go with talls. However he’s a good kick and quick enough. Same with Logue except he does have the extra weight required.

Back Six of: Ryan, Hamling, Logue, Wilson, Pearce, Duman. Blakely, Hill and Cerra into the midfield where they belong. Conca to rotate through.

I honestly can’t see all three of Hogan, Lobb and Taberner working. Too slow. One of Cox or McCarthy will be very dangerous if Lobb and Hogan are at their best.
Duman, Logue and Hamling all can play on smalls, hell even 200cm Pearce has the agility and speed to play on players 10cm shorter than him.

There is going to be a huge advantage to marking and contested marking this year. Having dominant rucks get a huge bonus with the new ruck rules, new push in the back interpretations will reward strong talls who can take front position and height mismatches and lastly the kick out rules aid in facilitating a breakneck speed, long kicking style which we have aerial prowess and kickers to execute.

I genuinely believe we have the versatility and agility in enough of our talls to play 4 taller forwards in Lobb, Hogan, Cox and McCarthy as well as 4 taller defenders in Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Duman. Add in Sandilands, Fyfe and Mundy and we'll have the ability to stretch defences.

It might not eventuate fully this year but with time to jell but there is huge potential for this list to dominate games when we get to play our new brand of football.

Logue leaps. Duman doesn't. That is a role changing difference.

I think there will always be a genuine midfielder type in our backline rather than 4 talls. Gives us great rotation options.

Does anyone one see Logue moving into the midfield? He has a strong body, great athleticism and quick hands. If he was able to block in there or receive and deliver the ball to our forwards as he is a good kick, it would add a lot to our midfield . He can also kick goals which doesn’t hurt!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back